LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RagingBull »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:02 pm
Doesn't seem to be much truth in the 'We'll announce leavers after the last game' malarkey! Going to be an interesting summer!
Guess if the other clubs are announcing signings not much they can do TBF
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by kpj tiger »

How many foreign players are we allowed, obviously Lavanini is leaving but he hasn't been in the team often, was just wondering if we are projected to lose any foreign players that might free up a slot for Bonilla in the match day squad next season
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Just a thought: is it possible that the reason we haven't seen much of Bonilla is he struggles with the language? Maybe he is going through some intensive tuition? :smt017
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

fentiger wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:20 pm Just a thought: is it possible that the reason we haven't seen much of Bonilla is he struggles with the language? Maybe he is going through some intensive tuition? :smt017
From memory his English was good enough to do a BBC RL interview in November time so I wouldn't have thought so
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 pm How many foreign players are we allowed, obviously Lavanini is leaving but he hasn't been in the team often, was just wondering if we are projected to lose any foreign players that might free up a slot for Bonilla in the match day squad next season
Lavanini has been on the bench most weeks so that is a spot freed up
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 pm
fentiger wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:20 pm Just a thought: is it possible that the reason we haven't seen much of Bonilla is he struggles with the language? Maybe he is going through some intensive tuition? :smt017
From memory his English was good enough to do a BBC RL interview in November time so I wouldn't have thought so
OK, didn't know that :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:39 pm Evening folks. Given the improvements in the squad over the last 12 months, here's something looking at the squad, and seeing what needs adding in.

https://aviewfromle2.wixsite.com/websit ... ere-we-are
Good read.
Not sure I agree with the
"However, thanks to the hard work that Murphy, Simon Cohen and Jan McGinty put in, Tigers started this season with a much improved squad"
Cohen tenure added Henry, Mamu, Nadolo and Brink 2 are confirmed/gone off already and we sort of stumbled into that improved squad.
I credit whoever signed the replacements for the Covid leavers though did a great job in a short amount of time.

You also in the previous Paragraph say
"As much as there were question marks over the quality of coaching, it would be hard to imagine many coaches creating any sort of silk’s purse out of the sow’s ear that Geordan Murphy inherited."

Which ironically was more the Cohen years in terms of squads.

I hear both Goode and Healey credit Murphy for the current squad but without knowing who was involved with who's signign directly it's hard IMO to lay claim.

Who signed Wiese v Who signed Enever for example.
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

sk 88 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:26 pm
TheChild wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:47 pm
Not Tigers involved in this one- but I can recall one occasion where a couple of days before our biggest game of the season, a club with ‘links’ decide they want our first choice prop to warm their bench. Said prop doesn’t want to go, we can’t spare him but club with ‘links’ insist they must have him. He’s on for ten minutes, then he returns to us. Following that said club hound us so much to sign him that we eventually give in. He’s under contract, we don’t want to let him go, he doesn’t want to go etc. Then said club changes their mind leaving him without a club.

This is what happens when clubs develop ‘links’ the Prem club thinks they automatically have first choice of every single member of the other team’s squad, especially ones who have no links to the other team.
That doesn't make any sense and suggests the anonymous player needs to know himself and his own mind better. Or was lying to you to make him look better for leaving. If he had a contract and didn't want to leave then why on earth would he. He's not a slave to go where Nottingham or AN Other Prem Club tell him to go.
Not quite as simple as you think but that’s all I’m prepared to say on the matter.
I’ve had my rant, said what I needed to, done, move on.

Back on topic- bit surprised that McPhillips is off.
Wonder if we’re bringing in another fly half then?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ian Keatley is free

Maybe sinfield is being lined up as a player? :smt003
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Surprising him and Henry have gone . Obviously a development type 10 to be incoming in my opinion. Hold judgement till we see who’s coming in but excited for potential recruits. Teams come on leaps and bounds this year , jvp Martin and steward amongst others have stepped up and we’ve added the likes of Montoya and wiese who have added to the squad and team massively . Excited for next season for sure
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Dan Lancaster is a 10 that plays 12 and 15 coming through.
Currently at Leeds.

But that will need to changed once U20's is over.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

An Orlando Bailey / George Barton type would be great

Edit: think Barton is out of contract too
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

What I don’t follow with both Henry and McP both going is why have they been ‘looked at’ in recent weeks. I know Ford can’t play every game. This is why I don’t think Bonilla is the answer as surely SB would have been using him much more on the pitch if he was staying.

I’d guess we must have someone else lined up and (again I am guessing) Ford must be fit enough to play v Wasps as I wouldn’t want someone who is leaving imminently to be playing in this important game.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

It may be that we didn’t want them to leave but the lure of the euro was too tempting. Not to say the club wanted rid
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:09 pm Dan Lancaster is a 10 that plays 12 and 15 coming through.
Currently at Leeds.

But that will need to changed once U20's is over.

Stuart’s lad?