LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RichieB wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:25 pm What I don’t follow with both Henry and McP both going is why have they been ‘looked at’ in recent weeks. I know Ford can’t play every game. This is why I don’t think Bonilla is the answer as surely SB would have been using him much more on the pitch if he was staying.

I’d guess we must have someone else lined up and (again I am guessing) Ford must be fit enough to play v Wasps as I wouldn’t want someone who is leaving imminently to be playing in this important game.
3 possibilities as I see it.

1 - we were comparing the two to work out which to keep, but with our dallying they decided both to get a new club and a new contract.

2 - One of our Argentine contigent is working towards dual citizenship. So next season we have a combo that works, but this season we need to make do as we can't play them together.

3 - Diaz Bonilla is off too and with Ford injured we needed to play them off or not.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If only we could drag Costelow back from South Wales.... would take Dan Jones from the Scarlets as a No.3 FH if he thinks opportunities might be scare at the Parc.

Perhaps Joe Ford is coming back......
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:38 pm If only we could drag Costelow back from South Wales.... would take Dan Jones from the Scarlets as a No.3 FH if he thinks opportunities might be scare at the Parc.

Costelow is a great shout,wash your mouth out about Joe 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:38 pm If only we could drag Costelow back from South Wales.... would take Dan Jones from the Scarlets as a No.3 FH if he thinks opportunities might be scare at the Parc.

Where is Joe Ford these days, last I saw he was a player coach at Leeds but that was before they went bust
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tom Hardwick still doesn't have a club 🤣🤣🤣
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’d take Worth at 10 over Joe Ford!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:36 pm
RichieB wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:25 pm
3 - Diaz Bonilla is off too and with Ford injured we needed to play them off or not.
I think this is very likely. If he was n the frame for future plans I’m sure he would have featured far more, especially with Montoya out for so long (and potentially Lavanini on a European passport). I can only imagine he hasn’t featured because he’s moving on. Otherwise we could have played him nearly every game unless I’m mistaken while Montoya was injured.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 pm How many foreign players are we allowed, obviously Lavanini is leaving but he hasn't been in the team often, was just wondering if we are projected to lose any foreign players that might free up a slot for Bonilla in the match day squad next season
Think it’s 2. Likely to be Montoya and Moroni next season. Pretty sure Lavanini has a European passport so he didn’t really come into the equation unless I’m mistaken.

I reckon Bonilla will move on and we will sign someone else.. not sure how much cap we have to spare but with Ford and Burns we have a decent few options but could do with one more that’s for sure! and they’ll need to be better than JMcP who put in some good performances recently so I watch on in anticipation with the popcorn at the ready.. well in the cupboard but it’s within easy reach!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

McP looked nervous in his initial games but did well last weekend. Henry is a big too mercurial for our game plan and is even more mercurial then Freddie and less solid defensively. Compared to JVP, Martin and Steward neither seemed in the same class and dis not give the impression they would ever be more than 3rd choice. Certainly worth recruiting to have a look but if they have better offers then leaving with our thanks and best wishes and we roll the dice again seems the best option all round. Fingers crossed we get a double 6 on the dice.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Jeremy Staunton?.. :smt005
He did a pretty good job in his time at Tigers when needed.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 pm How many foreign players are we allowed, obviously Lavanini is leaving but he hasn't been in the team often, was just wondering if we are projected to lose any foreign players that might free up a slot for Bonilla in the match day squad next season
Think it’s 2. Likely to be Montoya and Moroni next season. Pretty sure Lavanini has a European passport so he didn’t really come into the equation unless I’m mistaken.

I reckon Bonilla will move on and we will sign someone else.. not sure how much cap we have to spare but with Ford and Burns we have a decent few options but could do with one more that’s for sure! and they’ll need to be better than JMcP who put in some good performances recently so I watch on in anticipation with the popcorn at the ready.. well in the cupboard but it’s within easy reach!
Yep 2 overseas is the limit. Will be interesting with Brexit when Prem rugby get round to redoing the rules how they'll end up doing it.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:11 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:04 pm

Yep 2 overseas is the limit. Will be interesting with Brexit when Prem rugby get round to redoing the rules how they'll end up doing it.
Let’s just hope it’s not a maximum of 2 South Africans!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:10 pm Jeremy Staunton?.. :smt005
He did a pretty good job in his time at Tigers when needed.
Held the Fort at a crucial time, wouldn't knock him :smt023
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

I think the replacement will need to be flexible and play first five-eighths or full back!!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

The other thing is that fly halves need to play and Henry and McPhillips are at an age when they will want to play most weeks. Henry will likely be second choice in France and McPhillips will be first choice.