Wigglesworth

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Wigglesworth

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:36 pm Last thing I would hope not to see next year is WW paired with Burns. Where is the pace coming from? Give them both their pension books. :smt017 :smt009
Burns has only just turned 31. Bit early for his pension book. Should easily have two years left in the tank. The stint in Japan has been good for other players looking to get their bodies back into peak shape. Shorter less physical season and all.

Wigglesworth, I'm hoping he's increasingly more coach and less player. He did play better in the final than in previous weeks but that was a fairly low bar.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not sure on Burns sudden lack of pace has come from

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CN_1uaUnef ... =copy_link
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:10 pm Not sure on Burns sudden lack of pace has come from

He looks quicker!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

As I’ve said before Wigglesworth was a good signing for this season to add experience whilst Ben Youngs was away. Trouble is, like against Montpellier, Wigglesworth offers no attacking threat so opposition’s back rows have an easy time defending driving mauls and attacking scrums.
If he plays v Worcester I fear we could well end up losing.
JVP just has to play with Ben Youngs either starting or having JVP replace him.
I’ve no problem keeping Wigglesworth as a scrum kicking coach but his all round skill set based on the last few games isn’t up to premiership standard!
This is where we fans really do want to see that Borthwick does pick on form or will he pick Wigglesworth because he is an ex Saracen!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:33 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:10 pm Not sure on Burns sudden lack of pace has come from

He looks quicker!
George Kruis has said in an interview recently he had to drop some weight so he could keep up with the quicker but less physical style of rugby out in Japan. As such I doubt Freddie has got slower, probably the opposite.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Believe Steve Borthwick trusts Wigglesworth implicitly to implement any instruction given and be a leader to what still could be a very young on field side.A Saracens 'winning mentality' is also no bad thing for our players to pick up.Ability too, still remains.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:08 am Believe Steve Borthwick trusts Wigglesworth implicitly to implement any instruction given and be a leader to what still could be a very young on field side.A Saracens 'winning mentality' is also no bad thing for our players to pick up.Ability too, still remains.
Indeed, form can be temporary, class is permanent. For further reading I refer you to the case of: Murphy G, as a player :smt023 :smt044
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Like any player if he’s good enough he’s old enough
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Whilst I agree with many that our best scrum-half pairing in the 23 is Youngs and JVP I am surprised by some of the comments re Wigglesworth. I think he has been on the whole decent for us and filled in well as experienced cover for Ben Y when he was unavailable. Going forward I agree with the suggestion that Wiggy's future maybe as a coach and possibly an on field coach in A League and Premier Cup type games whilst being available as emergency cover for the Premiership. However could I suggest that Steve Borthwick is in a better position to judge whether Mr Wigglsworth is providing what he wants to see as a player and as a coach than we are and especially those that are biased against the player for his Saracens connection and his rather silly breach of Covid regulations along with other senior members of the Barbarians squad for which they were punished. That was a daft mistake but it is in the past and should not be a factor in deciding whether the player can make a positive contribution to Leicester Tigers future,
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:50 am Whilst I agree with many that our best scrum-half pairing in the 23 is Youngs and JVP I am surprised by some of the comments re Wigglesworth. I think he has been on the whole decent for us and filled in well as experienced cover for Ben Y when he was unavailable. Going forward I agree with the suggestion that Wiggy's future maybe as a coach and possibly an on field coach in A League and Premier Cup type games whilst being available as emergency cover for the Premiership. However could I suggest that Steve Borthwick is in a better position to judge whether Mr Wigglsworth is providing what he wants to see as a player and as a coach than we are and especially those that are biased against the player for his Saracens connection and his rather silly breach of Covid regulations along with other senior members of the Barbarians squad for which they were punished. That was a daft mistake but it is in the past and should not be a factor in deciding whether the player can make a positive contribution to Leicester Tigers future,
100% agree
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Wigglesworth's role symbolises exactly where we're at with the development of this team.

It seems to me that we're aiming to be a 'hard to beat' side. We work hard, scrap for everything, and pressure the opposition into mistakes. That's how we plan to win games. Wigglesworth embodies this. He does the basics better than most.

What's the next phase? We will likely need to become more proactive, take the game to opponents, be creative. This doesn't necessarily mean playing like a 7s side, but it does mean becoming less reliant on the opposition's mistakes.

Sarries did this better than anyone (caveat: with more money than anyone else). Their reputation was as a dull team, but in their pomp they played some scintillating stuff.

When we reach this phase, JvP may be a better fit for the game plan. Until then, it's Wigglesworth.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:29 pm Wigglesworth's role symbolises exactly where we're at with the development of this team.

It seems to me that we're aiming to be a 'hard to beat' side. We work hard, scrap for everything, and pressure the opposition into mistakes. That's how we plan to win games. Wigglesworth embodies this. He does the basics better than most.

What's the next phase? We will likely need to become more proactive, take the game to opponents, be creative. This doesn't necessarily mean playing like a 7s side, but it does mean becoming less reliant on the opposition's mistakes.

Sarries did this better than anyone (caveat: with more money than anyone else). Their reputation was as a dull team, but in their pomp they played some scintillating stuff.

When we reach this phase, JvP may be a better fit for the game plan. Until then, it's Wigglesworth.
Very good post. Or at least. I agree. Exactly my thinking with Saracens. In the first two / three years of the 'something special is happening at saracens' garbage. They kicked the leather off the ball, chased hard and were just very, very, very, very hard to break down. The other stuff was grafted on. Hopefully, we can accelerate the process, but that is the process.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

fentiger wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:34 am
Indeed, form can be temporary, class is permanent.

If that were the case MJ would still be captain, Deano No8.......Mohammed Ali would still be world heavyweight champion.

All sportsmen reach a point where the benefit of skill and experience become outweighed by age diminishing speed, strength, agility and stamina.

The wise know when to step away and let their reputation remain intact. MJ being a great example.

Class players tend to perform consistently to a high level. Form players tend to only touch that level intermittently. But time diminishes them all.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:50 am Whilst I agree with many that our best scrum-half pairing in the 23 is Youngs and JVP I am surprised by some of the comments re Wigglesworth. I think he has been on the whole decent for us and filled in well as experienced cover for Ben Y when he was unavailable. Going forward I agree with the suggestion that Wiggy's future maybe as a coach and possibly an on field coach in A League and Premier Cup type games whilst being available as emergency cover for the Premiership. However could I suggest that Steve Borthwick is in a better position to judge whether Mr Wigglsworth is providing what he wants to see as a player and as a coach than we are and especially those that are biased against the player for his Saracens connection and his rather silly breach of Covid regulations along with other senior members of the Barbarians squad for which they were punished. That was a daft mistake but it is in the past and should not be a factor in deciding whether the player can make a positive contribution to Leicester Tigers future,
Oh John, sorry I don't mean to be rude but are you the the club's PR Officer, you say Wiggy has been "decent" but we want better than that, youth is our future not in old players who are declining and I don't see re-signing Burns as a way forward either.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

mol2 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:53 pm
fentiger wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:34 am
Indeed, form can be temporary, class is permanent.

If that were the case MJ would still be captain, Deano No8.......Mohammed Ali would still be world heavyweight champion.

All sportsmen reach a point where the benefit of skill and experience become outweighed by age diminishing speed, strength, agility and stamina.

The wise know when to step away and let their reputation remain intact. MJ being a great example.

Class players tend to perform consistently to a high level. Form players tend to only touch that level intermittently. But time diminishes them all.
You may not have got my point... it was not to mean that players should play on indefinitely, merely that class is often more important than glimpses of stardust :smt023