The Hundred X Rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

The Hundred X Rugby

Post by kpj tiger »

World 12s Limited have announced a new twelve-a-side franchise tournament to start in 2022.... Just what Rugby needed

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/new-worl ... s-ritchie/
Last edited by kpj tiger on Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: The Hundred X Rugby

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Cobblers.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with World Rugby yet either, just the World12s brand itself.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:48 am World Rugby have announced a new twelve-a-side franchise tournament to start in 2022.... Just what Rugby needed

Think I saw somewhere that it's not yet been approved by world rugby so I don't think they're the ones behind it.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:39 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:48 am World Rugby have announced a new twelve-a-side franchise tournament to start in 2022.... Just what Rugby needed

Think I saw somewhere that it's not yet been approved by world rugby so I don't think they're the ones behind it.
My mistake
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

12's! why not just add another player and call it something like league Rugby....
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Player welfare out of the window! If approved we could be in a situation where the top players are away with this (5/6 weeks) AI's (5/6 weeks), 6 N (7/8 weeks), = 17 - 20 weeks followed by the rest periods and I believe these could be a minimum period of absence from their clubs and I haven't counted Lions or Tours. Sounds very much like an attempt to copy the IPL etc and no doubt, the players involved will be well paid - could this also be a way to bypass the salary cap - play of us @ £xxx, and I will bid for you @ £XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX???? I don't know the truth but I don't like the idea at all.
Hehehehehehehehe
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Not sure how 12 a side is going to attract people who don't watch 15 a side.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Presently no more than a concept with talk and hype , and accompanied by more questions than answers.
The big issues for me are the fact that in terms of planned timing it clashes with The Rugby Championship - so the 'best in the world' from New Zealand, South Africa, Australia and Argentina will be missing...
More importantly is the fact that without individual support from European Unions and Clubs player release for the competition will be impossible to obtain for obvious reasons (potential injury et al) .Then comes the question of player welfare ....
An awful lot needs to happen for this to become a reality , I believe.
I also believe that this particular seed of an idea is based upon the money that the proposed organizers have observed generated by the IPL and Crickets 100.
Indeed,issues not insurmountable but much to be done.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Do I like the idea? Not sure to be honest.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I can see the positives of the idea as rugby, like cricket, was not attracting the support and revenue it needed. 20/20 has increased the following for cricket at that level and something to raise the profile of the sport may help with growth and in increasing media payments for rights.

The down sides, however, are quite numerous.

1. The money made will be going to the investors and not the game
2. It may well dilute the following for the main product. Club rugby already struggles to attract supporters in significant numbers and so this new product could prevent people supporting their local team and to focus their attention on an annual franchise team.
3. The players. More matches are clearly not good or viable. That said, the players will insist on taking part of the money is anything near the IPL. They can earn over a season's salary for only a few weeks work and so they are going to want to be involved and will not be happy if the clubs or RFU deny them that right. That would then mean a reorganisation of the fixtures calendar.
4. Clubs do not see enough of their international player as it is as there is an every increasing need to have more international matches to feed the cash strapped unions. To remove them for another period would seem a step too far and would send the wrong message in that it would be seen as acceptable to let the club game wilt whilst this new version is encouraged to shine.

There are too many negatives for me but make no mistake, it will happen. Every sport outside of these laden wiht cash is looking for its version of the 20/20 cash cow.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

GB72 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:52 am There are too many negatives for me but make no mistake, it will happen. Every sport outside of these laden wiht cash is looking for its version of the 20/20 cash cow.
But the key thing is that 20/20 gave an accessible format in a sport that either took a whole day or 5 days previously. It meant you could take the kids or go with some mates after work and watch a match in the afternoon or evening, rather than missing work or having to plan for a whole day and keep the kids interested.

Rugby is already only 2 hours. And has a shorter form of the game that isn't exactly bringing in the fans even with more exposure from being in the Olympics.

