How do you rate this season?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: How do you rate this season?

Post by Traveller »

For me its been 9/10 in terms of what we might have expected given the fact as an incoming coach he had to deal with all the stuff that we are all know so much about i.e player churn, implosion within the club, lack of quality coaches.I think he has been superb.

There is going to be a real challenge to kick on though next season. I am confident that we can do it, but if 6th and competitive in Europe is now the benchmark. I don't believe any of Exeter, Sale, Bristol or Quins are going to be weaker (two of those clubs having changes of coach mid season to contend with this year. Saracens are going to be back and won't have tough European competition to distract them. I can't believe that Bath will continue to underperform as they have done (watching them running around cheering yesterday having come 7th, given the talent in their squad was embarrassing) Saints finished above us and are probably ahead of us in terms of overall development, and Wasps........

So if nothing much changes with Exeter, Bristol, Sale, and I can't see why it would. Then you have Saracens, Saints, Quins, Northampton and ourselves. We might get to 4th or 5th, but 6th still wouldn't be a shock. Bottom line `Sarries returning toughens everything up for everyone.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

If all that has transpired was offered before the season began I'd have taken it with open arms.Potentially strong foundations are being laid and I don't believe that Steve Borthwick is the kind of man to rest up until we have progressed and achieved a whole lot more - and even then a whole new set of targets will come into focus.We are in safe hands , be thankful and look forward...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I think it’s a good 7 out of 10. I think 6th position possibly flattered the team but obvious signs of progress under v difficult conditions, and I can see the coaching is adding value. I think for me the more competitive nature of the side was obvious this year in comparison to previous seasons, when at times you did wonder where that had gone.
I am a little concerned about who else is leaving other then those we know, and tbh I am really very lukewarm about the 10s changes, but whether the decision making here is correct, we will see next season. Additional recruitment announcements beyond those we know might improve, but I expect money is v tight.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Copied from Twitter -

Difference in Prem table points 2019/20 to 2020/21:
Leicester +25
Quins +20
Bristol +16
Saints +15
L Irish +14
Sale +10
Exeter +8

Gloucester -1
Bath -15
Worcester -15
Wasps -21
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Obvs COVID points different this season, but I guess this is a measure.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Crazy thing is 12 of those Worcester points came from COVID wins.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RichieB wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:55 pm Copied from Twitter -

Difference in Prem table points 2019/20 to 2020/21:
Leicester +25
Quins +20
Bristol +16
Saints +15
L Irish +14
Sale +10
Exeter +8

Gloucester -1
Bath -15
Worcester -15
Wasps -21
Wowzers what an improvement!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkshire man »

For me we have improved vastly this season. The team doesn't roll over when things don't go well. Last season if we went behind in a game we usually lost. This year the team have stood up and battled on. That for me has been the greatest difference.

The other point I would make is that it is great to see products of the academy and youth coming through. In previous seasons we might as well not have had an academy for what it produced. This year we have seen at least seven young men step up to the first team and they have all done well

Finally I am glad to see that the improvements which Harry Wells has made, which have been tremendous, have been recognised with his call into the England training squad. He has done so well this season as an unsung hero, and his name must be one of the first on the team sheet every week.

8 out of 10 for me for the season on a general improvement basis.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

YorkshireMan - yes you are spot on about the young players coming through. Really exciting talent. Reviewing the Wasps game again, Martin in particular looked excellent, and JVP seemed quick in getting the ball away. Keeping hold of them is vital,
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Good write up on Wells in the Rugby paper.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Yorkshire man wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:26 pm For me we have improved vastly this season. The team doesn't roll over when things don't go well. Last season if we went behind in a game we usually lost. This year the team have stood up and battled on. That for me has been the greatest difference.

The other point I would make is that it is great to see products of the academy and youth coming through. In previous seasons we might as well not have had an academy for what it produced. This year we have seen at least seven young men step up to the first team and they have all done well

Finally I am glad to see that the improvements which Harry Wells has made, which have been tremendous, have been recognised with his call into the England training squad. He has done so well this season as an unsung hero, and his name must be one of the first on the team sheet every week.

8 out of 10 for me for the season on a general improvement basis.
I’d agree with all of this. I’d say the biggest positive for me is the emergence of a really solid squad of players who fight for the shirt, have pride and respect in their club and fight to the end regardless of the score. SB has built a gnarly squad built on solid foundations that I imagine most sides won’t look forward to playing!

We no longer have to fear the 6N window with a potential side of Van Wyk Montoya Cole Wells Snyman Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese JvP Burns Nadolo Scott Moroni Potter Murimurivalu a more than adequate side to match most in the league. And plenty of other names could well be in the mix too.

Lots of fringe players off loaded, some real quality signings have come in, academy lads have stepped up and some squad players have really raised their game to a new level.

Line out, maul and scrum are all really solid and we have a pretty solid defense. Penalty count is nearly always lower than our opponents now and the cards are getting less and less.

Overall a vast improvement on last 2 seasons, top 6 and a European final, 25 points above our standing last season and the most improved side in that respect. Cracking job SB and while some of us (myself included) might question your selections you’ve proved us wrong nearly every time!

8/10 for me and lots to be hopeful about
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:38 pm https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... borthwick/

Interesting to give you an idea on the changes not just from the playing side of things but the back room stuff.
All members of staff being invited too the weekly team meetings now.
Coaches offices in the same building as the other staff now
Incredible that, from the article at least, it took SB to think that perhaps having lots of cliques by separating everyone perhaps wasn’t fostering collaboration and team work.

At least it’s being sorted now.

I’d score it 7.5/10 but given the past two seasons I’d have barely given a 2/10 this is a considerable step up and it’s exciting to think what will come next!

I can’t wait!