Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:19 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:15 pm So Van Staden and Wiese come through unscathed? Did they play well?

Looked like an exciting game but that’s based purely on seeing the late drama and sadly the Boks winner!
Weise still has the odd error and rush of blood in him but defensively he hits very hard. Had no problems smashing Vunipola and Furlong back. MVS didn't get as much gametime this test
Thanks mate :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

No more Warren ball or AWJ or Warburton red eyed comentary
Lost by Biggar and Sinkler as predicted
Nearly won by Russell as predicted
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Thought the officiating pretty fair except for the outrageously bent put-ins to the scrum. Agree we were tactically naive and the score would have been worse without Russell. Weise still attracting penalties but a great addition to our pack.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

mightymouse wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:43 pm No more Warren ball or AWJ or Warburton red eyed comentary
Lost by Biggar and Sinkler as predicted
Nearly won by Russell as predicted
I thought Warburton's commentary OK. Greenwood sounds to me as though he's had a few sharpeners before the game.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It was lost before the tour started tbf with the squad selection. Not enough physicality and I said from minute one
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:19 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:15 pm So Van Staden and Wiese come through unscathed? Did they play well?

Looked like an exciting game but that’s based purely on seeing the late drama and sadly the Boks winner!
Weise still has the odd error and rush of blood in him but defensively he hits very hard. Had no problems smashing Vunipola and Furlong back. MVS didn't get as much gametime this test
Agreed though MVS got at least one breakdown turnover in.

I thought Weise did a good job in the backfield mopping up the Lions box kicks and his defensive effort was huge. He did concede a couple of pens but a) he's wasn't the only one and b) if you're going to play on the edge then you will. More experience will sharpen up his decision making.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

The positives of that tour is that we have two test match monsters in Wiese and Van Standen!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:14 pm Glad this tour is now over!
Agreed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

A poor series with S.Africa just about the better of two poor teams.
Lions lost due to poor decision making: once the driving maul resulted in a turnover penalty the next two penalties should have resulted in 6 points!
Courtney Lawes very good, Itoje also good but very few of the other forwards performed that well.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:44 pm Thought the officiating pretty fair except for the outrageously bent put-ins to the scrum. Agree we were tactically naive and the score would have been worse without Russell. Weise still attracting penalties but a great addition to our pack.
Interesting comments by Nigel Owens, says it’s something that all refs are guilty of but didn’t offer any explanation as to why it isn’t being enforced or cracked down upon.

I know there was a law change a few years ago now that made it easier for the attacking team to secure the ball but you still had to put it straight into the channel.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:49 pm It was lost before the tour started tbf with the squad selection. Not enough physicality and I said from minute one
In 2009, the Lions picked a squad to try and match South Africa at their own game, although I would argue it was more ROG’s stupidity that cost us the series rather than a failure to match the Boks physically. What frustrated me is that Gatland picked a mobile squad but then proceeded to fail to implement a mobile game, Russell seemed to be the only one willing to switch it up at times today.

To be honest, both ‘09 and this tour a dominant Springboks scrum was a telling factor but this series will only be remembered for the wrong reasons I’m afraid.

Nonetheless, geluk Wiese and van Staden, can’t wait to have you guys back in Leicester for a well deserved rest.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:54 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:49 pm It was lost before the tour started tbf with the squad selection. Not enough physicality and I said from minute one
In 2009, the Lions picked a squad to try and match South Africa at their own game, although I would argue it was more ROG’s stupidity that cost us the series rather than a failure to match the Boks physically. What frustrated me is that Gatland picked a mobile squad but then proceeded to fail to implement a mobile game, Russell seemed to be the only one willing to switch it up at times today.

To be honest, both ‘09 and this tour a dominant Springboks scrum was a telling factor but this series will only be remembered for the wrong reasons I’m afraid.

Nonetheless, geluk Wiese and van Staden, can’t wait to have you guys back in Leicester for a well deserved rest.
Well if both are picked for SA in the champ
That doesn't end till 2nd October and then the AI's start November 6th till November 20th.

So with a rest when might we see them?
Potentially 2 weeks quarantine on top of it.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Agreed that Russell was the only one prepared or able to change the game plan.. whether it was with or against orders . The fact is is if he had played all three tests we would probably have won.
Also pick props who can scrummage or don’t bother turning up against the Boks .. today everything went wrong when the front rows change on a reverse of the first test
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:47 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:44 pm Thought the officiating pretty fair except for the outrageously bent put-ins to the scrum. Agree we were tactically naive and the score would have been worse without Russell. Weise still attracting penalties but a great addition to our pack.
Interesting comments by Nigel Owens, says it’s something that all refs are guilty of but didn’t offer any explanation as to why it isn’t being enforced or cracked down upon.

I know there was a law change a few years ago now that made it easier for the attacking team to secure the ball but you still had to put it straight into the channel.
Straight. The scrum-half may align their shoulder on the middle line of the scrum, thereby standing a shoulder-width closer to their side of the scrum.

https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/law/19

So in straight but you can effectively put it under your hooker for an easy strike and away from the opposition.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:29 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Well if both are picked for SA in the champ
That doesn't end till 2nd October and then the AI's start November 6th till November 20th.

So with a rest when might we see them?
Potentially 2 weeks quarantine on top of it.
Might be a long while, but that is assuming they’re kept for the Autumn Internationals so who knows. Don’t really care how long the wait will be as Wiese particularly needs a long break and I don’t want him to have a fatigue-related injury.