George Fords Departure - Why ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Tigers86asw »

I heard Mike Fords sacking was quite brutal in its delivery. Combined with everything else I’m not surprised but, as we’ve said, he’s a world class player and it’s a big blow.

Could have been a true great of Tigers akin to Johnno or Richards but now, with Sanderson’s arrogant public pronouncements it leaves a bitter taste. Sale will not be going anywhere fast under Sanderson. He’s not good enough.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

I can’t be angry with Ford. He stood by us in our seasons of need, despite having accepted less than Sale were offering before to come here and then having a pay cut. Frankly I’d be surprised if it hasn’t been a tough decision for the lad. Pretty sure it’s not about the money, or anything good at Sale rugby club, and certainly not about any coaching talent there, because frankly there isn’t any.

Good luck to the lad with everything.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Ford senior's sacking was under the old regime - the current incumbents had nothing to do with it.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:28 pm Questions have been raised about Steve Borthwicks management and decisions and they have been found to be in the right direction and I expect nothing less going forward.
Not heard of any current players complaining, not heard of any fans complaining
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

dunks43 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:46 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:28 pm Questions have been raised about Steve Borthwicks management and decisions and they have been found to be in the right direction and I expect nothing less going forward.
Not heard of any current players complaining, not heard of any fans complaining
No complaints but questions have been raised (scatching heads) at some of the decisions around selection, but decisions have been correct and bourne out in the results. Fans are positively behind the current coaching team.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:41 pm Ford senior's sacking was under the old regime - the current incumbents had nothing to do with it.
Actually Ford Snr left after Borthwick was appointed.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:16 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:10 pm Sanderson is making me review my thoughts on Steve Diamond. No doubt BT will be dribbling all over this like the pathetic fanboys they are.

It would be priceless if it became a case of loose lips sink ships...although Sale could genuinely be investing in the business & get a cut of any profits etc.....

Maybe we hadn't got rid of all the blabbermouths out of the squad after all? This has been a grubby little affair, the Northern faction especially don't come out of this very well.
I don't think it will be like under Murphy and Co,if someone has opened their trap I have a feeling Borths will deal with them severely!
I know a few people around the club and they have been told that it's more than their jobs are worth to leak any classified information.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sapajo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:33 pm
Old Hob wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:41 pm Ford senior's sacking was under the old regime - the current incumbents had nothing to do with it.
Actually Ford Snr left after Borthwick was appointed.
Indeed, MF only left at end of 20/21 season, Tigers announced it on 17th June, so only 5 months ago...around time GF entered last 12 months of contract, I think.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/co ... 7-mikeford
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Always liked the way George played the game going right back to his days in the team as a youngster. I did think at a couple of games this season, particularly Saints away that he seemed detached from us fans calling our thanks to him and the squad doing their lap of honour.
He will want his place back in the England team so will, I’m sure, give of his best.
According to most reports Tigers offered a better financial package than Sale so George will want his England place back.
Will it be Genge to Bristol next? What will be will be but as long as we keep a Steve Borthwick, Aled Walters and Sinfield we will be just fine.
Thanks George. Good luck but not v Tigers.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Voyager1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:51 pm It is very sad news to hear that George has decided to leave, but it doesn’t surprise me. I’ve been saying for quite a while now that George’s body language has not been looking good.

The only possible reason for his departure in my mind boils down to the fact that he was not made captain. When Borthwick announced that Ellis Genge had been appointed captain, I think a lot of supporters including myself wondered why.

I can understand that because Ellis is a loose canon it was his way to give him responsibility to make him grow up. However to ride roughshod over a talented and highly respected individuals aspirations to captain his club was a mistake.

George had earned the right to captain the Tigers, George had become, by far the most pivotal player, and the one that added most value to the team, he would always be the first name on my team sheet.

I know that one man is never as big as the club itself, but the opportunity to cement and retain his talents at the club, is in my mind, a massive oversight by the head coach.

