Round 3 - Saracens (H) - Saturday 02nd October 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bendy

Re: Round 3 - Saracens (H) - Saturday 02nd October 2021

Post by bendy »

What a match. What a finish!

If I don't see K Van Wyk in a Tigers shirt again, I won't be too unhappy. He's had enough chances, not good enough.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:26 pm Can somebody put Earl back in his box please :smt015
Mr P Try answered your call :smt023
Think someone on Twitter put it well, Earl does that at every random point in the game, Genge does that when you win a game with the very last play of the game, one celebration mattered...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Not a great result for Sarries under their new owners, wonder what they are going to do with the £23 million, please Sir can I have a rise don't worry about the cap?
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Dogged it out - great result but for 60 mins terrible error strewn performance. Just thankful that Sarries dreadful anti-rugby game plan kept us in the game - their lack of ambition kept us in the game because they were never able to get far enough ahead …. And for that I am grateful. Great to beat them.
I maybe banging a drum I’ve banged before but I believe we have the best defensive line out in the premiership - would love to see the stats on how many opposition throws we have won (when we have competed)….. so why don’t we kick for field position more and compete especially when it was obvious after 10/15 minutes we were losing the kicking battle. A subtle change in tactics and less errors and wr should have walked that game.

Still very happy with the win and mugging Sarries off though :smt026 :smt026
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The scoreboard only has meaning come the end of the match....
Kudos to Ridley for having the courage to do the right thing come the time.Many would, I believe, have found a way out.
Learning how to win - this is the art of professional sport.

But now especially we must guard against expectation , remembering where we were. All we get now are points and nothing more.Anything tangible only comes after the dedication and hard work.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:45 am The scoreboard only has meaning come the end of the match....
Kudos to Ridley for having the courage to do the right thing come the time.Many would, I believe, have found a way out.

But now especially we must guard against expectation , remembering where we were. All we get now are points and nothing more.Anything tangible only comes after the dedication and hard work.
There's an old proverb which says.."If the maximum points for a single score is 7, and you are 6 points up with time to play, the game can still be lost."

(Remy Martin / Reverend James @ about 23:00 last night.)
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The look on Wrays face was worth watching on it's own, you can see what it means to this group of players by their efforts and celebrations, keep winning at home and we can go places, teams will already be aware that Welford Road is no place for the feint hearted again.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:45 am The scoreboard only has meaning come the end of the match....

If Dickson was on the whistle it almost certainly would have been a different result
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Although Saracens were the better team for most of the game they did not create many try scoring opportunities which is a tribute to our defence. I also think that they had the rub of the green on a few decisions although we got the important one at the end.
Considering our starting team only had probably 6 or 7 first choice players it was a creditable performance by Tigers.
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:01 am

If Dickson was on the whistle it almost certainly would have been a different result
All sorts of results are possible with him in "charge"...we still have that "delight" to look forward to this season..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Was it just me that thought a smile spread across Ridleys face when he awarded the PT? Maybe described as a Wr(a)y smile? :smt023
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Talk of Nigel Wray points to the fact that the Sunday Telegraph feature writers today must have been taking lessons in irony. Not only does Ian McGeechan worship at the feet of Wray but, irony of irony, Charlie Morgan writes a piece on Calum Clark. The latter is said to be promoting well-being and better mental health for rugby players. Can this possibly be the same Calum Clark who deliberately broke Rob Hawkins arm ?
Ancient Mariner
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Credit to Christophe Ridley as on an atrocious weather conditions for rugby he reffed very well: at last a ref at Welford Road had the bottle to rightly give a penalty try and a yellow card.
Sarries will learn from their costly errors but I honestly think on a dry pitch we might have beaten them but not if we’d have kept kicking to Malins and Lewington.
The reaction at the end from us fans and the players was priceless.
Voyager1
Tiger Cub

Post by Voyager1 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:26 pm Most pleasing thing for me was that Sarries never looked like scoring a try
:smt023
What noise annoys an oyster
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Got to give Green credit, thought it became telling last season the maul difference with and without him in it both attacking and defending.

Today same thing, we stop dead pretty much all the Saracens mauls, and we smashed them in that final one.