Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Scott1 »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:01 pm Itoje a different level, well done Gatland and the Lions!!
Thought Lawes was better,he’s an incredible player
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Fair play to Mako, thought he was going to get done in the scrum, but was solid and great around the park. Farrell still seems off form sadly, hopefully a season in the premiership will get him back to his best.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:02 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:01 pm Itoje a different level, well done Gatland and the Lions!!
Scott your constant diatribe against AWJ, Daly and Refs etc is so boring and really puts your judgement of rugby into serious doubt, in my opinion. There are far more serious professional rugby coaches and selectors who disagree with you and happy to select these players, I really think you should stop being so biased against them and stick to your more serious postings.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:29 pm
Scott your constant diatribe against AWJ, Daly and Refs etc is so boring and really puts your judgement of rugby into serious doubt, in my opinion. There are far more serious professional rugby coaches and selectors who disagree with you and happy to select these players, I really think you should stop being so biased against them and stick to your more serious postings.
Behave yourself AWJ was easily the worse of the 3 locks. I suggest specsavers 😂
Watson was a yellow all day and the Itoje turnover was illegal as he wasn't supporting his bodyweight. FACTS. Don't like it don't read 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

LE18 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:29 pm
Yes Scott, how dare you hold your own opinion!!! :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Surprising result. Classic game of two halves. Well done to the Lions. I thought Lawes put in a very strong shift. Wondering whether a different Lions front row might start game 2?
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

The other thing I liked was having a referee of Nigel Owens calibre making comments. We should have more referees (or ex-refs) in commentary positions.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Agree about Owens. Excellent to have him involved on comms.

We all have our opinions about players. I’ve read just two player ratings- One gave Conan an 8 the other a 5. Similarly one gave Furlough a 6 the other gave him a 9. Worth noting that on one the collective score for RSA was way higher than the Lions- how bonkers given they won the game.

My point is that we all have our opinions, that’s part of the game. Let’s not be too harsh either way.

Also- if you write something down, we know it is your opinion, no need to say ‘in my opinion’, we know it is. Even worse is when people say ‘in my honest opinion’-
implications being that normally their opinion isn’t honest. Sorry pedantic I know!

For what it’s worth I thought the Lions were good, at times very good but suspect changes at halfback and at 13. It didn’t work out for Daly. South Africa’s chances came from second balls when kicking as far as I could tell. Their lack of conditioning really exposed their game plan.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 pm Agree about Owens. Excellent to have him involved on comms.

We all have our opinions about players. I’ve read just two player ratings- One gave Conan an 8 the other a 5. Similarly one gave Furlough a 6 the other gave him a 9. Worth noting that on one the collective score for RSA was way higher than the Lions- how bonkers given they won the game.

My point is that we all have our opinions, that’s part of the game. Let’s not be too harsh either way.

Also- if you write something down, we know it is your opinion, no need to say ‘in my opinion’, we know it is. Even worse is when people say ‘in my honest opinion’-
implications being that normally their opinion isn’t honest. Sorry pedantic I know!

For what it’s worth I thought the Lions were good, at times very good but suspect changes at halfback and at 13. It didn’t work out for Daly. South Africa’s chances came from second balls when kicking as far as I could tell. Their lack of conditioning really exposed their game plan.
Everyone knows what you thought because you have written it down.

It was a shocking game dominated by kick tennis, a Lions win but poor viewing.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Maybe a poor game but what England would have given for a performance like that in the World Cup Final: the Lions met fire with fire.
Well done. Same again next week!
For entertainment nothing will beat the two Quins’ games in the Play Off Semi then the Final but this is test rugby. Different intensity and pressure.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I only call it as I see it,I genuinely thought overall SA were the better team. The Lions had a far better second half and really came out of the blocks but they had the rub of the green with the two chalked off trys,the Watson none yellow,the Itoje penalty which should’ve gone the other way and would’ve been an easy three points plus the high tackle penalty that led to the Lions try was a very soft one. It was identical to the one in the first half which even Nigel Owens said was soft. Small margins but The Lions kept at it and their replacement front row won the scrummaging battle. Itoje and Lawes were phenomenal though,different level and were comfortably the best two players on the pitch for me.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I know South Africa are world champs but the reason for this is that - they fluked their way to the final having been beaten comfortably by New Zealand. Then a combination of Eddie Jones selectorial stubbornness and Sinckler getting KO’d early on gave them the World Cup.

The Lions should beat them, even if the squad has been weakened by EJ’s stubbornness meaning one or two English players missed out. Genge would have enjoyed himself.

This was demonstrated today. More of the same next week.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:40 pm I know South Africa are world champs but the reason for this is that - they fluked their way to the final having been beaten comfortably by New Zealand. Then a combination of Eddie Jones selectorial stubbornness and Sinckler getting KO’d early on gave them the World Cup.

The Lions should beat them, even if the squad has been weakened by EJ’s stubbornness meaning one or two English players missed out. Genge would have enjoyed himself.

This was demonstrated today. More of the same next week.
Very disrespectful imo,incredibly so!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The Lions had bits of good fortune with the disallowed Le Roux try and the tip tackle not being looked at.
The consistency is frustrating as I have seen Tigers players carded for much less.
Of the two teams South Africa tried to play more but their discipline got sloppy in the third quarter.
Farrell kicking good ball away when it was on to attack late on was just proof of how ingrained it is. :smt013
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Did Kolbe receive a single pass from one of his teammates or did he just chase and jump for the high ball. What a waste of a talent.