Round 3 - Saracens (H) - Saturday 02nd October 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Round 3 - Saracens (H) - Saturday 02nd October 2021

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:25 pm Got to give Green credit, thought it became telling last season the maul difference with and without him in it both attacking and defending.

Today same thing, we stop dead pretty much all the Saracens mauls, and we smashed them in that final one.
I think Green was subbed off by the last one but he's flourished under Borthwick a man who understands the value of set piece. I like how Borthwick has increasingly built a pack that allows Green to concentrate on what he does in the tight exchanges but a pack that also gives him the weapons at the lineout.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:04 pm Saumaki's very emotional post match interview is worth a watch if you haven't seen it already.
It was very interesting and in particular that the day before the game was the first time he was able to meet his 2 year old son in the flesh. No wonder he was emotional.

It wasn't the best conditions to show off his particular talents with ball in hand but what a result. For much of the game we were second best but the defence yet again was something to be admired. We did get the bub of the green at the end, particularly with respect to Kelly diving in on the payer on the ground, but it is about time we had a bit of good fortune. We are a long way from being the finished article but the spirit and never say die attitude is to be admired. The old club DNA is returning bit by bit :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Noggs wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:07 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:04 pm Saumaki's very emotional post match interview is worth a watch if you haven't seen it already.
It was very interesting and in particular that the day before the game was the first time he was able to meet his 2 year old son in the flesh. No wonder he was emotional.

It wasn't the best conditions to show off his particular talents with ball in hand but what a result. For much of the game we were second best but the defence yet again was something to be admired. We did get the bub of the green at the end, particularly with respect to Kelly diving in on the payer on the ground, but it is about time we had a bit of good fortune. We are a long way from being the finished article but the spirit and never say die attitude is to be admired. The old club DNA is returning bit by bit :smt027 :smt027 :smt027

I may be wrong but didn't think it was the first time he met his son, think it was the first time in a few months, though I may have misheard that (that said I couldn't imagine being away from my 2 year old for a week atm.)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I was wrong in that it was daughter, not son, but the statement was that he had '...met his two year old daughter for the first time ever...'. Presumably this has a lot to do with the problems of movement during the worst of the pandemic but I know how hard it was not to meet with our first grand daughter for the first 6 months of her life and whilst we had video calls almost every day it is not the same has being able to give her a hug and a kiss. It must have been hell for Hosea.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:04 pm Dan Kelly cited

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/gp ... nary-kelly
As expected and no complaints. It was reckless and I am just glad it didn't result in the decision being reversed which we have seen many times with similar incidents.

Expect mid range entry level of 6 weeks with full mitigation of 50 percent so 3 weeks out. Would mean he's unavailable for Irish, Worcester and Saints. Might, if we are lucky have Moroni back for a little bit before the Autumn Internationals but if not I'd say we have decent cover with:

12. Scott, Socino
13. Porter, Taute

Might see Lancaster feature in the centres or maybe even Nadolo? :smt017

It is one of the weakest areas of our squad imho so losing Kelly will be a blow but I'm hoping he won't be out for long and Scott, Socino and Porter should be able to cover if we don't get Moroni back.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Louis

Post by Louis »

This results means Tigers are top of the table, with three wins from three. I'm not sure I'm allowed to be this happy.

Clearly something is very wrong and we should sack Cockers. :smt002
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Discussion point:
"Is there room in today's game for Ben Earl's "over-enthusiastic" verbal celebrations after winning scrum penalties?"

In my opinion, it's a scourge on today's game and the RFU/World Rugby, or whoever, ought to insist that clubs discourage such behaviour on the pitch. Otherwise, younger players will observe and undoubtedly think that it's acceptable.
Maro Itoje also gets worked up on the pitch with his verbals, but Earl has taken it to a new untolerable level.
Encourage or congratulate your team mates for good play, by all means, but within reason.
Semper in excretia
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

There has been a massive increase in this since professionalism. When I started, you might get a "Well done" but generally scores were greeted with enthusiasm by the spectators and modesty by the players. I think all this over-emotional reaction is supposed to act as a stimulant, and encourager to the team. I find it hard to believe professionals need that much geeing up.

I also think we should carry photographs of Saracens stadium to wave at the players - you know, the bit where it says their core value is humility
Last edited by Old Hob on Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:57 pm There has been a massive increase in this since professionalism. When I started, you might get a "Well done" but generally scores were greeted with enthusiasm by the spectators and modesty by the players. I think all this over-emotional reaction is supposed to act as a stimulant, and encourager to the team. I find it hard to believe professionals need that much geeing up.

