United Rugby Championship

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Scott1 »

I do chuckle at the carbon footprint line when the main ones punting it are the worse perpetrators having global jollyups swanning around on their private jets! 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe I have already paid for next season's season ticket as I continued to support the club throughout the difficulties caused by the pandemic. Now I find that the season I purchased a ticket for is distorted, First it will start later as the authorities have sneaked in changes to the timings first to facilitate the World Cup and then taking advantage of the pandemic. Then our twelve team division is increased to an unwieldy thirteen in order to include the cap cheats Saracens in a ringfenced Premiership. The guaranteed three home European matches is to be reduced to just two and long term the word European is to be taken out of the European Champions Cup as South African teams are to be included making travelling to support our team more difficult,more expensive and frankly beyond my means. I remember a few years back Saracens trying to play Premiership matches in South Africa, that plan failed and I wonder if the people behind it have discovered a back door.
Surely it is time that the various Rugby authorities came out and made clear cut statements about how they see the future of the competitions they are responsible for and the Premiership clubs and probably the French clubs consulted with their fans, shareholders and season ticket holders to find out exactly what they want. I do realise that many good supporters are not season ticket holders but unfortunately there are many anxious to voice an opinion that do not actually attend matches and are therefore not really affected as long as they can find some illegal stream from a betting site or elsewhere.
I for one would like to know if Leicester Football Club voted to kill the European Cup or if they were even consulted about it.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:29 pm Correct me if I am wrong but I believe I have already paid for next season's season ticket as I continued to support the club throughout the difficulties caused by the pandemic. Now I find that the season I purchased a ticket for is distorted, First it will start later as the authorities have sneaked in changes to the timings first to facilitate the World Cup and then taking advantage of the pandemic. Then our twelve team division is increased to an unwieldy thirteen in order to include the cap cheats Saracens in a ringfenced Premiership. The guaranteed three home European matches is to be reduced to just two and long term the word European is to be taken out of the European Champions Cup as South African teams are to be included making travelling to support our team more difficult,more expensive and frankly beyond my means. I remember a few years back Saracens trying to play Premiership matches in South Africa, that plan failed and I wonder if the people behind it have discovered a back door.
Surely it is time that the various Rugby authorities came out and made clear cut statements about how they see the future of the competitions they are responsible for and the Premiership clubs and probably the French clubs consulted with their fans, shareholders and season ticket holders to find out exactly what they want. I do realise that many good supporters are not season ticket holders but unfortunately there are many anxious to voice an opinion that do not actually attend matches and are therefore not really affected as long as they can find some illegal stream from a betting site or elsewhere.
I for one would like to know if Leicester Football Club voted to kill the European Cup or if they were even consulted about it.
Its not like you John to be speaking out against the club, got to agree with you though.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

What the Celts do with their league is their business, I am disappointed that the European Cup competition is including clubs from outside of the continent when we should be encouraging and helping the growth of the game from within. This just stinks of money again and nothing else.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Me I’m all for it! I’d like a world club championship too with the RCC winners playing the SR winners in a one off or maybe two legged game. I can’t wait for us to draw one of the big SA teams in our European group!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:21 pm What the Celts do with their league is their business, I am disappointed that the European Cup competition is including clubs from outside of the continent when we should be encouraging and helping the growth of the game from within. This just stinks of money again and nothing else.
I agree that money is probably the prime motivator in this, but when most clubs (outside of France) were losing money hand over fist, something like this was probably needed and almost bound to happen.

It does have a fair amount of logic to it and not solely financial. From the SA clubs and players perspective, they get meaningful competition without the huge time differences, jet lag etc. involved in Super Rugby. From the broadcasters (and accountants) perspective, the SA away matches can more easily be scheduled at good viewing times for both sides. From the European clubs perspective, it brings in some fresh blood. When English clubs were getting 1 or 2 (from 6) French clubs each year, it was not uncommon to draw the same team in the pool stages 2 or 3 years in a row, losing a fair bit of the appeal (Toulon again anyone 🙄).

As for helping the growth of the game from 'within', within where? Europe? This was being done in the Challenge Cup before Covid (anyone for a trip to Enesei anyone or Spain or Portugal, depending on who qualified) and wasn't there a 3rd tier competition, almost certainly killed off (hopefully temporarily) by Covid?

I agree with JTG that the loss of a home pool game is poor and that if we draw a SA team, very few will be able to afford to go, so some swings and roundabouts for the fans who go to the matches. Whether the change to 4 pool games and a round of 16 continues, we'll have to wait and see, but I suspect that it will for various reasons.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The only money that counts is TV money because I cannot afford to follow Tigers to Bayonne, Jo'burg, Hong Kong and Abu Dhabi in a Saracens led world club tournament which, I suggest, is the aim.

The money men are trying to turn our game into a 52 week a year spectacle. The schedule is already overcrowded. Every 4 years a world cup, in between a Lions' tour. Every year 6 nations (or the proposed 8) in the Spring then Autumn internationals as well as the premiership and now an expanded "European" competition. All this from a reduced cap premiership and a semi-professional Championship. Enough.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I would like J the Griff to please give a reference to the reduced pools etc. I can't find any info on the new comp. Thanks
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

For me The Pro 14 had become stale and predictable over recent times.Whilst South African involvement is not necessarily desirable the change could provide the competition some impetus,
The world before Covid was long getting smaller, perhaps a move of this nature was inevitable .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would also like to add that South African involvement in the Champions Cup has not been signed off on yet.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:17 pm I would like J the Griff to please give a reference to the reduced pools etc. I can't find any info on the new comp. Thanks
The EPCR site (link on my post on the previous page) shows 4 initial rounds followed by a round of 16. I, and probably JTG, have assumed 8 pools of 3, each team playing each other home and away. Regardless of the exact format, one would assume 2 home games and 2 away games, compared to 3 before Covid struck.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Thanks. All I keep getting in searches is info about this year's finals!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I would prefer 6 groups of 4,play 3 teams home and away then top team qualifies and 2 best runners up straight into a QF.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The European pool stage matches for next season are over four weekends Dec 10/11/12, Dec 17/18/19. Jan 14/15/16.
Jan 21/22/23 then into last sixteen 1st leg April 8/9/10. Hence my assumption just two home pool stage matches thatt can be included on the season ticket.
I foresee that the inclusion of South African teams in European competition will herald the further expansion of the 6 Nations with home nation star players away from Premiership club duty so reduced value for your season ticket and eventually as clubs struggle to compete with the various national Union funded provinces the next step will be to split England into regions with an amalgamation of some clubs to form District teams Midlands, North, London, South West etc at top level with traditional clubs like Tigers, Saints etc being reduced to the equivalent of a Principality League.
You may not think it could happen, but I bet the fans of Pontypool, Pontyridd, Neath, Bridgend, Swansea etc thought the same.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:52 am The European pool stage matches for next season are over four weekends Dec 10/11/12, Dec 17/18/19. Jan 14/15/16.
Jan 21/22/23 then into last sixteen 1st leg April 8/9/10. Hence my assumption just two home pool stage matches thatt can be included on the season ticket.
I foresee that the inclusion of South African teams in European competition will herald the further expansion of the 6 Nations with home nation star players away from Premiership club duty so reduced value for your season ticket and eventually as clubs struggle to compete with the various national Union funded provinces the next step will be to split England into regions with an amalgamation of some clubs to form District teams Midlands, North, London, South West etc at top level with traditional clubs like Tigers, Saints etc being reduced to the equivalent of a Principality League.
You may not think it could happen, but I bet the fans of Pontypool, Pontyridd, Neath, Bridgend, Swansea etc thought the same.
Very frightened of that scenario. :smt022