Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Exeter - Saturday 18th September 2021 - 1500

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:54 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:40 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:39 pm Full Pre season has been really good for Nadolo he's looked the fittest he's been in years.
How was the MF RB?
MF?
Midfield pairing
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Fantastic performance, don’t think anyone had a less than 7/10 performance and most were 8+

The sort of performance where a coach would say, that’s your standards set for the season, don’t let them drop
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Anyone know the official attendance? Great to be back today, the lads left it all out there, and the atmosphere was great, but seemed to be a lot of empty seats…
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Sometimes you’ve just got to applaud.

Great game, great team performance, wonderful defence, great win.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

What a fantastic afternoon.

Beer in the sun with friends before, then a performance from a side you can really get behind. Proper attitude, some excellent performances and a win to be proud of. A grin as wide as Nadolo's on the way home. He, in particular, seemed to be absolutely chuffed at the end and I got the feeling that some of the players were getting a real sense of what playing at Welford road can be like.

The future looks bright, engage smug mode...
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:58 pm Anyone know the official attendance? Great to be back today, the lads left it all out there, and the atmosphere was great, but seemed to be a lot of empty seats…
17333 according to the Telegraph report.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

7 years since we were humiliated at Bath.

(According to my FB Memories. The lad was playing at Rodney Parade.... In a rock band near the bar.... I was roadie. Boris played for the Dragons)

It's been a long journey!...... And it's not over yet.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Have not enjoyed myself so much since we beat Stains in the 2013 prem final. Happy days have returned 😃
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Full match replay now available on BT Sport app
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

A good start to the new season, amazing how good Nemani looks when you give him the ball rather than him chasing it all game.
Discipline not great, that certainly needs work & we do look a little lacking in pace, but 5 points & most importantly 0 for Exeter.
We played as a team & everyone played their part, but we were undoubtedly lucky to play that Chiefs 23.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

That was a wonderfully entertaining game, more attacking play today than i think i have seen all season in the past.
Slight worry in second half when our scrum started to come under a lot of pressure, but we weathered that storm.
Great defence, players tackled their hearts out, Knowell, Slade, O'Fherhtey played out of the game! Some really great attacking plays. Young Dolly reminded me of Harry Thakkar. Freddie Steward, under the high ball, was imperious!
Thank you Tigers, you gave us a great and entertaining show today. :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Sorry: no luck about it as we took the ref out of the game: every player gave a full throttle performance and don’t forget we had quite a few players out too.
Better lines of running in attack too.
Enjoy the win. My mates even forgave the situation with the bars and were willing to go almost beerless!
From where we sat, at the Mattioli end, Reffel was immense, tackling low and hard. Steward great under the high ball.Ben Youngs was again below par so I hope he picks up his game now that JVP ( very good when he came on) as he seems to be trying almost too hard causing him to rush both his kicks and pass.
Great start and as Borthwick rightly said, “ lots to improve on if we want to beat teams week in week out.”
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Fortress Welford Road...........................................well for a couple of weeks anyway lol. :smt026
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:52 pm Ben Youngs was again below par so I hope he picks up his game now that JVP ( very good when he came on) as he seems to be trying almost too hard causing him to rush both his kicks and pass.
Sometimes I think Benny has to score a hattrick every week just to satisfy some people. He took on a lot of work and pressure for the benefit of the team. He was throwing long passes regularly to nullify the Chiefs defence, created a try with another long pass close to the line and dictated tempo nicely. He looked a bit rusty in places but I was happy with the positivity with which he played. There was also one point in the second half when he went flying out the line Faff style to tackle a Chiefs forward man and ball, caused me to do a double take that.

The rotation of Benny and JVP should be a real strength for us this season keeping both fresher and the competition for starts pushing them on.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:18 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:52 pm Ben Youngs was again below par so I hope he picks up his game now that JVP ( very good when he came on) as he seems to be trying almost too hard causing him to rush both his kicks and pass.
Sometimes I think Benny has to score a hattrick every week just to satisfy some people. He took on a lot of work and pressure for the benefit of the team. He was throwing long passes regularly to nullify the Chiefs defence, created a try with another long pass close to the line and dictated tempo nicely. He looked a bit rusty in places but I was happy with the positivity with which he played. There was also one point in the second half when he went flying out the line Faff style to tackle a Chiefs forward man and ball, caused me to do a double take that.

The rotation of Benny and JVP should be a real strength for us this season keeping both fresher and the competition for starts pushing them on.
Agreed, nobody was below par today, Ben put in a shift alongside everyone else. Perfect? Absolutely not but a good shift.