AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: AUTUMN INTERNATIONALS 2021

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:36 pm Well....people wanted Smith, Dombrandt and Simmonds and they’ve been picked. Let’s hope the moaning stops now....unlikely. Assuming they’re picked, let’s see how they go against South Africa, in particular.

I actually think Vunipolas and George were superb at Bath, so if they carry on like that they’ll be back in for the 6 Nations. I’ve got no qualms with them being Sarries players.

I’d actually think of maybe having Tuilagi at 12 with Slade at 13.....if Smith can recreate his Quins form, Slade could be the beneficiary. Radwan starts for having the gas. Steward at 15, although Freeman and Furbank have been very good and would fit in with this new look England style that looks to be happening.
ZERO chance Farrell doesnt start sadly,shoulder boy is favourite number 1
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:36 pmI’d actually think of maybe having Tuilagi at 12 with Slade at 13.....if Smith can recreate his Quins form, Slade could be the beneficiary. Using Manu like they do the Quins battering ram at 12.
That would mean no starting place for Farrell, and I can't see that happening, no matter how much sense it may make!

Unless of course it was an aspiration for 'the finishers' line up towards the end of a match.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:13 pm
anz3001 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:11 pm What club games are we playing during this period?
From Page 7 courtesy of OakhamTiger32
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:39 pm So the squad will travel to Jersey on Monday 25 October for a five-day training camp before returning to England ahead of their trio of home fixtures against Tonga, Australia and South Africa. England will first face Tonga on Saturday 6 November (3.15pm KO). They will then host Australia on Saturday 13 November (5.30pm KO) and in their final game, take on world champions South Africa on Saturday 20 November (3.15pm KO).

Impact on Tigers fixtures means we will be without Genge, Dolly, Martin, Youngs and Steward for the following:

Round 7: Sat 30 Oct - Saints (A)
Round 8: Fri 05 Nov - Bath (H)
Sat 13 Nov - Sale (H) *Prem Cup
Sat 20 Nov - Wasps (A) *Prem Cup
Round 9: We then have our rest week in Round 9

Depending on rest periods we may have the lads back for Sun 05 Dec at home vs Quins.

Saints will be without Lawes, Ludlam, Freeman and Furbank from an England perspective and Biggar from a Wales perspective
Bath will be without Ewels, Stuart, Underhill and Watson from an England perspective
If Bath play anything like as badly as they did at the weekend, we should be ok. 2 Prem cup games and a rest week is no problem. The potential fly in the ointment is Saints
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I wonder how many of those will be retained in the squad.

EJ has at times selected what he likes to call "Apprentices" so it may well be we will have Dolly back with us as I would assume Genge and Marler will get the match day selections. We can cope without some players but I expect a difficult game against Saints with our full squad so even a bonus point would be great. It would be a shame to gift Bath any sort of win.

I do struggle with picking an uncapped 31 year old at centre. Give a youngster an opportunity and in 2 year's time that will be a youngster with experience. Wild card 30 somethings are what you do when injuries have caused a problem not what you do when you are devoping a side for 2023. Giving a 31 year old experience is at best going to slow his decline from a level that wasn't good enough at his peak.

Marler is the second best Loose head in the country behind Genge and age less of an issue in the froint row. Jone's problem with Genge is that to play well Genge has to play regularly and not cameo appearances when he brings himself to rest Macko. I wonder if he will make Genge vice captain.
Last edited by mol2 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:13 pm I wonder how many of those will be retained in the squad.

EJ has at times selected what he likes to call "Apprentices" so it may well be we will have Dolly back with us as I would assume Genge and Marler will get the match day selections.

I do struggle with picking an uncapped 31 year old at centre. Give a youngster an opportunity and in 2 year's time that will be a youngster with experience. Wild card 30 somethings are what you do when injuries have caused a problem not what you do when you are devoping a side for 2023. Giving a 31 year old experience is at best going to slow his decline from a level that wasn't good enough at his peak.

Marler is the second best Loose head in the country behind Genge and age less of an issue in the froint row. Jone's problem with Genge is that to play well Genge has to play regularly and not cameo appearances when he brings himself to rest Macko. I wonder if he will make Genge vice captain.
Dolly is a hooker mate or did I read that wrong? And LCD could be crocked, he's due a scan
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

You read it wrong or I wrote it confusingly.

Should have been 2 sentences! Dolly an apprentice (Hooker).
Genge in the match day 23 as loose head prop (alongside Marler)
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:19 pm You read it wrong or I wrote it confusingly.

Should have been 2 sentences! Dolly an apprentice (Hooker).
Genge in the match day 23 as loose head prop (alongside Marler)
Yes I see it now. Dolly could quite easily be involved in all 3 games
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So during the AI window we are likely to be without:

England: Genge, Dolly, Martin, Youngs, Steward
Overseas: Montoya, Moroni, Van Staden, Wiese, Murimurivalu, Nadolo, Saumaki

6N clearly will be less of an impact with all the overseas players available again
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Will Montodger and Moroni be available for the Saints game, as they won't be away with England's jersey trading squad?
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

To not pick George Ford is absolute idiocy. Best game-managing FH in the Northern hemisphere this season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Postiger2 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:44 pm To not pick George Ford is absolute idiocy. Best game-managing FH in the Northern hemisphere this season.
I worry about losing him now,i expect he will go to league when his contract is up to have a crack at their WC.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ads wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:35 pm Will Montodger and Moroni be available for the Saints game, as they won't be away with England's jersey trading squad?
Their first AI match isn’t until 06 Nov so yes they could be. Not sure whether they will be selected to play for Argentina in the World Rugby Americas Pacific Challenge. Don’t know much about this competition if I’m honest but Argentina have 3 matches on 22, 26 and 30 Oct.

South Africans don’t start until 06 Nov with their AI fixtures.

Fiji as far as I can see only have one AI match so we should have Nadolo and Muri for the Saints and Bath games if that’s correct.

We could find that we have some of Montoya, Moroni, Wiese and Van Staden available for Saints. If that’s the case they may only miss one Premiership match and Nadolo and Muri May be available for Bath also.

Might have got this wrong but maybe the situation regarding absent players isn’t as bad as first thought.
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:46 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:44 pm To not pick George Ford is absolute idiocy. Best game-managing FH in the Northern hemisphere this season.
I worry about losing him now,i expect he will go to league when his contract is up to have a crack at their WC.
No player is bigger than the club though right !?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:56 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:46 pm
No player is bigger than the club though right !?
No,we will cope but it’s still a huge loss (if it happens)
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ads wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:35 pm Will Montodger and Moroni be available for the Saints game, as they won't be away with England's jersey trading squad?
I'll let you call Montoya, Montodger to his face. :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity