How do you rate this season?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: How do you rate this season?

Post by Old Hob »

Agree with the above. Huge improvements all round. Commitment and energy which is really pleasing as it was obvious that those two things were absent in the last few years. And when those boys hear a proper WR crowd...

One note about the pool we swim in. I think that, other than Exeter, every club in the top 9 has also improved, some quite dramatically (Quins, Saints for example) and, presumably, will continue to.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

8/10
It’s about the journey to date ie the distance travelled for me
Of course we are not a top 4 side yet we finished 6th !
...from where we started to where we are now is a clear 8/10.
There is still work to be done but none of us should be critical of what has been achieved
I can’t wait for next season
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

6/12 the table doesn't lie.
Got to be chuffed in the improvement.
Well done all at the Oval and MWWR.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Humility and patience :smt002
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

it’s been great to win some games and be competitive at last, in every game. We don’t give up. I really hope that expectations don’t get out of hand. Remember Borthwick said that this was a long term project. We are still a way off the Top 4 sides I think. It will take another couple of years at least.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Compared to the last two seasons this is a remarkable achievement(6th).
I’d hope to see us get a few wins v Exeter, Bristol and Sarries next season then make Welford Road a real fortress.
A lot depends on injuries and we will be missing top players because of the Southern Hemisphere international which go on for way into the Autumn.
Still gutted McPhillips is going: far better player than Freddie Burns( and honestly, I really have always liked Freddie but McPhillips stays fit and is improving rapidly.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

I’d also give it an 8. Steve has done brilliantly with what he knows inside out ie the forwards and Aled’s fitness work had done wonders for us.
Moving up the pecking order pretty much depends upon us getting an attack coach who not only can create a functioning back line and varied attack but also has enough of a say to get players selected in the positions in which he can utilise their strengths most effectively. For instance, it’s no coincidence that our back 3 were pretty anonymous today. I’ve felt a few times that we’ve won games or come close because of the strength of the pack and despite the selections at 9 and in the back 3.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

McPhillips is joining a French second division side and has never been anything more than solid in a Tigers shirt, I don't get why people are saying he is better than Burns?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeh I don't get the "Far better" bit.

I do think he's been brilliant though this season when played, he will do well in france IMO.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

To answer the OP

On the context of the whole last 5 years 9/10.
Challenge cup Final
6th
Champions Cup rugby next season again finally.

In retrospect I would say more 6/10.
Which is good.
17 points away from top 4 I can think of 3 games we should've won off the top of my head Bath (A), Saints (H) and Bristol (H).
Left a lot of bonus points out there this season.
It's nice having the feeling of knowing the team can do more because they are showing it on the pitch, this team doesn't feel like a mid table team which is IMO a potential worry at times for some clubs, they have a good season finish mid table but it felt like they don't have the higher ceiling.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Borthwick deserves the freedom of Leicester for removing all the detritus from the previous regime. What an incredible transformation.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

7½ for me

End of last season when clubs were rotating players, we faced mainly first XV's because they identified ours as a game to target a win.

Not one team will face us next year thinking it's an easy win.

Finished 6th & Challenge cup Final.
4 games (Bath, Saints, Montpellier & Bristol) could easily have gone our way. Saints who finished 3 points above us picked up 4 more points from Covid affected games than we did.

Some real depth to the squad, some exciting new players, a sense of teamspirit is back. All in all I'm more than pleased with the season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I think 6/12 is a good rating but the young players that have got us there and the recent signings who have shown real grit and an belief in the SB way put Tigers in a very good position. I will not name names of other players in the past but those at the England camp deserve it and I do not think those around 2 years ago would have been on Eddie’s radar.

McP has done well recently but did not play much until a few months ago and looked flakey until 3 games ago. Freddie B was a different league when he was here before. We do need a younger good quality 10 though and I do not think Bonilla is it.

We are not too 2 currently but defend better that the 4th placed team. Second half of our season has been 4/12 (not done the stats so feel free to correct me). I think we could be Champions cup quarter or semi and top 4 next year. Following year all the currently young lads will be in their prime and I think we could do even better. :smt045
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... borthwick/

Interesting to give you an idea on the changes not just from the playing side of things but the back room stuff.
All members of staff being invited too the weekly team meetings now.
Coaches offices in the same building as the other staff now
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Don’t subscribe, what does it say !?