Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Post by baz1664 »

Tigers team looks ace, pack looks huge, if we get the edge in the set piece and Ford is on his A game then I think we could nick it :smt041
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Given the size of Montpeliers forwards very surprised that Lavanini is not even on the bench seems Borthwick is of the same mind as Cockers when a player is off and/or out of favour. Wrigglesworth starting for me is concerning he is way off he pace and offers nothing in attack. Shame Montoya remains unfit, that said we have a strong squad and its a one off game. Come on Tigers play at our best keep 15 on the pitch reduce the penalty count and I believe we shall prevail :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Great side, I would prefer to start Youngs and have JVP on the bench, I think there has been a clear difference between the quality of Youngs form and Wigglesworth, having said that if you are going with Youngs and Wigglesworth in the 23 I sort of see why you start Wig, as he doesn’t offer as much off the bench if you need to speed the game up.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Strong squad. Only minor (and it is only minor) surprise for me is Wiggy starting and Scott being left out. Wiggy hasn’t quite hit form but I guess he is not fazed by this situation and is a good old head to have on the pitch, and BY is a great option off the bench. I’d personally have JVP on the bench and start BY but I see why SB has done this.

Scott not being in is a surprise also as I think he’s been rock solid. But then again, I never thought we’d have such depth in the Centres by this time this season. And Moroni knows how to handle the big games.

I get also why Muri and Zack are good bench backs due to the fact you can slot them in a number of positions.

Shame about Montoya not getting back but the resurgence of Tom Youngs under SB has been obvious and great to watch - he fully deserves to lead the team out. And if last week is anything to go by what a time for Genge and Nadolo to be hitting form!

Isn’t it great that the big thing that has shaken up the team and ultimately the selection this season is the Youngsters coming through.

COYT!!!!!!!!!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Reminder for some that Wiggles has won 3 European cups, and I expect we'll lean into our kicking game.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Maybe another reason for Lavi's omission could be the intention to cut down on penalties. He, at least, has the reputation as a penalty magnet?

For those of you not in the UK (at least France, Germany, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Netherlands, Italy, and Spain), the game is live free-to-air on France-3 from 20.55 CEST.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:12 pm Reminder for some that Wiggles has won 3 European cups, and I expect we'll lean into our kicking game.
That was then, this is now....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I agree with Borth's we are massive underdogs for this game, however we have quality and a punchers chance.
COME ON YOU TIGERRrrrrssssssss
:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Pellsey wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:27 pm
For those of you not in the UK (at least France, Germany, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Netherlands, Italy, and Spain), the game is live free-to-air on France-3 from 20.55 CEST.
Cheers, Pellsey, the beers are already in the fridge 🍻🍻!
Semper in excretia
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

ads wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:47 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:12 pm Reminder for some that Wiggles has won 3 European cups, and I expect we'll lean into our kicking game.
Only 2 years ago. Finals can be funny things. Weather looking wet too.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:13 pm
ads wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:47 pm
Only 2 years ago. Finals can be funny things. Weather looking wet too.
Battle of the forwards, kicking game and trimming to play in their half and minimise penalty count. Explains the selection and makes sense with the opposition and forecast. Will be an arm wrestle and I reckon we will come out on top 👍🏼
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
peteD

Post by peteD »

I don’t think any one expected us to be in a European final this season! Probably a season too early for jvp to have that sort of expectation on him, given how many 1st team games he’s played.
Wiggy had a better game last week (compared to more recent performances). Might not add any wow moments but will do a steady job. Looks like we are targeting the second half to up the tempo!
After quins on Friday, I don’t have many finger nails left; I might be down too :censored: stumps if the game is too close!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Middle of the road squad all things considered, which is probably the right approach for a final. Only thing I'd definitely done differently would be to start YBY and bring on JVP from the bench but fully understand that would have been seen as a risk.

Regardless I will be shouting for the team in an attempt to make myself heard by the team all the way from rural East Yorkshire (possibly from behind the settee). :smt026 :smt030 :smt100
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Good to see a lot of younger players picked on merit, in particular Kelly and Henderson.
Disappointing not to see JVP given the nod, it would have been very good for his development to play against one of the very best in Reinach.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

We can certainly expect a box kicking first half with Wiggy starting, I hope he is quick enough to get the ball away! Not my choice but hey ho.