TMO vs. Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: TMO vs. Quins

Post by Old Hob »

10 disallowed trys in the Bristol game last night. Mostly by TMO intervention.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Old Hob wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:34 pm 10 disallowed trys in the Bristol game last night. Mostly by TMO intervention.
Were the decision correct?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:48 pm
Old Hob wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:34 pm 10 disallowed trys in the Bristol game last night. Mostly by TMO intervention.
All of the ones I saw (8) were. Putting the kids to bed I missed two of them.

The most debatable was probably the Earl knock on in a ruck was the only one I thought "could" have been given the other way.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:50 pm Hilarious that people are still arguing the law when I’ve posted a link that comprehensively tells you that it wasn’t a yellow! Are people just doing it to wind me up,or maybe they can’t read,I’m not sure!
Was there head contact? Yes
Was there foul play involved? There wasn’t and Pearce initially said there wasn’t. Play on.
Would people like to me post the link again?!
Here it is again just in case!
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/17
Did you just look at the pretty chart or actually read the whole article?

20. Dangerous play in a ruck or maul.

a. A player must not charge into a ruck or maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding on to another player.

b. A player must not make contact with an opponent above the line of the shoulders.

Genge wasn't bound to the Quins player and he made contact above the line of the shoulder, so by the letter of the law it was foul play.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BrightonTiger wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:37 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:50 pm Hilarious that people are still arguing the law when I’ve posted a link that comprehensively tells you that it wasn’t a yellow! Are people just doing it to wind me up,or maybe they can’t read,I’m not sure!
Was there foul play involved? There wasn’t and Pearce initially said there wasn’t. Play on.

a. A player must not charge into a ruck or maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding on to another player.

b. A player must not make contact with an opponent above the line of the shoulders.

Genge wasn't bound to the Quins player and he made contact above the line of the shoulder, so by the letter of the law it was foul play.
Yes I clicked on dangerous clean out,same process. And watch your lip too ,"pretty chart"!👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:13 pm
ourla wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:48 pm
All of the ones I saw (8) were. Putting the kids to bed I missed two of them.

The most debatable was probably the Earl knock on in a ruck was the only one I thought "could" have been given the other way.
Yeah, I saw the Earl one - probably technically correct but really harsh. If I'd been the TMO I wouldn't have said owt. But I'm a big softy.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

In my opinion, Earl was always in control of the ball and the try should have stood.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Genge was wrapping with both arms and all of the officials agree that there was no foul play with respect to the clear out itself. It was only the nature of the head contact that was in question.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Noggs wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:03 am

Genge was wrapping with both arms and all of the officials agree that there was no foul play with respect to the clear out itself. It was only the nature of the head contact that was in question.
How does that work for scrums if the shoulder itself is off limits? I think it does actually mean above and not on. He does bind on, you could see it in the replay.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

In hitting the shoulder there does seem to have been glancing contact with the head but the contact was such that it had no noticeable effect on the player in question. Pearce saw it as a 'rugby incident' but Fowley and Barns persuaded him it was head contact and that it warranted a yellow. I don't agree with their interpretation and believe Pearce (who was responsible for the decision) should have stuck with his first decision.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Noggs wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:14 pm In hitting the shoulder there does seem to have been glancing contact with the head but the contact was such that it had no noticeable effect on the player in question. Pearce saw it as a 'rugby incident' but Fowley and Barns persuaded him it was head contact and that it warranted a yellow. I don't agree with their interpretation and believe Pearce (who was responsible for the decision) should have stuck with his first decision.
Not all contacts with the head will have a impact on the player but any contact with the head is trying to be eliminated from the game, reduction of risk. Genge made contact with the head and was yellow carded. TMO had visual evidence to support the contact. Players will eventually learn that they need to be careful when charging into rucks and mauls, likewise tackling lower. In my opinion, the decision was the correct one.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

Noggs wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:03 am

I don't believe it was a yellow card either and the same thing happens 10 times a game.

The original post implied that people were being stupid and couldn't read for debating it whilst ironically he clearly didn't read the full article he posted.