Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Scott1 »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:19 pm If everyone's fit, there's an argument going with the same ones, but I thought our back three were off the pace, I'd change 11, 14 and 15. If Biggar is not fit, I'd leave Farrell on the bench and choose Smith and step up the pace of the game, run those unfit Boks around in the first half
Change Watson and Duhan? Crazy talk!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Midlander

Post by Midlander »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:19 pm If everyone's fit, there's an argument going with the same ones, but I thought our back three were off the pace, I'd change 11, 14 and 15. If Biggar is not fit, I'd leave Farrell on the bench and choose Smith and step up the pace of the game, run those unfit Boks around in the first half
Not a bad plan, but the other way round. Farrell, or Biggar starting, using their older heads to run the opposition around the field. As awesome as Smith has looked, a wounded Springbok is a dangerous animal. I think he's good enough, but is he experienced enough to take them on at their fittest? He's of much slighter build than the other two, and he could have a lot more space, and be awkward to lay hands on, in the second period. Just my thoughts on that aspect of the game.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Hogg’s booming kicks where phenomenal and a few good carries. Hardly his fault Biggars distriis so poor
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Lions injury news , Finn Russell returns to training however Wyn Jones is doubtful for the Second Test :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57970496
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Steve Tandy , more on Lions fitness/injury issues :

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... ess-update
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

15. Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs, Scotland) #783

14. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, England) #816

13. Chris Harris (Gloucester Rugby, Scotland) #844

12. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #824

11. Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #841

10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, Wales) #821

9. Conor Murray (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #790

1. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, England) #787

2. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England) #851

3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #818

4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, England) #825

5. Alun Wyn Jones – captain (Ospreys, Wales) #761

6. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, England) #826

7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, England) #853

8. Jack Conan (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #839

Replacements:

16. Ken Owens (Scarlets, Wales) #829

17. Rory Sutherland (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #840

18. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, England) #814

19. Tadhg Beirne (Munster Rugby, Ireland) #838

20. Taulupe Faletau (Bath Rugby, Wales) #779

21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #843

22. Owen Farrell (Saracens, England) #780

23. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Hmm! Is this the side to clinch the series? Hope so, but I am cautiously optimistic!!

1. Despite Vunipola's performance from the bench in the 1st Test, his tight scrummaging still worries me.
2. Chris Harris will surely more solid in defence than Elliot (revolving doors) Daly.
3. I maybe would have picked Faletau in the starting XV.

Gatland won't know if Biggar'll be fit until he's passed all the HIA protocol tests on Thursday, or so I believe.
If he doesn't, we're safe in the knowledge that Eddie's Mr Undroppable will save the day, but then again, his goalkicking is more reliable than Finn Russel's.
I wonder if Marcus Smith could be drafted in for the 3rd Test if the series has been won?
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:07 am Hmm! Is this the side to clinch the series? Hope so, but I am cautiously optimistic!!

1. Despite Vunipola's performance from the bench in the 1st Test, his tight scrummaging still worries me.
2. Chris Harris will surely more solid in defence than Elliot (revolving doors) Daly.
3. I maybe would have picked Faletau in the starting XV.

Gatland won't know if Biggar'll be fit until he's passed all the HIA protocol tests on Thursday, or so I believe.
If he doesn't, we're safe in the knowledge that Eddie's Mr Undroppable will save the day, but then again, his goalkicking is more reliable than Finn Russel's.
I wonder if Marcus Smith could be drafted in for the 3rd Test if the series has been won?
Yes, I see Smith and the likes of Simmonds start if we go 2 up.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Great Lions 23 - probably the side I would’ve picked bar Mako starting so fingers crossed we can get the series over the line in the second test.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Any news on SA team? Weise should start if fit and MVS brought on to the bench
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Don’t see how Mako or Murray make the starting 15.
Scrummaging is
Going to be an issue in 1st 60 now and the ball coming out from the breakdown will be much slower.
Falitau is in for Watson .. odd decisions.. one of the anonymous players of the tour in for one of the highlights of the tour.
Ok with Harris coming in for Daly .. Just surprised Daly says on bench.
Not sure how Biggar kept his place? Hobsons choice if Russell is still unfit?
Let’s just hope we’re not rueing these come end of Saturday and biting nails all the way through to following week.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rees Zammit is a scoring machine and not in the squad, I'd have found room for him and or Josh Adams rather than the 2 Scots but happy enough with the pack, would have been better with a bit more mobility in the front row, Genge and Sinkler as props or Furlong
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:50 am Any news on SA team? Weise should start if fit and MVS brought on to the bench
I think that's a wrap?

https://lionsseries.com/2021/07/27/spri ... nst-lions/
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:13 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:50 am Any news on SA team? Weise should start if fit and MVS brought on to the bench
I think that's a wrap?

https://lionsseries.com/2021/07/27/spri ... nst-lions/
Makes complete sense
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Francois de Klerk, 8 Jasper Wiese, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siyamthanda Kolisi (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Mbongeni Mbonambi, 1 Steven Kitshoff.

Replacements: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Trevor Nyakane 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Lodewyk de Jager, 20 Marco Van Staden, 21 Albertus Smith, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Damian Willemse.