BRISTOL (H) - 5th June 2021 (NO CITINGS)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: BRISTOL (H) - 5th June 2021

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:53 pm Why didn’t we kick the penalty for the 2 points?! That point could make all the difference come next week!
That's really the question for me IMO.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:57 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:52 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:51 pm So..... Maybe better to go quick against 13
How? You can’t...

For it to be 13 they’d have had to have had the rigmarole on the sidelines, Afoa not coming on, lose another player and then wait for the uncontested scrum.

Ultimately that decision was Bristol’s.
I meant let them cheat, go to uncontested. It'd be quicker than all the messing about. Tempest just not strong enough.
I think the issue is, the officials can’t do that. He was marked as a tactical replacement to they have to have him back on within the laws of the game.

Only on person was at fault.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:54 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:51 pm So..... Maybe better to go quick against 13
We didn’t have that option as Tempest kept going over it, he should have just said “you now say he’s injured so it’s uncontested and you lose another player, who is coming off?”
He said exactly that at one point then seemed to change his mind.... after Afoa walked onto the pitch
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Just got back from the game.
Superb effort by the whole squad: Bristol great running but by messing about at the last penalty for what seemed like an eternity Bristol took the heat off. Pity it ended that way as the crowd, the game until then was a fine spectacle.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I think you are missing the whole point of what Bristol were doing there for over 5 mins they were holding up the game by having the argument with the ref about Afoa coming back on or not whilst he sat there & the rest of the players got refreshed and settled as they had just gone backwards 3 times.
He was always going to come they just delayed it long enough for the rest to get themselves ready for one last push.
Trouble was the scrum half picked the ball from within the scrum & kicked it out.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:33 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:29 pm

I think so..... It's less dubious than Bristol's antics.
Take your 2 smallest backs to the scrum and have Genge, Wiese and Nadolo to run at them!
I like that option..... We should have let them cheat and worked the consequences to our advantage. It all got a bit hot headed and testosterone laden.

T-Cup...... Thinking clearly under presure.
Wasn't us that held them to their substitute card it was the 4th official, as is his job. As for why Bristol wanted to go uncontested, well they were getting mullered in the scrum, it was only a matter of time, if we go uncontested they could cheat in a way Tempest had been letting them away with all game. That's the more honest option, it is also possible they just wanted to get a rest and reset for their pack and birdbrain's penalty memory...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

That was disappointing, although few expected a Tigers’ win before the game, but with a bit better game management, they may well have nicked it. Anyway, they’re improving and with a bit of luck, we’ll have top flight European rugby at WR next season.
Semper in excretia
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

By my maths we are guaranteed to finish no lower than eighth now unless Newcastle turn round an 70 odd points difference deficit.
A2O
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:17 pm By my maths we are guaranteed to finish no lower than eighth now unless Newcastle turn round an 70 odd points difference deficit.
One of Irish or wasps will climb above them today
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

I think the part that will concern the officiating review panel the most is that Bears manifestly gained an advantage from a yellow card - one which was too late being shown after multiple "final" warnings - part of that undue advantage was the time taken to deal with the secondary effects of the card, allowing the side under pressure to rest and regain their composure. Of course, we will never know because these reviews are conducted in secret.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Just watched the last 10 minutes.. what a joke! The scrum repeatedly going down is one thing, the lying is another! Unacceptable! And how they allowed Uren to pick the ball up as it’s still clearly at Wiese’s feet??? What a joke!!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Whilst I’m extremely disappointed by the way that ended - not well handled by the officials.

I’m a little confused as to why Tigers didn’t kick to touch, their line out was rock solid with Montoya and Lavinini on the field. The maul would have given us greater odds of the try for me.

That or as Scott mentioned - go for the sticks and the draw.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I haven’t seen a reply of the last scrum as I turned off in disgust (at the officials and gamesmanship). I thought their scrum half took the ball from the scrum, Wigglesworth certainly thought so too. If so, why hasn’t the TMO intervened due to foul play, should have been another yellow card.

I’m ashamed to say had I been in the crowd I too would have been booing and shouting ‘cheat’, even though I know it isn’t the right thing to do I don’t think I could help myself.

Appalling end to the game from so many different perspectives.

I’ve had a soft spot for Bristol since they got promoted, but not now. They stand zero chance against Exeter (who they will surely meet in the final) unless they play much better than today.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RichieB wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:05 pm I haven’t seen a reply of the last scrum as I turned off in disgust (at the officials and gamesmanship). I thought their scrum half took the ball from the scrum, Wigglesworth certainly thought so too. If so, why hasn’t the TMO intervened due to foul play, should have been another yellow card.
I have watched it again and it's as clear as day! Uren takes the ball from in front of Wiese's feet.. clearly still in.. think Dickson had probably gone home by that point though :smt012
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If Tempest hadn't bottled it, when Afoa had got back onto the pitch, simply gone under the posts awarding a penalty try.
Then, as time was up blown for full time.

I'm afraid he bottled it. 10 minutes into the second half, a penalty try would have been given a couple of plays earlier. The fact that this was the end of the game and the result depending on it should not have been a consideration.

Form me when a yellow card is given for a technical offence that could cause uncontested scrums; the opposition captain should be offered the option of the carded player remaining on the field and could nominate a player of his choice to serve the sanction (other than a front row for obvious reasons).