Reffell still not in the Wales Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Reffell still not in the Wales Squad

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So Navidi gets called up to the Lions & rather than pick Reffell (or even a back row player) they replace him with Rhys Davis (a lock)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Reffell still not in the Wales Squad

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

As Jac Morgan wasn't selected either in the initial squad it's not a huge surprise.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

With Cory Hill going to Japan along with Ball away to Australia and AWJ unable to carry on forever Wales need locks more than flankers currently.

Reffell is a massive talent but the Wales back row options are fantastic.

Faletau, Tipuric and Navidi - All deservedly Lions
Moriarty - A blunt instrument but one that has been effective when needed in international rugby
Wainwright - Impressive in his international career so far
Botham - Looked strong in the ANC before injury
Shane Lewis Hughes - Injured but looks a great prospect on the flank
Basham - Looks a potential star
Jac Morgan - Brilliant talent
Ollie Griffiths - I've yet to see him have a poor game, a bit like Kennigham for Quins in that he always makes a positive impact
Ellis Jenkins - If it weren't for injuries he would have a lot more caps
Thomas Young - Excellent player that can't get a look in

Even Dan Lydiate was back in great form for the Os before his latest injury. No arms chop tackles being clamped down on hit his effectiveness hard for a time but he seemed to have adjusted and was putting in excellent performances.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:08 pm With Cory Hill going to Japan along with Ball away to Australia and AWJ unable to carry on forever Wales need locks more than flankers currently.

Moriarty - A blunt instrument but one that has been effective when needed in international rugby
Ollie Griffiths - I've yet to see him have a poor game, a bit like Kennigham for Quins in that he always makes a positive impact

Even Dan Lydiate was back in great form for the Os before his latest injury. No arms chop tackles being clamped down on hit his effectiveness hard for a time but he seemed to have adjusted and was putting in excellent performances.
I agree they have a fantastic array of back row options, but why replace a back row and a lock with two locks, especially given the back row options they have
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:28 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:08 pm With Cory Hill going to Japan along with Ball away to Australia and AWJ unable to carry on forever Wales need locks more than flankers currently.

I agree they have a fantastic array of back row options, but why replace a back row and a lock with two locks, especially given the back row options they have
Wales had five senior locks for the 6N; AWJ, Ball, Beard, Hill and Rowlands. Ball and Hill are no longer playing in Wales and are so unavailable for selection any longer and unlikely to return. AWJ is 35 and Rowlands wasn't fancied by Pivac. It's imperative for Wales to start developing the next generation of lock options through. Beard is 25, Rowlands is 28. They need a couple more from the that age range to see them through to the next world cup.

Back rows are queuing up, that's not a concern.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:50 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:28 pm

Wales had five senior locks for the 6N; AWJ, Ball, Beard, Hill and Rowlands. Ball and Hill are no longer playing in Wales and are so unavailable for selection any longer and unlikely to return. AWJ is 35 and Rowlands wasn't fancied by Pivac. It's imperative for Wales to start developing the next generation of lock options through. Beard is 25, Rowlands is 28. They need a couple more from the that age range to see them through to the next world cup.

Back rows are queuing up, that's not a concern.
Plus the fact that 6 is interchangeable with lock these days...
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:55 pm So Navidi gets called up to the Lions & rather than pick Reffell (or even a back row player) they replace him with Rhys Davis (a lock)
why do you want him called up? Doing so starts the clock on him having to leave Tigers until someone with a big enough pair on them challenges this rule in court. Until that rule goes I hope he never plays for Wales.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:36 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:55 pm So Navidi gets called up to the Lions & rather than pick Reffell (or even a back row player) they replace him with Rhys Davis (a lock)
why do you want him called up? Doing so starts the clock on him having to leave Tigers until someone with a big enough pair on them challenges this rule in court. Until that rule goes I hope he never plays for Wales.
I agree from a selfish point of view, however I hope Tigers don't ever hinder people playing for their country.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

I don’t think you’ve got too many reasons to lose sleep. On top of those listed above, there’s Josh MacLeod and James Davies at Scarlets and Dan Thomas.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:34 pm
I agree from a selfish point of view, however I hope Tigers don't ever hinder people playing for their country.
oh no the club should never block it, but until this, IMO, illegal rule is scrapped I don't want any young Welsh players to be called up.

Has Jonah Holmes played for Wales since he was forced to leave us to stay eligible?
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I’m with you Jimmy ✊
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

KiwiTig wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:33 pm I’m with you Jimmy ✊
I don’t understand the fuss. As well as Wales, England, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia all have variations on this rule. Correct me if I’m wrong but if you don’t play in England, you’re ineligible regardless of how many times you’ve been capped.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Dokie wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:54 pm
I don’t understand the fuss. As well as Wales, England, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia all have variations on this rule. Correct me if I’m wrong but if you don’t play in England, you’re ineligible regardless of how many times you’ve been capped.
I think that too is wrong, personally I think there should be no restrictions, but certainly legally speaking if you are within the UK I don't see how that can stand up.

People act like its to protect the domestic game but its not, its just people living in the sporting stone age ...

How many South American footballers are based in Europe that still manage to play for their countries without an issue? Pretty much the entire Brazil squad and their domestic league still turns out generation after generation of talented players.

There is no reason why a player cannot play professional Rugby in Australia and still play for England or vice versa
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:08 am
I think that too is wrong, personally I think there should be no restrictions, but certainly legally speaking if you are within the UK I don't see how that can stand up.

People act like its to protect the domestic game but its not, its just people living in the sporting stone age ...

How many South American footballers are based in Europe that still manage to play for their countries without an issue? Pretty much the entire Brazil squad and their domestic league still turns out generation after generation of talented players.

There is no reason why a player cannot play professional Rugby in Australia and still play for England or vice versa
There is one very important rule for Welsh (and Scottish) players to consider before choosing to play or stay in England - the ban on playing outside the international window and having to return to clubs during the 6N. Gatland and Pivac have both said it has counted against some players.
Wales play NZ in October, without Faletau, Biggar, Sheedy, Zammit. If we were also without Carre, Francis, Rowlands, Moriarty, Davies, North, Adams, Williams that’s huge for a country with a relatively small elite player base.
Biggar might be favourite to start for the Lions but if Anscombe and Patchell return well from injury, he, and Sheedy, could be under real pressure for their places.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:01 am
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:08 am

There is one very important rule for Welsh (and Scottish) players to consider before choosing to play or stay in England - the ban on playing outside the international window and having to return to clubs during the 6N. Gatland and Pivac have both said it has counted against some players.
Wales play NZ in October, without Faletau, Biggar, Sheedy, Zammit. If we were also without Carre, Francis, Rowlands, Moriarty, Davies, North, Adams, Williams that’s huge for a country with a relatively small elite player base.
Biggar might be favourite to start for the Lions but if Anscombe and Patchell return well from injury, he, and Sheedy, could be under real pressure for their places.
I like Patchell ,top player! Was hoping he might have kicked on more internationally. I remember seeing him at WR in a pre season friendly and he looked outstanding.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer