Bristols bloodgate?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Bristols bloodgate?

Post by Faulks04 »

Not good from Bristol either way . Afoa gave a cheeky wink when he was on the bench . They knew what they were doing
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

There's a lot saying it's not the same level as bloodgate but why not?

Bloodgate saw a team engage in subterfuge and lying to manipulate the team on the pitch using regulations that are meant to safeguard players from the pressure to play through an injury. It was the same this afternoon.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:32 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:17 pm Perhaps what happened was nothing to do with trying to cheat in this match but more about future matches.
Having lost Sinckler to injury before the match today then Afoa becomes an even more important player and maybe having been sat on the bench with muscles stiffened Afoa's coach simply did not want his best prop risked further even if only for a minute.
In the end Afoa came back on anyway so they all got there in the end.
It's either both or neither surely?
If you want to be precious about it.
The player came back on anyway so no wrong was done.
Did Afoa have any sort of injury despite what the substitution said, we do not know, but if so then maybe his coach was not completely wrong.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Pat Lam clearly knew what he was doing but it’s not on the same level as bloodgate simply because Afoa did go on in the end. The worst bit for me was saying to tempest “it’s your fault if he gets injured”.

Lam is clearly a great coach but personally never been much of a fan. Too much hot air for me. Genge called him out before when he was talking about “bringing Bristol boys home” when he just wanted to sign top players on below market rates.

Either way Tigers should have won that match and had plenty of opportunities to do so. Trying to score via scrums always makes me a bit nervous because a defending team can concede 4 pens then win 1 and not lose anything.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I notice Ben Kay post match thought it was not a problem other than of Tigers making.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:05 pm I notice Ben Kay post match thought it was not a problem other than of Tigers making.
That’s like asking Jeremy Guscott his thoughts on an England situation!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

From very early on I thought they were trying to go to uncontested scrums which strikes me as ‘gamesmanship’ of the worst order. Lost respect for them as a club and especially for Lam
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It is not bloodgate and that Bristol side won’t have the forwards to beat Exeter or Sale.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

If we’d have had Ben and Johnny on the pitch today Ben would have been quietly fuming whilst Johnno told the ref to get it sorted quick or there will be trouble. Cockerill would have done something similar as I remember in the last Premiership Final v Saints that after a few late hits on Flood( went off injured) and Crofty, he rushed down to bellow out to the touch judge,If you officials don’t sort this out I cannot be responsible for my players in the way they sort it!” RC got reprimanded but then Dylan got himself sent off!
I was in the Mattioli stand and just couldn’t believe how Tempest reffed the last 6-7 minutes. Bristol did the same at their place in terms of giving consecutive penalties away as we tried to get a losing bonus point.
Move on and take the ref and anything else out of the equation v Wasps.
Great effort by the club and fans.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:20 pmCockerill would have done something similar as I remember in the last Premiership Final v Saints that after a few late hits on Flood( went off injured) and Crofty, he rushed down to bellow out to the touch judge,If you officials don’t sort this out I cannot be responsible for my players in the way they sort it!” RC got reprimanded
Cockers got a 9 match touchline ban, a little more than a reprimand although wasn't his for 'abusive language' to officials? Wonder if the powers that be will view this today similarly, or even slightly less so? There should be something comes out of it, if not it'll just strengthen any feelings of 'one rule for us and no rules for anyone else' (rightly or wrongly)

The 'something' will be those upstart Tigers players getting lengthy bans for their part in the skirmish at the end.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

It’s not a blood gate in my opinion. The Ref created a situation that would not have happened if he’d handled it better. Though my estimation of Pat Lam has fallen significantly.

And I for one couldn’t understand.

1. Why we didn’t kick for the draw

OR

2. Why we didn’t go for the line out and rolling maul, particularly after the yellow.

OR (most importantly)

3. Throw it out wide when we had a 2-3 person overlap

On a good note, it’s going to be a sellout for Tigers v Bristol next season!!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Goodness me, a lot of fans on here posting about Bristol cheating etc, etc, etc. We have a long history according to other club forums of cheating re Neil Back and lots of other instances, all the teams who have been successful in their era have been accused of cheating in their heyday, Bath in their glory years, tigers, wasps and Saracens recently.
Get a grip guys, we are just as culpable if bending the rules as other clubs.
Short and deluded memories by a lot of posters on here.
We are on our way back to the top 6, so let’s enjoy the ride without accusations against other clubs, without them we wouldn’t have the wonderful game we so enjoy.
The hate against other teams on here is sad to read.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:10 pm No he's injured.. but it says it was a technical sub, no he's injured.. he's definitely injured... what's that? we will be down to 13 and have to lose another player? No he's fine, technical sub honestly Sir! Disgraceful.. as was the skirmish after the whistle.. :smt011
Perfect description of events.

Out of interest, can there be a citing for actions after the game is over?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:27 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:17 pm Perhaps what happened was nothing to do with trying to cheat in this match but more about future matches.
Having lost Sinckler to injury before the match today then Afoa becomes an even more important player and maybe having been sat on the bench with muscles stiffened Afoa's coach simply did not want his best prop risked further even if only for a minute.
In the end Afoa came back on anyway so they all got there in the end.
That sounds far too much like the voice of reason, which is rare in this forum :smt001
Problem for Lam is he couldn’t remember what lie he was telling. Claim CS was injured on the Thursday so had to play JA ...but they named CS in the squad on the Friday..Said JA went on after “being harassed by Leicester”...Pat, it was on the Telly and that’s clearly bobbins.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

I think the biggest issue, which very few have mentioned, is Bristol literally pulling the ball out of the scrum. Why wasn’t l this dealt with? Also, you can’t compare the Back vs Ulster incident as there wasn’t video referees back then. Think Wigglesworth and Gene will get banned. Very poor refereeing today. Bristol should have been yelled carded 5-6 mins earlier.
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering