Reffell still not in the Wales Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Reffell still not in the Wales Squad

Post by RagingBull »

Evans wanted to move to London it wasn’t just rugby reasons tbh.

With Van Staden it would be hard to get someone with promise of more game time.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:51 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:49 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:25 pm If I was Tigers I'd be pointing out Costelow, Holmes, Roberts and probably more I've forgotten who all listened to the WRU and have ended up in arguably a worse position
Holmes had little choice. He was capped, and therefore had to sign for a Welsh side when his contract ran out else he wouldn't be eligible for another one - I assume he left a year early due to personal circumstances and the specifics of his new contract. And he did play for Wales over the summer.

The others are interesting situations. Costelow hardly got a look in at Leicester as far as I remember before he moved - does anyone have his actual number of appearances for the seniors? Not sure his development would have been any different had he stayed, I don't think he is in the same league as Ford, Umaga or a Smith at similar ages.
Costelow would have played more but once the club knew he was off they didn't bother to find the game time for him
Costelow made his debut at 18 off the bench in a European game. Played in a couple of European games and Tigers arranged for him to have a couple of loan games at Ampthill in the Championship. Easing him into senior rugby nicely. Wasn't that the season cut short for Covid? Then he was off when he could have had lots of exposure in the congested fixture list had he stayed.

Re Evans Vs Kenningham at Quins I suspect it might end up more like Evans and Kenningham. Kenningham looks like a 6.5 in the Robshaw mold. I reckon he could switch between 6 and 7 as required. Having both on the field at the same time would be a nightmare for the opposition who wants to attack. Against the more physical teams you'd move one to the bench and add a bigger lump but then you've got the option for them to share the minutes and always have a fresh option at 7.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:23 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:51 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:49 pm

Holmes had little choice. He was capped, and therefore had to sign for a Welsh side when his contract ran out else he wouldn't be eligible for another one - I assume he left a year early due to personal circumstances and the specifics of his new contract. And he did play for Wales over the summer.

The others are interesting situations. Costelow hardly got a look in at Leicester as far as I remember before he moved - does anyone have his actual number of appearances for the seniors? Not sure his development would have been any different had he stayed, I don't think he is in the same league as Ford, Umaga or a Smith at similar ages.
Costelow would have played more but once the club knew he was off they didn't bother to find the game time for him
Costelow made his debut at 18 off the bench in a European game. Played in a couple of European games and Tigers arranged for him to have a couple of loan games at Ampthill in the Championship. Easing him into senior rugby nicely. Wasn't that the season cut short for Covid? Then he was off when he could have had lots of exposure in the congested fixture list had he stayed.

Re Evans Vs Kenningham at Quins I suspect it might end up more like Evans and Kenningham. Kenningham looks like a 6.5 in the Robshaw mold. I reckon he could switch between 6 and 7 as required. Having both on the field at the same time would be a nightmare for the opposition who wants to attack. Against the more physical teams you'd move one to the bench and add a bigger lump but then you've got the option for them to share the minutes and always have a fresh option at 7.
Costelow had arranged to move to Scarlets before Covid hit. I got the impression that Geordie was pretty miffed at him for doing so.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think the whole of Tigers management was tbh.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

as soon as they knew he was off to be blunt any game time he got, unless he was the last possible option was a waste of time, Hardwick was still here then and he was more in need of the development as he was staying, not for long as it turned out, but it was still the right decision.

All this would be solved if a player had the balls to sue the WRU but none of them will
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Hardwick hasn't been getting game time with Abli in Nationale (3rd tier of French club rugby). He's really stalled since falling out with Tigers.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Does anyone know where Rob Hardwick is for that matter? I believe he's no longer with Wasps but hadn't heard he ended up anywhere else.