Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: England vs USA - 4th July 2021

Post by Scott1 »

This might change a few minds.
https://youtu.be/a6gtDMdbFN8
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ford when he was playing for Bath looked just as dangerous as Smith.

Ford plays the game plan he gets told to play currently.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:33 pm Ford when he was playing for Bath looked just as dangerous as Smith.

Ford plays the game plan he gets told to play currently.
Yes,I do believe he is being stifled. And like I said before that in our recent game he did give Smith a lesson in game management
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Without Smith, Quins would have been out of the top 4. Best Fly half in the UK.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Totally agree, Smith is the best fly half in England now, has a great future in front of him, sad to say he can do things Ford and Farrell are not capable of.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

fortysix wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:44 pm Without Smith, Quins would have been out of the top 4. Best Fly half in the UK.
If you look at many of Quins tries amongst the outside backs they very often still have had defenders to beat.
Marchant, Lynagh, Green, Murley, Earle and Brown have all been excellent in my opinion.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fortysix wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:44 pm Without Smith, Quins would have been out of the top 4. Best Fly half in the UK.
Smith and McGinty are the leagues 2 best FH imo
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:07 pm
You really think Smith should be starting for the Lions in the Tests?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Traveller wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:28 pm
How have you come to that conclusion?! Simmonds has performed better than Biggar this season,should he be there too? They havnt any international experience but I stand by my statement that Smith and McGinty were the best performing FH in the league this season. Both better than Ford,Farrell and Biggar (I realise Farrell was in the Championship but he's been nothing special for England during that time)
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If Smith was a kiwi they would be drooling over him! That's the difference with us you see,we will probably try and bore the RWC 2023 to a win with a MF of Ford,Farrell,Slade while the AB would be integrating Smith ASAP. But let's not jump to conclusions until the Autumn Internationals and the next 6N. Eddie has some big decisions to make,especially at 10,12,13,15
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:33 pm Ford when he was playing for Bath looked just as dangerous as Smith.

I’m afraid that doesn’t stand up, simply because he’s never had Smith’s pace so couldn’t fix defenders and create space in outside channels as Smith does.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:43 pm

I’m afraid that doesn’t stand up, simply because he’s never had Smith’s pace so couldn’t fix defenders and create space in outside channels as Smith does.
Didn't they play a rudimentary diamond formation tactic that was found out in the end and ruthlessly crushed by Sarries?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:30 pm
How have you come to that conclusion?! Simmonds has performed better than Biggar this season,should he be there too? They havnt any international experience but I stand by my statement that Smith and McGinty were the best performing FH in the league this season. Both better than Ford,Farrell and Biggar (I realise Farrell was in the Championship but he's been nothing special for England during that time)
So to be clear, Marcus Smith should be starting for the Lions in your opinion?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Traveller wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:30 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:30 pm

So to be clear, Marcus Smith should be starting for the Lions in your opinion?
Again to be clear,how have you come to that conclusion?! It's like asking if every single qualified player who got in the GP team of the season should be starting for the Lions in the Tests! Failing to see your angle 🤔
Midlander

Post by Midlander »

There's a lot being said about Marcus Smith, and quite rightly so. He's exciting, he possesses a wealth of talent, and more importantly, he's got a dynamic and fast rugby brain. He's got the potential to be an outstanding outside half, but lets not jump the gun. He's been outstanding for Harlequins, but this is his first step up to test level, and to be fair, it was an easy introduction for him. He's still got a lot to learn, and it's a bit early to compare him with those who have actually been around the block a few times. He is exciting, and I can see him becoming one of the great number 10's. My biggest fear is that Eddie will stifle him, and we'll never see his true potential in a national jersey.