LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by RichieB »

Surprised nobody asking for Farrell - seems to be a favourite of most posters :smt046

Seriously though, SB and Wilkes will be all over it I'm sure. If it is true (still not confirmed), then I'd prefer someone like Joe Simmonds. He is reliable from a tactical perspective, is allegedly going to be available, at almost 26 years old is about the right age/experience and is capable from the tee.

Given our relatively new-found abilities in the forwards and some impressive performances from the backs, it may be we don't need a massively creative 10.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Well I’ve always been a fan of Ford, and hope he stays, however unlikely it appears, but a Simmonds or Lozowski signing would certainly take the edge off.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The cap won't be freed up
Unless we take Ellis onto Marquee slot which would free up cap but not as much.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:49 pm The cap won't be freed up
Unless we take Ellis onto Marquee slot which would free up cap but not as much.
Fair point. But salary would.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Fordy is a good player but can be replaced, if he wants to go then so be it, let him join the Sanderson brigade, as many have said a quality fly half would jump at the chance of running the tigers midfield!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:45 pm Who knows about any rumoured departure. Until confirmation it is just a rumour.
That said
1. A lot of salary would be freed up. Not an insignificant problem in keeping various other players.
2. It isn't as if the cupboard is bare at FH.
3. The attraction of coming to Tigers with the current coaching team, players and recent record ought to be high enough to secure a like-for-like replacement if one were needed.
So, I'm pretty chilled about this...if the rumours are true
3.Nail.Hit.Head.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Borthwick will have a plan IF this is true.

Be that a marquee 10 like Pollard

OR

Bringing in a marquee lock like Kruis (others available) and signing a new 10 from another club.

Lozowski may be more likely if he gelled well with Wigglesworth they maybe have quite a bit of history together and he's one of our attack coaches
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

But will we be facing a De Klerk/ Ford pairing? And, if so, how dangerous will that be particularly if they recover last season's form.

And, to Richie B; I've already said I wouldn't want Farrell or Jackson at any price
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Can we use any money saved from Ford on Ollie Hassell-Collins, please? Not a 10, but don’t care!
Last edited by TigerMac3 on Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Downsouth wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:43 pm So Sale would have Ford and Manu outside the cap... that can't leave a lot for the rest. Maybe we can sign Curry and or Lood.....I'm not sure who their Marquee player is tbh. For any decent fly half in the world, replacing Ford would be a fantastic opportunity
George will be inside the cap if he does go because he has played for another prem club this year - has to wait 2 years before he can be moved to a marquee slot
Hehehehehehehehe
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:34 pm But will we be facing a De Klerk/ Ford pairing? And, if so, how dangerous will that be particularly if they recover last season's form.

And, to Richie B; I've already said I wouldn't want Farrell or Jackson at any price
Faf is off to Japan apparently and is one of several of their SA contingent on the move (if rumours are to be believed)
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:34 pm But will we be facing a De Klerk/ Ford pairing? And, if so, how dangerous will that be particularly if they recover last season's form.

Before you planted the idea of Jackson, I could not have imagined anything which would threaten my 40 plus years of supporting Tigers.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:28 pm

Faf is off to Japan apparently and is one of several of their SA contingent on the move (if rumours are to be believed)
Hence why they can afford Ford without him being a marquee
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Ford might stay. If he doesn’t Hegarty could well be an answer and get McPhillips back.
On the other hand, get Genge on board (Bristol sniffing around) and Ford will want to stay to add to what I be,I eve is his only winners medal, with us V Saints.
What will be will be!
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Given the recruitment success in SA, wonder if Wilks etc would look to the likes of Curwin Bosch, Boeta Chamberlain or Jordan Hendrikse as potential replacements.