Premiership Rugby Cup Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Premiership Rugby Cup Squad

Post by TigerMac3 »

I know it’s a couple of weeks off yet, but really interested to see the make up of the squad Vs Sale at MWWR. Hoping to see a handful of youngsters get some time, as well as some of the guys who have had limited Prem minutes.

We’re really starting to see the benefits of the like of JVP, Martin, Chessum, Kelly getting game time 12-18months ago during the ‘darker days’ (think Wasps away during lockdown!). So hoping we can start to bring these lads through now.

Whitcome / Hurd
Vanes / Clare
Heyes / Richardson
L Chessum / Henderson
T Manz / Snyman
Brink / O Chessum
Evans
Illione
Law / JVP
Lancaster
Socino / Cusick
Porter
Browning / Saumaki
Murimurivalu
Hegarty
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Rugby Cup Squad

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Sounds good to me.. perhaps a bit of experience in there alongside the youngsters
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would go with
v Sale
1. Van Wyk, 2. Cowan-Dickie, 3. Heyes
4. Henderson, 5. O.Chessum
6. Ilione, 7. Reffell (C), 8. Brink
9. JVP, 10. Burns
12. Socino, 13. Porter
11. Browning, 14. Murimurivalu, 15. Hegarty

16. Clare, 17. Whitcombe, 18. Hurd
19. Manz, 20. Evans
21. Law, 22. Lancaster, 23. Cusick

v Wasps
1. Whitcombe, 2. Clare, 3. Hurd
4. Henderson, 5. Snyman
6. Ilione, 7. Brink, 8. Evans
9. Edwards, 10. Lancaster
12. Socino, 13. Porter,
11. Browning, 14. Van Wyk, 15. Murimurivalu

16. Vanes, 17. Richardson, 18. Hoyt
19. Manz, 20. Smith
21. Law, 22. Hegarty, 23. Cusick

My slight worry is that it would mean some players will be having around 3 weeks off before a game and a big game Quins @ H
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Agree on giving Reffell the armband on second thoughts. Hasn’t played too many minutes with the recent Bok bases back row.

Be really good to see the likes of Whitcombe, Vanes, Ilione and Browning get a hit out if poss with the pressure off to a degree. Although am sure that SB will still have them all systems go for a win!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Please, please can we see Browning in the PRC this year?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Burns is out for a while would like to see Socino or Hegarty given a game starting at 10 (maybe move Lancaster to 12).

Maybe one game
9. JVP, 10. Hegarty
12. Lancaster, 13. Socino
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:11 am If Burns is out for a while would like to see Socino or Hegarty given a game starting at 10 (maybe move Lancaster to 12).

Maybe one game
9. JVP, 10. Hegarty
Good shout. Would like to see that :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:11 am If Burns is out for a while would like to see Socino or Hegarty given a game starting at 10 (maybe move Lancaster to 12).

Maybe one game
9. JVP, 10. Hegarty
Agree the scrum halves are likely to be JvP, Laws and Edwards so experience at 10 would be good, then have Lancaster try his Kelly impression at 12.

Porter at 13 for me but otherwise exactly your backline for me v Sale. With Potter missing v Bath might give him the next game v Wasps as a sharpener.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Also would like to see Whitcombe starting both games TBH.
Van Wyk has a good engine for a prop but he has struggled with at scrum (Granted I do think our locks might be a bit lightweight come scrum time) Whitcombe impressed with his brief time last season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Who does everyone pick for captain?

Just saw,Reffell.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I like RB's suggestions in the main but I'd rest Van Wyk for next weekend because he looked exhausted last night plus with Richardson and Whitcombe we have options.

With Lancaster I'd keep him at 10 but use Socino at 12 and Hegarty at 15 so that whilst he gets the experience of leading the team at 10 for a couple of games he also has the two other playmakers in the backline to take the pressure off of him if he needs it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:41 pm I like RB's suggestions in the main but I'd rest Van Wyk for next weekend because he looked exhausted last night plus with Richardson and Whitcombe we have options.

With Lancaster I'd keep him at 10 but use Socino at 12 and Hegarty at 15 so that whilst he gets the experience of leading the team at 10 for a couple of games he also has the two other playmakers in the backline to take the pressure off of him if he needs it.
I like your style 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Freddie looked in a bit of difficulty (potentially a rib issue?) so I'm presuming him injured, sadly.

I think getting Leatigaga some game time is important heading towards Quins, Bordeaux and Connacht. I still think he's the better player than van Wyk. His limited use does make me wonder if there's already a move planned for next season. French clubs would pay a lot for a ball carrying prop that scrums both sides.

I also think these games could be a really good chance to get Chessum and Martin some minutes at second row to see how they go.

I'd keep Brink in the 23 if he's fit. If Liebenberg, van Staden and Wiese are available in December then he might not make the 23 given how well the back row has performed, hence minutes here would be valuable. If we still have starters unavailable then he will need some game time to be ready after the layoff. Win win getting him time on the pitch I think.

vs Sale

1.Leatigaga 2.Clare/TCD 3.Heyes 4.Chessum 5.Henderson 6.Smith 7.Reffell (c) 8.Brink
9.JvP 10.Hegarty 11.Browning 12.Lancaster 13.Porter 14.van Wyk 15.Kini

16.Vanes 17.Whitcombe 18.Hurd 19.Manz 20.Ilione 21.Law 22.Socino 23.Cusick

vs Wasps

1.Whitcombe 2.Clare/TCD 3.Heyes 4.Martin 5.Henderson 6.Ilione 7.Reffell (c) 8.Smith
9.JvP 10.Lancaster 11.Browning 12.Socino 13.Porter 14.Kini 15.Hegarty

16.Vanes 17.Leatigaga 18.Hurd 19.Manz 20.Brink 21.Law 22.Cusick 23.van Wyk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The current game plan is pretty intensive. Dan Cole looks like he's sacrificed a bit of scrummaging power in order to be able to keep up with the demands of the line speed. I wonder if Borthwick doesn't think Leatigaga can do that for more than a 25 minute cameo off the bench.

I very much want to see Chessum get another go in the row but partnering the forgotten man Henderson. Think that could be a nice combination.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Reffel needs a rest as do all the players who have been so brilliant in the 8 wins start.
For me personally, and for quite a few of us at Welford Road last night we think it’s an ideal time to give players who haven’t featured much to get some game time!
Main thing now is for George Ford not to get called up as he needs the rest: same with the rest of last nights team apart from Brink who might need a bit more game time e in his legs!
Sale too will probably want rest many players!