Expectations - 2021/2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Expectations - 2021/2022

Post by jgriffin »

Don't assume the top 3 will be Chiefs, Sarries and Briz. I think this is more open than recently, and our bad luck is to have two tough matches early doors BUT win one of them and.......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:55 pm Don't assume the top 3 will be Chiefs, Sarries and Briz. I think this is more open than recently, and our bad luck is to have two tough matches early doors BUT win one of them and.......
I agree, on the back of a back to back season and a half, Lions tour, there may be some tired bodies and minds in some teams. Plus Saracens having a year out of more competitive rugby.

I would put those as the 3 most likely teams to be up there, but I feel that any/all of them are vulnerable.

I also think injuries will be more prevalent first half of this season and therefore there may be a bit of a lottery how they unfold to some teams. That said I think our depth is one of the best so an attritional season may suit us.

2 tough games for us in the first 3, but if there's ever a time to play those tough games it's when trying to catch them cold.

Yes we may be playing catch up after a few weeks but if we're not then there may be big things in store for the season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

How do people expect Quins to do?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Strange one for me.

Not only do I have a lot of uncertainty about what we can achieve and I also have uncertainties doubts about several other teams. Sarries coming back (?), have Bristol shown they have reached their limits? Are the Chiefs finally losing a bit of the mojo? Was the Quins thing a flash in the pan? Etc.

I think what I do expect from us is more of the same that we saw last season. Yes, we should become a little more consistent, have a bit more depth to the squad and have maybe a bit more expansion attack wise but I think they will be marginal/subtle differences. I so yes we should be taking another step towards making play offs or latter stages of the Champions Cup but how far that goes would be largely a guess for me and not all in our hands as above. So that is as far as my expectations go.

Mattioli Woods Welford Road could become an important factor if we build that run of form.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:02 pm How do people expect Quins to do?
I just hope they stick with what they did last year, as it was a breath of fresh air. No reason why they shouldn’t.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:46 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:02 pm How do people expect Quins to do?
I just hope they stick with what they did last year, as it was a breath of fresh air. No reason why they shouldn’t.
Don’t think they will change much from last year, just wondered if they will still be as successful.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Tough one to call.........

Sarries will be hit by Lions absentees early doors, as will Exeter and Sale (saffers and lions).
To a lesser extent, so will Tigers (saffers only), Quins and Bath.

Sarries wont be the force they were, but will challenge surely. They remain a very tight ship and well coached.

It's incredibly difficult to predict.

For Tigers, I think I mostly want the continued improvement and development of the style - if that comes then results will follow. I can only think we will be even fitter this season with a full preseason under Aled........

One thing to ponder - the new rules mean that if you get held up over the line its a drop out under the sticks to the defending team. This will change the defensive tactics I would think and also make the rolling maul a slightly more risky strategy - will this mean a change of mindset when getting penalties in and around the 22?
Less is more....
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I'd like to see us in playoff contention this year. Maybe we don't make the top four at the season's end, but with this squad we should be pushing for it.

Once the Lions/SA players are all back I find it hard to see past Exeter, Bristol, Sale and Sarries.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A brief summary and betting for the upcoming seasons Premiership Title :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/saracens ... p-betting/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:50 am Once the Lions/SA players are all back I find it hard to see past Exeter, Bristol, Sale and Sarries.
So, you are writing off last years winners Harlequins?
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

My hope and expectation is that we will be competitive in every game and win most home games. Do that and we should definitely be top 6 with a chance of play offs. I do wonder whether we now have greater strength in depth than Sale, Bristol and Sarries. That could be crucial, assuming we don't get too many international call ups.
JeffBadland
Tiger Cub

Post by JeffBadland »

The final table will look something like this:

1) Harlequins
2) Bristol
3) Exeter
4) Sale
5) Tigers (just missing out on the top 4 by a few points)
6) Saracens (after a poor start to the season)
7) Wasps
8) Bath
9) Northampton
10) Gloucester
11) London Irish
12) Newcastle
13) Worcester
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:43 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:50 am Once the Lions/SA players are all back I find it hard to see past Exeter, Bristol, Sale and Sarries.
So, you are writing off last years winners Harlequins?
Tbh I can see Quins struggling to make top 6. I have them down probably about 8th...

Last year they lost nobody in the international window, and with the extra rest weekends that made a big difference. I just can't see that happening again for them
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:37 pm For me the fitness and availability of our internationals will determine where we finish. The reason I believe Quins did so well last season was they didn’t pick up many injuries and hardly had any international call ups. Most teams have recruited well: Wasps will be strong as I cannot see them being hit so hard with injuries.
Exeter, Sarries, Bristol top 3 then any of the rest to fight for 4-6!
Key players for us, Genge,Montoya, Hanro, Martin, Reffel, JVP, Moroni and Ford.
Worries: love Freddie but not sure he’s an improvement on Henry and McPhillips.
Lack of speed on the wings.
Not sure about the new rules either: could result in more kicking!
Good luck Tigers.
What about Hosea Saumaki :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Top 6 absolute minimum but we should be challenging for playoffs with this squad. In fact I would be disappointed with anything less than challenging the top 4 places.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer