LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Traveller »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:03 pm Lewis will surely get picked up by someone & you can hardly blame White for leaving, if WW is staying as a player it's a massive waste of Cap Money for a player who got worse as the season went on from a low base.
How much is Richard Wigglesworth on?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Traveller wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:28 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:03 pm Lewis will surely get picked up by someone & you can hardly blame White for leaving, if WW is staying as a player it's a massive waste of Cap Money for a player who got worse as the season went on from a low base.
Wouldn't be surprised if it's less than White was on
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I’m expecting to have to get used to smaller senior squads. Maybe the days of having 4 deep in most positions are over, so more flexibility to cover a number of roles will be key.

I’m not 100% convinced about Worth, but if he does come back then potentially he on his own could be 4th cover for a few positions.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I'm really surprised Sam Lewis has been released. :smt017
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:00 pm I'm really surprised Sam Lewis has been released. :smt017
Likewise. I think he has a lot of potential as a big, quick, blindside flanker. I hope he gets picked up by another premiership side and proves himself.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I don't see white staying as 3rd choice behind Youngs and JVP either though.

On Lewis, Borthwick seems to have a type
Liebenberg
Martin
Chessum
Brink
Have all been our 6's this season
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/rosshmediaman/statu ... 66787?s=19

Interesting, seems to suggest that terms with Ford have only just be agreed today (which may explain why he didn't get announced with the playing staff leaving)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

PAW3 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:27 pm or stop playing Martin at 6 and move him to the second row to develop his game
No no no! 6 is doing far more for his development and I think we saw what he offers with the relative freedom at 6!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:04 pm
Traveller wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:28 pm
Wouldn't be surprised if it's less than White was on
Or maybe less than White wanted. His negotiation position would have gone downhill as JVP overtook him.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:00 pm I'm really surprised Sam Lewis has been released. :smt017
Sadly the reality is he’s now 23 and has spent most of the year on loan in the Championship. He needed to be establishing himself as a first team regular at Tigers at this point, as 19 year old Martin, Chessum and slightly older Henderson are doing.

Those three are also still in the Dev squad, so cost far less.

Unfortunately it’s difficult to justify keeping a player like Lewis when he’s playing his regular rugby in the Championship and youngsters are performing in the first team.
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:03 pm
Sadly the reality is he’s now 23 and has spent most of the year on loan in the Championship. He needed to be establishing himself as a first team regular at Tigers at this point, as 19 year old Martin, Chessum and slightly older Henderson are doing.

Those three are also still in the Dev squad, so cost far less.

Unfortunately it’s difficult to justify keeping a player like Lewis when he’s playing his regular rugby in the Championship and youngsters are performing in the first team.

Sadly for Sam Lewis he isn't the right size for the typical 6 in the prem at the moment. He did well at Coventry, he ended in the last two for try of the season. Heard he may be going abroad but not sure where. I'm sure he'll do well where ever he ends up. I think his release is more to do with the salary cap than anything else and also I'm convinced some players have been let go as they are not Borthwick's choice and were the choice of the old guard. Good player, will be missed.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Unfortunately I think he sits just outside the ideal mould for either a Premiership lock or a Borthwick 6.

He’ll do well somewhere.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

If the various media reports are true, it’s a shame about Mike Ford. Defence looked improved this year. Lots of experience going out the door too. Call me old fashioned, but some stability in the coaching team might be useful
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

With the way Quins play Lewis would suit them.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

No great surprises with the leavers . I think most of us could of picked nearly every one of them and most of them announced today are squad or development players .Borthwick sees them week in week out and has separated the wheat from the chaff.interested in who will be coming in and what’s happening with the coaching set up but as many people have said just got to trust Steve . He’s started to put his imprint on the squad in the last 12 months now he has released and signed more players to shape the squad in his mould which was inevitable and necessary. Murphy seemed to struggle with that side of things , a great man but not what we needed to be successful.A full pre season ahead . Roll on 2021/22 season