:smt017 :smt017 :smt017
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:46 am
GB72 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:52 am There are too many negatives for me but make no mistake, it will happen. Every sport outside of these laden wiht cash is looking for its version of the 20/20 cash cow.
But the key thing is that 20/20 gave an accessible format in a sport that either took a whole day or 5 days previously. It meant you could take the kids or go with some mates after work and watch a match in the afternoon or evening, rather than missing work or having to plan for a whole day and keep the kids interested.

Rugby is already only 2 hours. And has a shorter form of the game that isn't exactly bringing in the fans even with more exposure from being in the Olympics.

Rugby is more held back by rules complexity and some of the preceived sterotypes associated with it as well as a general lack of mainstream media coverage outside of the international game. Meanwhile, sevens is too diluted a version of the game. A middle ground with simplified rules and more of a focus on running rugby than forward play may work to attract a new audience.

Your points, especially regarding sevens, are very much correct but what is being done about it. Given some of the promotional opportunities over the last 20 years, rugby should be much bigger than it is but the spectator numbers steadfastly refuse to grow in any significant numbers and so there is no harm in trying a new approach save for the pitfalls that become apparent when you dig beneath the surface a bit.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

GB72 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:10 pm

Rugby is more held back by rules complexity and some of the preceived sterotypes associated with it as well as a general lack of mainstream media coverage outside of the international game. Meanwhile, sevens is too diluted a version of the game. A middle ground with simplified rules and more of a focus on running rugby than forward play may work to attract a new audience.

Your points, especially regarding sevens, are very much correct but what is being done about it. Given some of the promotional opportunities over the last 20 years, rugby should be much bigger than it is but the spectator numbers steadfastly refuse to grow in any significant numbers and so there is no harm in trying a new approach save for the pitfalls that become apparent when you dig beneath the surface a bit.
I completely agree, complexity is the main issue but I don't see how any new format would change this without significantly changing the rules. I'm not sure what the game would like in between 7s and 15s though. It just sounds like everything will be the same will 3 less players - 5 forwards maybe? And the complexity is mainly around the breakdown area, so unless it is going to be rugby league with union players, I don't see how it would attract anyone.

You never see anyone playing a spontaneous game of rugby anywhere, unlike football and cricket. I think we follow a minority sport that is pretending to be more mainstream than it ever will be.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:52 pm
GB72 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:10 pm

I completely agree, complexity is the main issue but I don't see how any new format would change this without significantly changing the rules. I'm not sure what the game would like in between 7s and 15s though. It just sounds like everything will be the same will 3 less players - 5 forwards maybe? And the complexity is mainly around the breakdown area, so unless it is going to be rugby league with union players, I don't see how it would attract anyone.

You never see anyone playing a spontaneous game of rugby anywhere, unlike football and cricket. I think we follow a minority sport that is pretending to be more mainstream than it ever will be.
I totally agree with your last comments. The problem is that the players want to be paid levels that are more comensurate with a more mainstream sport (nowhere near football levels I know) and that is where the problem is. With rest periods, injuries and just the rigours of the sport, rugby needs large squads. Furthermore, international level players are demanding bigger wages and rugby is not growing as a business at anywhere near the level to make this sustainable. Sadly, without a dramatic change, I can see rugby heading the same way as cricket, a centrally contracted England team with players that are hardly seen for their clubs, an increased international calendar to take advantage of the increased control over players and a decline in the club game as the big names are never seen playing for them and they fade into become feeders for the national team.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

To be honest though, that might not be such a bad thing for the clubs. At least they'd have a full squad to pick from for the full season. Obviously we want to see big name players playing for our clubs but we also want to be on a level playing field with all clubs being able to field a full squad of players, not players dissapearing for months on end and having to pay them anyway.

I don't think I like the 12's idea, but no idea what the rules will be. It would be a bit rich of the players to want to play in this tournament after many stating that there are too many games already though...