I now hear that the the Tigers had countered and bettered Sales salary offer, so money is not the driver behind his decision.

Perhaps only time will tell if Mr Borthwick was right or wrong in his decision in appointing his captain.
You don’t seem to be waiting for time to tell about the captaincy decision - but have clearly made up your mind already!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Lozowski would be the perfect replacement for me, as for George, like football players being loyal is limited these days, only person locally I can think of being loyal is Vardy at LCFC but he is on a bumper weekly wage which matches any of the bigger teams, rugby financially is a different level and George as we have seen has no affinity or longevity to the Tigers and has walked the plank before. The way this has come out is pathetic and Sanderson has clearly instigated it, let’s hope George continues to play well, if not hook him and bring in Burns (more than capable to run the show) or Hegarty (experienced head) in the 10 shirt. GF has a world class pack supporting his skills at the mo, he is an excellent player who can be replaced, hope he wins us a pot this year and I wish him adios again!!! :smt006
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

[quote="Jimmy Skitz"

Leicester City had multiple players living in the Manchester area the year they won the PL, why must George live in Leicester to play here? I don't buy that excuse sorry, good thing about being in the middle of the country is we are basically a couple of hours from everywhere, commute ...
[/quote]

Correct George doesn’t have to live in Leicester to play for Leicester, he can live wherever he wants but also he can play for whoever he wants to when out of contract. In the professional era, no player owes any club when they are out of contract.

On a fine day Oval Park is a 2 1/2 hour drive form Oldham where he grew up which means a 5 hours daily commute. That’s not a short commute and may be something he doesn’t want to do. And that doesn’t take into account the usual M1 or M6 jams. He may not want to do that and that is his choice alone.

May be he could stay in a hotel during the week but that means he is away from his family during the week which might be why he wants to be North to see them more regularly. We will never know and I would not expect any employee to do that you f they do not want to.

A city player earning Ford’s Annual Salary in a week or a month may be prepared to make a few more sacrifices when it comes to a commute or family life. Again that is their choice and no one else’s.

We will never really know the ins and outs of the private conversations held in the Tigers Boardroom so it’s not worth speculating. George has made up his mind and I for one wish him well in his new venture.

I put to you, would you choose to commute 5 hours each day if another more suitable job was available with a 30 minute commute, similar money and closer to your family ties or private commitments?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Why ?....
Because blood is thicker than water (in my opinion).....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Good Luck in the next chapter of your career George. You have been one of the greatest 10s to play at Leicester and your commitment during our darkest period was testament to your character. Your control in the recent East Midlands Derby really showed the quality you bring to the team and Sale will be very lucky to have you next season. I can’t say I am not disappointed with the news as I thought we were starting to build a strong team around you but you have to do what is right for you in this period of your life.

Now before you go can you please help to lift the Premiership Trophy at the end of the season! And if it is not too much trouble the Champions Cup also!
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Mail now confirming he took a £200,000 paycut.

But worth remembering that’s only £68,000 each year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... irmed.html

Whilst I’m not surprised he’s gone to my mind he has tarnished his legacy as he will now be a player who won a lot of caps but never really achieved in club rugby what he should’ve have.

He left Leicester at our peak (as 2nd choice to Floody - rumoured in a strop as we wouldn’t guarantee 10 shirt) , went to Bath and bar 1 year (never equalled the sum of their parts), came back under bad circumstances (burns swap) and now leaves just as we are getting good again.

It is clear that he has valued being with Joe and his dad as key factors in his rugby decision making.

But he should have been winning 🏆 given his skill set.

Over the last few years he has been the shining light at Leicester and clearly his dad leaving, unhappiness with paycuts, splitting from fiancé, losing England job, moving back up North must have all played a significant part.

I wish him the best for the future and hope that this is a life based decision to make him
happy , I guess we will find out in 3 years if he goes for big bucks abroad or stays in Sale.

Good Luck for the future and I hope you & Manu have stinkers whenever we have Saleaway