Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:09 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 pm Toomua did us over way more than Ford did originally, so no thank you.
How so?
Ford potentially left us twice for premiership clubs
Toomua left because Chieka unexpectedly wanted him for the RWC.

I have more respect for the later generally
Cheika publicly begging for Toomua on BT Sport is an interesting use of ‘unexpectedly’, one player lied and signed for a club elsewhere then did a half arsed job until he could go at the first opportunity, the other stayed and was loyal during the toughest of times and saved us from relegation.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:28 pm
Old Hob wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:34 pm But will we be facing a De Klerk/ Ford pairing? And, if so, how dangerous will that be particularly if they recover last season's form.

And, to Richie B; I've already said I wouldn't want Farrell or Jackson at any price
Faf is off to Japan apparently and is one of several of their SA contingent on the move (if rumours are to be believed)
de Jager is off apparently too.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Simmonds is far more likely to be available all year round, rather than someone like Pollard.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 am
RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:09 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 pm Toomua did us over way more than Ford did originally, so no thank you.
How so?
Ford potentially left us twice for premiership clubs
Toomua left because Chieka unexpectedly wanted him for the RWC.

I have more respect for the later generally
Cheika publicly begging for Toomua on BT Sport is an interesting use of ‘unexpectedly’, one player lied and signed for a club elsewhere then did a half arsed job until he could go at the first opportunity, the other stayed and was loyal during the toughest of times and saved us from relegation.
Yeh loyal whilst on around 600K one of the biggest earners in the premiership nearly twice as much as the former.... Also find it funny that Toomua usually gets singled out during that season despite it being very clear now how rotten the club was.
Also was he being loyal to us or his dad?

Pretty interesting that Ford hasn't lasted more than 1 season at a club without a family member involved since he first left us
2013-2017: Dad head Coach
Dad get sacked leaves
2017-2019: Joe at Tigers
2019-2021: Mike
Dad gets replaced seems like he's leaving
Last edited by RagingBull on Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

If it is 1.6mil over 3 years then a stint in France or Japan at the end of that lines George’s pocket nicely, let’s hope when EJ gets the push whoever comes in as head coach of England picks George, be comedy grin time at Sanderson!!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If I'm right didn't Toomua genuinely believe his Oz career was over?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:55 am If I'm right didn't Toomua genuinely believe his Oz career was over?
It was till he started performing and Aus was struggling for 10/12 since Cooper was a no go for Cheika.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:55 am If I'm right didn't Toomua genuinely believe his Oz career was over?
Yeah he did. I rated Toomua, just wrong time for him at the club due to the mess it was in. He was also injured and got sent off on debut I think. Stop start, wanting to spend time with his wife and the call of international caps, which I would have thought would bring with it extra money.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:00 am
Yeah he did. I rated Toomua, just wrong time for him at the club due to the mess it was in. He was also injured and got sent off on debut I think. Stop start, wanting to spend time with his wife and the call of international caps, which I would have thought would bring with it extra money.
He also got some abuse from so-called fans on social media as well. The club was always taking a risk signing a top SH player in their prime international period. We were always at risk of Aus changing selection rules.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Not sure what it is that makes me think it but part of me suspects that the club were already aware that Ford would be moving on at the end of the season. Nothing to back that up (aside from bringing back Burns, which is quite high end as back up fly halves go) but I would not be surprised if the departure was known about, just maybe not the destination. Certainly a few clubs seemed to know that Ford was available, more than simply reaching the end of a contract and with the way the club is now run, I would be surprised if contract discussions did not take place pre season and the club would have wanted an answer by now.

In an ideal world, as has happened before, the club would like to announce the departure with news of a new signing and I suspect even Ford would not want it coming out like this but I guess a lack of class on the part of someone has seen a leak that is a handy boost for Sale with players leaving and performances not being up to standard.

I suspect that the club and player are now preparing statements to make this official before the weekend round of media questions.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:06 am
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:00 am
He also got some abuse from so-called fans on social media as well. The club was always taking a risk signing a top SH player in their prime international period. We were always at risk of Aus changing selection rules.
Think that was the most disgusting and disappointing thing in Toomua leaving was that he got abuse from people behind a keyboard with no balls to say it to his face. No one deserves abuse because they have decided to move on for personal and professional reasons. I hope Ford doesn’t get any abuse. He has made his decision for his family and himself, so we need to move on and wish a class player well in May with a title medal around his neck.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Its the timing and public nature of it thats :censored: me off the most about it. Yeah losing Ford is big news, but we're just getting things sorted. Looking like a really good TEAM, and now we have more crappy transfer stuff in the public eye again.

This stuff should not be allowed in the middle* of a season. Football has it right in only allowing talking to player at certain times of the year.

*Its not even the middle yet...
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I have no concerns one way or another on this.
If as it appears, this move is agreed, the he has I assume done it for long term financial security, and in what is effectively a short sporting career I understand his priority call.
Regarding the rest of the season, Ford appears a consummate professional, and from recent interviews he comes across as enjoying his rugby now as much as ever before. As such, I’m certain he’ll continue to perform at the highest possible level until the season end, especially if he holds out hope of getting back in the England picture.
Talking replacements, George’s marquee status gives us serious wiggle room should we be looking abroad. I do also find it interesting the tenuous conspiracy theories above, Burns as a high end backup, plus Lancaster, Hegarty and Socino, whilst they are or at George’s level, we do appear to have stocked the backup cupboard, so have we known this was coming for a while. Likewise the Simmonds situation could make some sense. If we are going English, then Simmonds or Lozowski are as good as we could realistically expect to aim for, and could join us on our journey sensibly adding to our armoury. Alternatively we may see a steady head for a year and target another prospect to get us beyond that.
Either way, our more recent recruitment gives me a sense of optimism.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I wouldn't be surprised if the club knew Ford was thinking of leaving at the start of season
I wouldn't be surprised if Ford had been talking to Sale since his dad left.

I personally think that Sale wasn't expecting AJ to leave and maybe had him down as back up for Ford, but Bristol came in with a bigger offer announced him and Sale panicked and went very publically about it since AJ was their fan favourite.

Tigers Unfortutely are caught in the fire due to other clubs being desperate to announce good news
Bristol have a awful start to the season
Sale underperforming and rumoured SA exodus

I guess from the Sale POV they will be doubling their attendance with the Ford family coming now.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:29 am
I guess from the Sale POV they will be doubling their attendance with the Ford family coming now.
:smt003