LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by anz3001 »

Messed up
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I also think it's hard to gauge from what we've seen his contentedness, also pretty much all players know this season has been abnormal in terms of matches and opportunities. Kini has also seemed to be happy and joking with the younger lads, he may well be getting a big kick out of helping Steward and seeing him do well. I don't think he's the most natural in front of the camera so we've not seen loads of interviews with him so unless someone has an inside line on his dissatisfaction then I think people maybe reading a bit too much into it. What we do know is that his mate and countryman Nemani who planned to go back home to Aus after this year has bought in to Borthwick's plan and extended.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:21 pm Resents is a pretty strong word isn't it?

Also not sure how true that is considering he started more games this season than he had done the previous 2 seasons at La Rochelle.
I wouldn’t say resents either but he can’t be happy that he was signed as a likely starting fullback but when Freddie isn’t playing he
doesn’t get a run at 15.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... 61987?s=19

Club has confirmed Leigh Jones is in place
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dokie wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:37 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:21 pm Resents is a pretty strong word isn't it?

Also not sure how true that is considering he started more games this season than he had done the previous 2 seasons at La Rochelle.
I wouldn’t say resents either but he can’t be happy that he was signed as a likely starting fullback but when Freddie isn’t playing he
doesn’t get a run at 15.
Due mainly to a number of injuries on the wing and van Wyk not being reliable enough to trust on the run in. When Zach Henry went off for his sin bin Vs Wasps Murimurivalu seemed to be dropping back to fullback more than Steward.

I agree with ancient mariner that Murimurivalu is just a very intelligent rugby player. You could slot him in anywhere in backline pretty much because his skillset is so well rounded. He'll be a great mentor for the young lads because he'll be demonstrating the advantages of non-typical backs skills like picking and going from the breakdown and getting into good positions over the ball. We've already seen Porter incorporating the quick pick off the ruck into his game for instance. His support running lines off the wing are another aspect I hope catches on.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

I don’t have a The Rugby Paper subscription but going by the headlines looks like Fissler is stirring the ‘Ford’s off’ pot
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Fissler gets most things wrong and Ford is under contract for next season I believe.
A2O
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

The Rugby Paper is becoming a shoddy rag these days. Loose reporting, space filling exercises and the arrogant agenda following with their obligatory ‘must’ lead pieces that really wind me up......’This person MUST do this’ or ‘This organisation MUST do that’. Sure, offer an opinion but who the hell are you to say what must happen....

And then of course there’s Fissler giving it the big ‘I am’.

I used to subscribe, but I now get free access via my local library membership and an app. I read it mainly for match reports, but that’s about it.

With regards to the latest piece of ‘stunning journalism’:

“George Ford’s long-term future at Leicester Tigers was last week thrown into DEBUT when his father Mike parted company with the Welford Road club”

“Ford...has until the end of the year to to let them know if NE is going to take up the option [a two year extension] ... which will involve him cutting his pay by a third. Blindside believes the matter is to totally in the hands of Ford...’”

“...will face a dilemma staying at a club that has fired his Dad...”

“...may well decide to wait until after the 2023 World Cup before calling time on his career and moving across the channel”

And so on and so forth.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Pretty much a load of nothing.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:41 am Pretty much a load of nothing.
A load of something 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Am I right in saying the article basically says this:

Man who's contract expires in 12 months will have to make a choice to re-sign or move to a different club somewhere else?
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Pretty much, with a couple of terrible typos and a soupçon of hyperbole and lazy assumptions thrown in.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Fissler seemed to have some good contacts a few years ago and broke some rumours that turned out to be true but more recently he's just been throwing s*** at the wall and hoping something sticks.

To be honest I reckon being a prize plum has probably alienated most of the contacts he had and left him with little to no inside info.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:16 pm Fissler seemed to have some good contacts a few years ago and broke some rumours that turned out to be true but more recently he's just been throwing s*** at the wall and hoping something sticks.

To be honest I reckon being a prize plum has probably alienated most of the contacts he had and left him with little to no inside info.
A Twitter handle of ‘Walk Rugby Gossip earth like a God’ is enough to put anyone off.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

One thing is very apparent - Borthwick has battoned down the hatches in terms of any info leaking out. There's very little which is reaching outside ears in comparison to previous years