4G Pitch bans? Leggings are allowed

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

4G Pitch bans? Leggings are allowed

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

World rugby has rather than banning 4G pitches decided to allow the use of leggings

See what our own Freddie Burns says on it here..

https://twitter.com/FreddieBurns/status ... 4STSg&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 4G Pitch bans? Leggings are allowed

Post by ABClub »

It's convoluted that burns from 4G pitches have affected the decision but I never really understood them not being allowed to be honest. I've heard some arguments that it's harder to tackle players wearing them but my experience of training against teammates in them is that it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I understand it but then are we going to get real under armour, shoulder pads, helmets with visors, big numbers on the back????
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Big leap from leggings to helmets!
Remember the weird fingerless gloves trend of the early 2000’s. The regulations were that you couldn’t wear full fingered gloves. I was playing at the time, a scrum half, and in the depths of winter would have loved to wear gloves that meant my hands were warm enough to a least feel the ball, like the ones quaterbacks used. But no, they were banned
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:26 pm I understand it but then are we going to get real under armour, shoulder pads, helmets with visors, big numbers on the back????
You've listed things that would change how the game is played there though. Leggings don't. They just mean playing the game in freezing conditions in the middle of winter will be a bit less miserable!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re:4G Pitch bans? Leggings are allowed

Post by KiwiTig »

Immediately reminded me of Keith Weller :smt031
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:26 pm I understand it but then are we going to get real under armour, shoulder pads, helmets with visors, big numbers on the back????
We just then need forward passing, cheerleeders, scrums without packing down, more divas, constant advertising.. :smt046

Maybe cardigans, scarves and woolly hats and gloves for the fullbacks? Maybe also make the long socks out of angora?

:smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Rob Baxter has called for 4G pitches to be banned. He said, .."if other sports, other clubs can do it to a relatively low level, why would a group of 12 or 13 clubs not be able to put a grass surface in and maintain it?"
Marler and Freddie Burns have called for them to be banned and Jack Nowell has "spent years" avoiding them.

Story from the Times Thu 14th Oct
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re:4G Pitch bans? Leggings are allowed

Post by loretta »

4g Pitch bans - This has been chewed over many times on here, and my opinion hasn’t changed.

Get rid
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on Freddie B being against them. Bit of nominative determinism there, perhaps? :smt003
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Re:4G Pitch bans? Leggings are allowed

Post by sam16111986 »

loretta wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:58 am 4g Pitch bans - This has been chewed over many times on here, and my opinion hasn’t changed.

Get rid
I don't understand the need for them. You can get hybrid pitches that play like grass but don't cut up. WR has one (so does Twickers) and the difference between what we have and the mud bath days of a few years ago is very noticeable but the players seem happy to play on it. Is there really massive cost difference? From Glaws have just paid for their's I struggle to believe there is.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Wasn't there a fullback from Perpignan(?) that played at Welford Road once in gloves and leggings, and got lots of attention from the crowd that day as he struggled to catch anything despite all the extra gear?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

In addition to the issues of increased risk of player injuries, particularly with respect to knee joints, the pitches also present different characteristics regarding the reaction of the ball as it comes into contact with the playing surface. This has to be an advantage to the home team which play half their games on such a surface.

Clearly clubs which share facilities with wendyball don't have the option to go plastic and for me the sooner we all go back to grass the better. Tigers have clearly shown that using hybrid technology we can have a surface that holds together well in poor weather but still allows the use of grass as the playing surface so there are no excuses for not outlawing plastic pitches.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Noggs wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:02 pm In addition to the issues of increased risk of player injuries, particularly with respect to knee joints, the pitches also present different characteristics regarding the reaction of the ball as it comes into contact with the playing surface. This has to be an advantage to the home team which play half their games on such a surface.

Clearly clubs which share facilities with wendyball don't have the option to go plastic and for me the sooner we all go back to grass the better. Tigers have clearly shown that using hybrid technology we can have a surface that holds together well in poor weather but still allows the use of grass as the playing surface so there are no excuses for not outlawing plastic pitches.
Oldham Athletic. Plastic pitch = top of the league. Grass pitch = bottom. Simples.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Understand their value potentially for children in winter, but they should be banned for adults. End of.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni