21/22 Injury/Suspension Thread

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: 21/22 Injury/Suspension Thread

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:40 pm Freddie didn’t look comfortable going off.. hopefully he’s back for the Quins match.. good to have a month break from Premiership action in the hope Hanro and Freddie are back fit
According to Austin he “popped a rib” if he can’t start in the prem cup then Lancaster to make a full debut
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:40 pm Freddie didn’t look comfortable going off.. hopefully he’s back for the Quins match.. good to have a month break from Premiership action in the hope Hanro and Freddie are back fit
Indeed. It was good to see Cyle playing. I do wonder how Jaco is progressing? Someone mentioned they saw Charlie warming up (?) but not confirmed.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Freddie Burns' rib injury...

"He took a bang in his ribs. He's a gutsy player, he didn't want to come of the pitch. He kept trying to play on. In the end he had to come off. Testament to the character of the bloke, he tried to guts it out, [he's a] tough man."
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:58 am Freddie Burns' rib injury...

"He took a bang in his ribs. He's a gutsy player, he didn't want to come of the pitch. He kept trying to play on. In the end he had to come off. Testament to the character of the bloke, he tried to guts it out, [he's a] tough man."
This highlights a major problem in the game for me.

Why was he even allowed to try and play on if the medics knew he was injured. No wonder there is an issue with concussions and head injuries.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:24 am

Why was he even allowed to try and play on if the medics knew he was injured. No wonder there is an issue with concussions and head injuries.
Sometimes a knock is just a knock. He was obviously not in too much pain so went to see if he could run it off and it just be a bit of bruising. It wasn't so he was replaced shortly after.

Concussion I feel is a different issue to ribs. Not that you are necessarily wrong in how concussion has been viewed previously and how it was considered something to shake off and get on with the game.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:34 am

Sometimes a knock is just a knock. He was obviously not in too much pain so went to see if he could run it off and it just be a bit of bruising. It wasn't so he was replaced shortly after.

Concussion I feel is a different issue to ribs. Not that you are necessarily wrong in how concussion has been viewed previously and how it was considered something to shake off and get on with the game.
I get your point, I just think that if the general approach to injuries is that the player decides he can play on when he's clearly injured then it's incredibly difficult to separate out that for head injuries. When there are 23 players in a squad, I really think medics and coaches/DoRs should be putting the player welfare first no matter what the player thinks. Yes, sometimes a player might be able to run in off after a few minutes but in the grand scheme of things it shouldn't matter if a player comes off occasionally when he could have played on. Players shouldn't be allowed to continue games with broken fingers or fractured cheek bones just because they can play through the pain.
CrumbieGrumbler

Post by CrumbieGrumbler »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:21 am
Indeed. It was good to see Cyle playing. I do wonder how Jaco is progressing? Someone mentioned they saw Charlie warming up (?) but not confirmed.
Can confirm that Clare was definitely warming up
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I absolutely agree that player welfare has to come first; however, if a player was taken off every time they had a knock we would end up playing 7s by the end of most games. Head injuries are different and are rightly checked if in doubt but often a player gets a 'stinger' and can run it off or gets a dead leg so would be keen to play on. If Freddie was in agony I'm sure he would have gone straight off so perhaps he felt like it was just a big hit that knocked the wind out of him and when he realised it was more serious he chose rightly to go off
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/hanloujohnce/status ... zJXAw&s=19

Rumours of Henderson having an injury and L.Chessum, not great news...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There is a bit of a difference in playing on after a knock to the head and the ribs (& elswhere on the body).

In less there is an obvious significant injury, like an obvious fracture that is palpably displaced or ligaments that are obviously damaged, it is entirely reasonable to trust the player to decide if the pain is too bad for them to continue for a while and see if the knock eases.
Take a tick in the goolies and most of us may think they were dying but the pain passes and the same applies to most knocks.

If the player looks to be struggling then the physio should intervene.

HIA's are there to help protect those who may be concussed and not able to assess their own fitness.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think the team today reflects the injury statuses of the squad.

I think we can confidently say that we're tight on 2nd rows and back rows...

Rumours of Henderson and Lewis Chessum being injured are the only reason for loanees (Hall & Poulett) to be getting game time over development guys. It also explains why we aren't risking Synman, Wells or Green because we're only at 4 fit senior locks with O.Chessum so risking them is not worth it.

In terms of the back row it suggests that Thom Smith must be injured or have fallen out with Borthwick in a major way, but the fact he played a preaseason game for Doncaster Knights, but has not been seen for them since more suggests injury.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:16 am I think the team today reflects the injury statuses of the squad.

I think we can confidently say that we're tight on 2nd rows and back rows...

Rumours of Henderson and Lewis Chessum being injured are the only reason for loanees (Hall & Poulett) to be getting game time over development guys. It also explains why we aren't risking Synman, Wells or Green because we're only at 4 fit senior locks with O.Chessum so risking them is not worth it.

In terms of the back row it suggests that Thom Smith must be injured or have fallen out with Borthwick in a major way, but the fact he played a preaseason game for Doncaster Knights, but has not been seen for them since more suggests injury.
I think it also shows SB can stick players where he likes and they’ll perform.. Prop playing 70 minutes at flanker.. no problem! Ford at 9.. no worries.. Nadolo at 8 :smt002
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Has anyone an update on Hegarty? My understanding is he didn't return from a HIA the weekend, and as reported in the media, he was previously having some ongoing medical issues related to concussion.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:06 pm Has anyone an update on Hegarty? My understanding is he didn't return from a HIA the weekend, and as reported in the media, he was previously having some ongoing medical issues related to concussion.
Deacon said he was taken off immediately, not for a HIA (though I’m sure he underwent one), and that he seemed ok in the changing rooms. Obviously a concussion can’t be diagnosed by sight, but it’s maybe promising that he’s ok.

Anyone heard anything re Ilione? I was very disappointed to see him leave the field injured in the second England u20 game. He looked powerful in his brief cameo.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:49 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:06 pm Has anyone an update on Hegarty? My understanding is he didn't return from a HIA the weekend, and as reported in the media, he was previously having some ongoing medical issues related to concussion.
Deacon said he was taken off immediately, not for a HIA (though I’m sure he underwent one), and that he seemed ok in the changing rooms. Obviously a concussion can’t be diagnosed by sight, but it’s maybe promising that he’s ok.

Anyone heard anything re Ilione? I was very disappointed to see him leave the field injured in the second England u20 game. He looked powerful in his brief cameo.
Perhaps Hegarty going off was more to do with being cautious given his recent history. Hope so. Yes agree with yours comments about Ilione.