George Fords Departure - Why ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by jgriffin »

Sale is not home to Ford, wrong side of town totally, a different culture. Saddleworth, though, nicer for us Northerners. The M60 makes it easy to get to AJBell from Saddleworth. Makes sense McGinty leaving, and SB getting some backup in, next season big label 10 from SH?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

He's not leaving for financial or rugby reasons imho. I wonder if Manu will be delighted to welcome him as a teammate again?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

It wouldn’t surprise me if he’d told the club he wasn’t going to extend his contract at the start of this season, or indeed the end of the last. That would explain the captaincy decision. It’s possible that this has only come out now because Sanderson can’t keep his mouth shut
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

northerntiger wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:19 pm It wouldn’t surprise me if he’d told the club he wasn’t going to extend his contract at the start of this season, or indeed the end of the last. That would explain the captaincy decision. It’s possible that this has only come out now because Sanderson can’t keep his mouth shut
Yeah, he'd make an excellent spy, wouldn't he? Tightlipped🤣🤣
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Seems very strange how Ford espoused his undying love of Tigers and yet now when Tigers after many years of decline are doing so well in the premiership, he just ups and leaves? In my opinion if Tigers did offer him more cash then perhaps its down to the state of his current relationship with the club and he simply wanted out with a nice cash parachute. Very sorry to see him go and what the club will or will not do to replace him will speak volumes of our ambitions going forward.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Voyager1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:51 pm It is very sad news to hear that George has decided to leave, but it doesn’t surprise me. I’ve been saying for quite a while now that George’s body language has not been looking good.

The only possible reason for his departure in my mind boils down to the fact that he was not made captain. When Borthwick announced that Ellis Genge had been appointed captain, I think a lot of supporters including myself wondered why.

I can understand that because Ellis is a loose canon it was his way to give him responsibility to make him grow up. However to ride roughshod over a talented and highly respected individuals aspirations to captain his club was a mistake.

George had earned the right to captain the Tigers, George had become, by far the most pivotal player, and the one that added most value to the team, he would always be the first name on my team sheet.

I know that one man is never as big as the club itself, but the opportunity to cement and retain his talents at the club, is in my mind, a massive oversight by the head coach.

I now hear that the the Tigers had countered and bettered Sales salary offer, so money is not the driver behind his decision.

Perhaps only time will tell if Mr Borthwick was right or wrong in his decision in appointing his captain.
Much more likely he wasn’t made captain because the club knew this was on the cards.

The rumour has been around for ages and as you say, his body language off for quite some time.

I didn’t want it to be so, but I doubt those close to the situation are truly surprised even if they are disappointed
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

It's a real shame, he will be badly missed.

Replacement?

Pollard from Montpellier?
Grayson from Saints (would he ever join the old enemy)?
Jacob Umanga?

Any of those would be good.
Soggypitch
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

I’m not going to speculate as to why George has decided to move on but I do think it’s a strange move. A poorly supported club compared to Tigers and he’s also part of the massive revival that’s ongoing here and I’m amazed he’s leaving to go to Sale. A move to France, meanwhile, would not have surprised me one bit.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Perhaps the Friday night home games was a factor......we can all speculate but only George knows why. He was out of contract and an opportunity has come his way.
Good luck to him for the future.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Voyager1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:51 pm It is very sad news to hear that George has decided to leave, but it doesn’t surprise me. I’ve been saying for quite a while now that George’s body language has not been looking good.

The only possible reason for his departure in my mind boils down to the fact that he was not made captain. When Borthwick announced that Ellis Genge had been appointed captain, I think a lot of supporters including myself wondered why.

I can understand that because Ellis is a loose canon it was his way to give him responsibility to make him grow up. However to ride roughshod over a talented and highly respected individuals aspirations to captain his club was a mistake.

George had earned the right to captain the Tigers, George had become, by far the most pivotal player, and the one that added most value to the team, he would always be the first name on my team sheet.

I know that one man is never as big as the club itself, but the opportunity to cement and retain his talents at the club, is in my mind, a massive oversight by the head coach.

I now hear that the the Tigers had countered and bettered Sales salary offer, so money is not the driver behind his decision.

Perhaps only time will tell if Mr Borthwick was right or wrong in his decision in appointing his captain.
If he’s gone because he wasn’t made captain then he’s a bigger baby than I thought he already was!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LtPigeon
Tiger Cub

Post by LtPigeon »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/how-sale ... sanderson/

An interesting explanation behind his decision.
Perhaps the renovation of his girlfriend's Italian Restaurant may have something to do with it?
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

As gutted as I am to see him go, especially to a club which in my opinion are no more likely to win the title and are nowhere near as well supported, he doesn't owe us anything. Without him we would have been relegated in 2019 and he was the shining light in a truly miserable time for the club. For that he has my upmost respect and goodwill. It would be a dream if he could lift the title with us at the end of the season.

As for the future, at least the club is now in a good place and we are trying to attract players from a position of strength. Players will look at us now and will want to join us for rugby reasons, having seen the turnaround under Steve Borthwick. Borthwick is an intelligent rugby man and will know the qualities that he wants in a fly-half. I have faith that we will get it right.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

LtPigeon wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 pm https://www.rugbypass.com/news/how-sale ... sanderson/

Perhaps the renovation of his girlfriend's Italian Restaurant may have something to do with it?
And on that point it’s interesting that the ex-Saracens coach says:

‘ George has got a coffee shop in Saddleworth next door to his girlfriend’s Italian which they are renovating.
“We are going to help them with that …..’.

Co-investment anybody?!! :smt003
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

My own view - once Tigers ditched his Dad it was only a matter of time. I suspect they are quite a tight knit family and GF was bound to vote with his feet at some point.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

MCC1964 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:20 pm
LtPigeon wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:12 pm https://www.rugbypass.com/news/how-sale ... sanderson/

And on that point it’s interesting that the ex-Saracens coach says:

‘ George has got a coffee shop in Saddleworth next door to his girlfriend’s Italian which they are renovating.
“We are going to help them with that …..’.

Co-investment anybody?!! :smt003
Some unwanted attention from the SCM coming to Sale soon then...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere