Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS 2021

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:51 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:03 pm So big Jo Marler has the Lurgi (Positive Covid Test). Who comes in?
Or does he have a false positive like Farrell?!
Positive lat flow on Monday then positive PCR to confirm for Marler so unlikely.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Suggestion that Bevan Rodd will be the replacement called up. I really rate Rodd so I'd be happy to see that. England have lots of props with very high tackle counts and/or ones that are good ball carriers but they haven't had much breakdown presence from a prop for a long time which Rodd offers.

Trevor Davison is already in the squad and can play both sides but I believe England have been viewing him as a TH.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

ABClub wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:07 pm Suggestion that Bevan Rodd will be the replacement called up. I really rate Rodd so I'd be happy to see that. England have lots of props with very high tackle counts and/or ones that are good ball carriers but they haven't had much breakdown presence from a prop for a long time which Rodd offers.

Trevor Davison is already in the squad and can play both sides but I believe England have been viewing him as a TH.
Rodd has many attributes but, like Obano, is nowhere near an international scrummager.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:40 pm Sapajo. Am I to believe by your dictionary/Wikipedia description you had to go and find out what Lurgi (Lurgy) is.
LOL
Yep :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ABClub wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:07 pm Suggestion that Bevan Rodd will be the replacement called up. I really rate Rodd so I'd be happy to see that. England have lots of props with very high tackle counts and/or ones that are good ball carriers but they haven't had much breakdown presence from a prop for a long time which Rodd offers.

Bevan Rodd what a great name, sounds like a new ramming device :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:23 am Absolutely, or as close to the end as possible. I think for a lot of people, it is the extra things like being able to go to the bar, banter with the opposite fans, etc that is the appeal over sitting at home (which is normally much clearer and better to understand with the commentary and ref mike, etc).

It's such a stop-start game that standing up to allow others to get a drink also has no bearing on my enjoyment of a match either.
There seem to be people who have no appreciation of the game and don't wait until the action stops.
Get up once you a pint and once for the other job, by all means. It's when people drink excessively don't watch the game and get up 4 or 5 times. At the England match I might as well have stood up the whole game! I'm off to see the Aussie game this Saturday, and as the Ko is 5.30 I expect it will be worse.

For England games you put you money down and get the seat you are allocated. No choosing.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Could be worse. There was a group behind me who did little but discuss the footie they were watching on their phones
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I don’t know the exact pricing at twickenham but I suspect that is a factor in it. It’s a ‘day out’ and that’s why they can charge the prices that they can. I must admit it lacks the atmosphere of the principality which I never feel has the same snobbish attitude.

It’s one of the reasons why the club grounds like Kingsholm and Welford Road are the haven for actual rugby supporters. Twickenham has always been full this of idiots which is a real shame.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Nothing new I'm afraid. Back in the days of our annual days out at HQ who didn't witness the plethora of hangers on to a winning team shouting "Tigers", but had no idea where Terry Wogan's 'lost city of Leicester' was.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Twickenham is full of hoyks who just go for the beer. The participating clubs at the premiership final get about 8000 tickets each . Probably about 20k tickets go to corporate who go for the food and beer. I have been to twickenham about 20 times and decided not to go about 5 years ago as it is a soulless concrete bowl full of people getting up and down throughout the game to get to the bar and toilets. Club rugby is a far more pleasant experience bar the odd numpty.
A2O
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Went to England v Italy a few years ago, bloke next to me kept asking what the Spurs latest score was !! No interest in the rugby.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:12 pm Twickenham is full of hoyks who just go for the beer. The participating clubs at the premiership final get about 8000 tickets each . Probably about 20k tickets go to corporate who go for the food and beer. I have been to twickenham about 20 times and decided not to go about 5 years ago as it is a soulless concrete bowl full of people getting up and down throughout the game to get to the bar and toilets. Club rugby is a far more pleasant experience bar the odd numpty.
It has always been a balance between the disinterested in Twickers and the beer throwers (or worse) in the Millenium old days. I'd rather go to a game in a proper rugby ground, or even sit and listen while shovelling pints in the City Arms across the road in Cardiff.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Perhaps I'm fortunate in that the worst I have witnessed close up is overt boisterousness (fueled by alcohol) at Twickenham.I believe though, come whatever the sport any form of success will result in an increase in (casual) fan numbers.We only have to look at attendances at Welford Road this season in comparison to those when Leicester were struggling to see this.Sometimes though the marks that they leave live long in the memory.
International Rugby for me though , especially at Twickenham, disrespects our game far more than the domestic competitions and grounds .In fact one could easily class England's HQ as the largest pub in the Britain where the actual game and its traditional qualities and values are an afterthought to many - if that.
Never begrudge anyone anything - let alone a good time...but irrespective of who is playing when 'respect the kicker' is either ignored or not even noticed then surely we can ask the question exactly who is attending and why are they there ?
But as in every walk of life , money talks.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I stand in the terrace, therefore people going back and to for the odd pint has never bothered me, as long as they are polite about it I am always courteous back.
Personally I won’t sit for the same reasons I won’t sit at a gig ... for me these are events of ebb and flow, natural movement, that is the joy of it. I can’t bear to be told what to do and how to do it. Many of the seated areas are filled with people who see these events more like a theatre or a classical music concert than an interactive event which is excellent for them, if that floats their boat but I wish no part of it.
Many of them object if you shout too loudly or especially if you jump up when something exciting is happening. Good luck to them. The pre season games where we were forced to sit were a tortuous Experience for me and if ever they gave up the terrace at MWWR I’m afraid I would have to give up my season ticket that I have now held for 26 years since I stopped playing seriously. To me you may as well watch it on TV if that was the situation.
More often than not I drive to the rugby and therefore do not drink but on the occasions that I come on the train or get a lift, I like to have a drink and yes will even nip off during an injury break or a mid field lull in play, to get one .... hardly a hanging offence! .... I would hazard to add it may even add to my vocal contribution. Rarely is there complaint or comment in the terrace unless it is a humorous observation or a request for a slurp.
I may add that if we did not sell the volume of beer , cider etc that we do on match days then we would be missing some very considerable revenue as we did during the lockdown that led to near financial ruination of the club. So I would say to all the beer consumers in the ground please keep going and buying more just be polite about it and try not to antagonise Mr Quite next to you, he’s trying to listen on his ref link and god forbid don’t spill any on his Tartan Rug, or his comfy seat cushion and please don’t kick his Bovril flask over. Spend as much as you like I would like to see the club affording to keep all our wonderful players.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

T.Young starts, Cuthbert back in and Adams starts at centre. Bashan moved to 8!!!!???

Wales team to face Fiji: Liam Williams; Alex Cuthbert, Josh Adams, Johnny Williams, Louis Rees-Zammit; Dan Biggar, Kieran Hardy; Rhys Carre, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis; Will Rowlands, Adam Beard; Ellis Jenkins, Thomas Young, Taine Basham.

Reps: Bradley Roberts, Gareth Thomas, WillGriff John, Christ Tshiunza, Seb Davies, Tomos Williams, Callum Sheedy, Nick Tompkins.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer