Premiership Final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Final

Post by JP14 »

Joe Marchant was on another planet, my Man of the Match.

However the Quins’ victory was pivotal on the scrummaging prowess of two proper props in Marler and Louw (the power in his finish was immense too).

I used to rate Jonny Hill, and as someone who can play on the edges as part of a 1-3-3-1 or a potential 2-3-3 formation I can see the reasoning behind his selection in the Lions but he’s such a penalty machine and has actually stagnated in my opinion since winning his first international cap.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Just watched the recording of the final.Fantastic final and thrilled for Quins. I hope Steve Borthwick, who is doing a great job takes note of how Quins didn’t take any key players off: Mahler immense, Dombrant, Danny Care, Lynagh,Marchent, all kept on despite playing such a long semi-final.
To be honest, very well reffed too.
Quins might have finished fourth but that’s the system.
Pure joy to watch Quins all season in the Premiership and they had a few very good players out injured today.
Pace, powerful front row and sheer belief. Brilliant.
Maulers interview: wow. He and Genge what a pair!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just finished first half,Quins yellow warning ,another penalty,Chiefs score Carley sends Smith to the bin. Chiefs yellow warning ,another penalty,Dombramdt scores no Chiefs player goes to the bin 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Fantastic finale to what has been in many respects a season of comebacks and surprises.
Well done Harlequins , an interesting scenario awaits their new DoR - who ever he may be...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:17 am Fantastic finale to what has been in many respects a season of comebacks and surprises.
Well done Harlequins , an interesting scenario awaits their new DoR - who ever he may be...
But a) why would you appoint one when the team in situ has just done that and b) who would take that job knowing that if you try to change anything there will be a massive backlash from the Quins died in the wool lot and you'll probably lose you job. They'd have to hire somebody who wants to play the exact Quins way but I can't see how that benefits them.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:20 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:17 am Fantastic finale to what has been in many respects a season of comebacks and surprises.
But a) why would you appoint one when the team in situ has just done that and b) who would take that job knowing that if you try to change anything there will be a massive backlash from the Quins died in the wool lot and you'll probably lose you job. They'd have to hire somebody who wants to play the exact Quins way but I can't see how that benefits them.
Exactly .....
Yet apparently one is definitely incoming .As said , an interesting scenario awaits....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:20 am
100% agree. It makes no sense to change anything.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:16 pm Just finished first half,Quins yellow warning ,another penalty,Chiefs score Carley sends Smith to the bin. Chiefs yellow warning ,another penalty,Dombramdt scores no Chiefs player goes to the bin 🤔
I wondered why as well!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Quins such a curious case. Clearly Gustard was a problem for a lot of the players and yet they are a team run ex players in Jones and Evans. Some of a recruitment has been excellent. Remind me a bit of Wasps last year although Quins probably have a better chance of long term success. They play great rugby but it was their set piece that really impressed me yesterday. They will struggle without Smith in the Autumn I suspect.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:16 pm Just finished first half,Quins yellow warning ,another penalty,Chiefs score Carley sends Smith to the bin. Chiefs yellow warning ,another penalty,Dombramdt scores no Chiefs player goes to the bin 🤔
That caught my eye, I am OK with sending a player to the bin even though a try is scored but the refs have to have a level of consistency if it is going to work, Quins were disadvantaged for scoring soon after the arm goes out I suppose.

Overall a good game by Carley IMHO
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:15 am
That caught my eye, I am OK with sending a player to the bin even though a try is scored but the refs have to have a level of consistency if it is going to work, Quins were disadvantaged for scoring soon after the arm goes out I suppose.

I think at the time he said it was a scrum infringement rather than an individual penalty and there wasn't a warning at scrum time. This would at least be consistent with the way Tempest reffed the Bristol game even if we don't agree.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:28 am

I think at the time he said it was a scrum infringement rather than an individual penalty and there wasn't a warning at scrum time. This would at least be consistent with the way Tempest reffed the Bristol game even if we don't agree.
Yes but he gave them the same warning as he gave Quins,I’m sure he even mentioned his Quins warning at the time to the Chiefs players.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:37 am

Yes but he gave them the same warning as he gave Quins,I’m sure he even mentioned his Quins warning at the time to the Chiefs players.
Yes but he clearly doesn't consider scrum penalties to be the same as the offside penalties that lead to the team warning whereas Smith was half a mile offside and cynically so. Certainly if I was Dombrandt I'd have been asking the question. It was the same in the Tigers/Bristol game where the Bristol team warning didn't apply to scrum time and they were allowed to infringe multiple times at the scrum before a yellow was brandished.
JayC2
Tiger Cub

Post by JayC2 »

Cracking game and a great advert for rugby.

Didn't think Quins could do it, but they had some monster players out there.

Dombrandt & Marler were magnificent and the whole backline was stellar...

Surely EJ has to give Smith a run in the team - with some decent attacking centres though!

But that would then come down to choosing Smith or Farrell - I think I know how that would turn out <sigh>
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:51 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:37 am

Yes but he clearly doesn't consider scrum penalties to be the same as the offside penalties that lead to the team warning whereas Smith was half a mile offside and cynically so. Certainly if I was Dombrandt I'd have been asking the question. It was the same in the Tigers/Bristol game where the Bristol team warning didn't apply to scrum time and they were allowed to infringe multiple times at the scrum before a yellow was brandished.
Crazy isn’t it! Penalties are penalties imo and a warning is a warning. No consistency at all