LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Scott1 »

Pellsey wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:02 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:41 pm I’d take Worth at 10 over Joe Ford!
I'd take Tom Youngs at 10 over Joe Ford.

Could it be that Bonilla has an injury and we haven't been told?
😂😂😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:13 am
Pellsey wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:02 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:41 pm I’d take Worth at 10 over Joe Ford!
I'd take Tom Youngs at 10 over Joe Ford.

Could it be that Bonilla has an injury and we haven't been told?
😂😂😂
I actually think that is quite possible, Diaz Bonilla was said at the beginning of the season to be helping with attack coaching, he was very visible on a lot of training photos on social media. Then a few months ago he dissappeared completly off them until the other week when he reappeared in a pic. Could well be an injury, especially given he'd barely played for 12months before he joined us, body could have picked something up and he could have been working heavily with Aled for a while now.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Could see Tommy Mathews being someone we could bring in. Hadn't seen that he was released by Saints. Highly rated from what I remember seeing, and announced in the England U20s having previously been a Wales U18
Last edited by TigerMac3 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Bonilla is off also judging from social media.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:53 am Bonilla is off also judging from social media.
Definitely got a FH or maybe even a FH and utility coming in then
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Will be interesting to see the full leavers list could well be some big surprise leavers.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:11 am Will be interesting to see the full leavers list could well be some big surprise leavers.
You saying that scares me RB... "big surprise leavers" when we have built up a nice core is not what I want to hear.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

SB Inherited a squad. The start of this season saw him taking a close look at who was willing to adapt and who was worth investing in. The rotation we all saw .Stamping his philosophy, authority and work ethic. I believe he has his vision of who has committed to adapt and who he believe is the right fit for the future of the club.
If BIG changes are to be announced it will be HIS squad and HIS vision.
I for one am sorry to see certain players leave, who I believe stepped up to the plate and gave good account of themselves. Its my club but I am not in charge nor being paid the big bucks to drive this club on. Lets not forget players may also wish to move on.

I am curious and wait with anticipation. :smt026
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

This is a great time in the rugby calendar. It's guessing game time for us all, and the pot is boiling. It is also fun time, when we think of fun threads to keep keep us ticking over for a few months. Let's do it all in style folks, as per usual. :smt023
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

SB has long said that he is aiming to 're-shape the squad', and this is naturally an on-going process - adding players he wants as and when they become available, and maybe not renewing some existing players contracts as they come to an end (or releasing early if they have other opportunities).
We have seen the 'churn' of large numbers of the squad over the last few seasons, and I am hoping, save for the on-going re-shaping', that we have a period of relative stability.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Given the amount of fly halves leaving, just have a feeling the Ben White rumours to LI are probably true too. Especially given the little gametime he’s had this season.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

If Bonilla leaves as well it looks like any more incoming will be backs which quite honestly is what we need. Forwards look ok to me but a big centre and a speedy winger would be top of my list.
A2O
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I'm hoping there is a young 10 that has really caught the eye of SB in training and he is making room for them, 3 senior 10s and 1 from the academy would be a good mix IMO
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

wellstiger wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:50 pm SB Inherited a squad. The start of this season saw him taking a close look at who was willing to adapt and who was worth investing in. The rotation we all saw .Stamping his philosophy, authority and work ethic. I believe he has his vision of who has committed to adapt and who he believe is the right fit for the future of the club.
If BIG changes are to be announced it will be HIS squad and HIS vision.
I for one am sorry to see certain players leave, who I believe stepped up to the plate and gave good account of themselves. Its my club but I am not in charge nor being paid the big bucks to drive this club on. Lets not forget players may also wish to move on.

I am curious and wait with anticipation. :smt026
I agree with that BUT a key issue (often highlighted by Borthwick) is the lack of games together for our players and how that limits what the team can produce. Given the constant high churn I want to avoid another one at all costs. 37 players left last summer and during this season. We already know another 4 leaving in the summer; I can see probably 8 or so extra leavers as part of re-shaping but by far if in doubt I'd look to retain and build relationships.

Leavers I wouldn't worry about: Bower, Marfo, Lewis, Coughlan, White, Bonilla, Aspland-Robinson, Worth & Olowofela. Wouldn't be too stressed with Simmons and Williams leaving but feel they are classic good flexible squad players who more than earn their keep and help the others in the team reach their full level.

Worried we might be losing Leatigaga, Murimurivalu, Porter, Potter who I think all add something to the team after RB's post.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:04 pm Worried we might be losing Leatigaga, Murimurivalu, Porter, Potter who I think all add something to the team after RB's post.
Leatigaga was the first player that shot to mind when RB mentioned big leavers. With how far his scrummaging has come at Tigers he's now the sort of prop that Top 14 clubs would pay good money for. Massive, carries well and scrums on either side. Titi Lamositele was rumoured to have got a decent pay bump moving to Montpellier.

I really hope not as I love watching Nephi play. As well as being a very good player he's a fun one to watch which can sometimes be overlooked in the clinical pro era!

The mooted return to Super Rugby of Western Force from 2022 would mean more opportunities for Aussies. Potter and Porter might have caught the eye. They were presumably Rob Taylor scouted players so if Taylor is going to be involved with a Super Rugby franchise he might've been in touch with either.

I await the confirmed leavers next week with a plenty of interest and a bit of trepidation.