I also think we should carry photographs of Saracens stadium to wave at the players - you know, the bit where it says their core value is humility.
Last edited by Old Hob on Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:45 pm Discussion point:
"Is there room in today's game for Ben Earl's "over-enthusiastic" verbal celebrations after winning scrum penalties?"

In my opinion, it's a scourge on today's game and the RFU/World Rugby, or whoever, ought to insist that clubs discourage such behaviour on the pitch. Otherwise, younger players will observe and undoubtedly think that it's acceptable.
Maro Itoje also gets worked up on the pitch with his verbals, but Earl has taken it to a new untolerable level.
Encourage or congratulate your team mates for good play, by all means, but within reason.
I really hate this too.. very American! No place in rugby imho. Next we will see Football-esq celebrations after scoring a try! I’m all for celebrating but in an appropriate manner.

The one thing I would say about the 60 or so (not sure when he went off) minutes of whooping, screaming, yelling by Earl is.. how satisfying it was watching that only for them to lose in the 84th minute! Makes the victory even more enjoyable and the look on their faces.. Priceless.. I’m not one to gloat but.. I enjoyed that win all the more for Earl’s over exuberance :smt005
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

wow there is a lot of pearl clutching going on, so long as he doesn't get in the face of the opposition he can celebrate how he likes, if he does then punish him, if his antics spark a brawl, punish him.

Guess what Tigers go mad when they win a big scrum penalty too
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

I have some sympathy with your argument - and as someone who spends a fair amount of time watching junior rugby, I do see glimpses of it creeping in at that level. However. it’s a difficult one to police, as this would require referees having to make subjective judgements about what constitutes “within reason”.

The really tricky bit is judging the context. What appears to be excessive/provocative celebrations at a fairly insignificant point in the match might be perfectly understandable when a team wins a scrum penalty or a turnover in the 79th minute after having been under cosh for a sustained period. When a rookie prop finally gets the better of a gnarly old veteran late in the game, surely you can cut some slack when their team mates make a big show of congratulating them in a way you maybe wouldn’t if it was Dan Cole yet again giving their opposite number a hard time?!

I think the trend you point out is probably at least in part a consequence of the eradication of old school fisticuffs. There’s a huge amount of adrenaline pumping through players and they’re not robots - and perhaps in the modern game we have to accept this is the way it will come out. Attitudes towards this are probably largely generationally determined - old lags (I count myself in this category) mostly find it distasteful, but a younger generation are maybe less bothered.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

chris111 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:08 pm

I have some sympathy with your argument - and as someone who spends a fair amount of time watching junior rugby, I do see glimpses of it creeping in at that level. However. it’s a difficult one to police, as this would require referees having to make subjective judgements about what constitutes “within reason”.

The really tricky bit is judging the context. What appears to be excessive/provocative celebrations at a fairly insignificant point in the match might be perfectly understandable when a team wins a scrum penalty or a turnover in the 79th minute after having been under cosh for a sustained period. When a rookie prop finally gets the better of a gnarly old veteran late in the game, surely you can cut some slack when their team mates make a big show of congratulating them in a way you maybe wouldn’t if it was Dan Cole yet again giving their opposite number a hard time?!

I think the trend you point out is probably at least in part a consequence of the eradication of old school fisticuffs. There’s a huge amount of adrenaline pumping through players and they’re not robots - and perhaps in the modern game we have to accept this is the way it will come out. Attitudes towards this are probably largely generationally determined - old lags (I count myself in this category) mostly find it distasteful, but a younger generation are maybe less bothered.
I too, count myself as an old lag, having played from the 60s to the 80s when there wasn't any league rugby, only friendlies, when the stakes weren't so high.
However, and I'm sure some will consider my point of view as a bit snobbish, this is rugby in which there have always been values in the way our game is played, and if behaviour on the field like Earl's continues, then it detracts from my enjoyment of a live match.
Are today's men in charge of the future of our game insensitive to the direction in which it's going?
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:04 pm wow there is a lot of pearl clutching going on, so long as he doesn't get in the face of the opposition he can celebrate how he likes, if he does then punish him, if his antics spark a brawl, punish him.

Guess what Tigers go mad when they win a big scrum penalty too
Do you condone that behaviour, just because it's the side we're supporting?
Semper in excretia