LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:44 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:37 pm Agree- think it will be EPQ. Don’t forget as well that Weise and Van Staden will probably miss chunks in the Autumn as well with RSA.
Considering Van Staden hasn't been ask to go to an alignment camp I don't know if he is in their plans
Who is SA openside these days?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RunTigerRun »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:42 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:39 pm Around 33 mins into the YouTube podcast if anyone is interested - sounds like it is a new signing rather than anyone already signed based of that, but I could be wrong.

With a base of:
6 - Hanro,
7 - van Staden, Reffell
8 - Wiese, Brink

Then question marks over Wallace, Coghlan, Lewis and whether Martin and Chessum are seen as locks or hybrids - could leave options.

Whatever happens - van Staden is a brilliant signing imo so if they are referring to him then I’m excited. If it’s someone else, given how excited or impressed JB and Cocker and the other bloke (apologies I can’t remember his name) seemed, I’m excited for any announcements... (and I agree I think it could be EQP based on our squad makeup so far)

Either way looking forwards to next year - and it’s great to see others talking positively about our chances!
Have you a link to the podcast please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td8rDRZ4lQs&t=2043s

Hopefully this works!

Good talk on the Quins game previously in the Podcast too - from roughly 29 mins into this link.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:46 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:44 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:37 pm Agree- think it will be EPQ. Don’t forget as well that Weise and Van Staden will probably miss chunks in the Autumn as well with RSA.
Considering Van Staden hasn't been ask to go to an alignment camp I don't know if he is in their plans
Who is SA openside these days?
Kolisi is their starting openside (No. 6 as SA do their numbers weirdly...!) - Although Marco did outplay Siya IMO in the Bulls Sharks game at the weekend. Doesn't help Marco that Kolisi is the captain.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes Kolisi,great player! How could I forget?! Will catch up on that game though,thanks!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:50 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:39 pm Around 33 mins into the YouTube podcast if anyone is interested - sounds like it is a new signing rather than anyone already signed based of that, but I could be wrong.

With a base of:
6 - Hanro,
7 - van Staden, Reffell
8 - Wiese, Brink

Then question marks over Wallace, Coghlan, Lewis and whether Martin and Chessum are seen as locks or hybrids - could leave options.

Whatever happens - van Staden is a brilliant signing imo so if they are referring to him then I’m excited. If it’s someone else, given how excited or impressed JB and Cocker and the other bloke (apologies I can’t remember his name) seemed, I’m excited for any announcements... (and I agree I think it could be EQP based on our squad makeup so far)

Either way looking forwards to next year - and it’s great to see others talking positively about our chances!

Hopefully this works!

Good talk on the Quins game previously in the Podcast too - from roughly 29 mins into this link.
Thanks!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:39 pm With a base of:
6 - Hanro,
7 - van Staden, Reffell
8 - Wiese, Brink
Personally I'd list it as

6. Liebenberg, Brink
7. Van Standen, Reffell
8. Wiese

Given that Liebenberg has played 8 when Wiese has not been on the pitch (and Brink and Liebenberg have) which suggests that Brink is thought of more as a 6 than 8.

Whichever way they spin it though it's exciting.

Am certainly interested in hearing who it is, I do hope Bondi cracks open the popcorn soon....
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:56 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:50 pm

Hopefully this works!

Thanks!
No worries! Quite a close game in the first half, and then the Bulls opened the game up from around 55mins onwards if I remember rightly.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:59 pm
6 - Hanro,
7 - van Staden, Reffell
8 - Wiese, Brink

6. Liebenberg, Brink
7. Van Standen, Reffell
8. Wiese

Given that Liebenberg has played 8 when Wiese has not been on the pitch (and Brink and Liebenberg have) which suggests that Brink is thought of more as a 6 than 8.

Am certainly interested in hearing who it is, I do hope Bondi cracks open the popcorn soon....
I see that - just going off Brink playing more at 8 for the Lions before coming to Tigers. He has played more at 6 though so can see him playing there more under Borthwick.

Popcorn would be nice this week - but with a Euro semi i can see it waiting at least until after the final.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:01 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:59 pm
6 - Hanro,
7 - van Staden, Reffell
8 - Wiese, Brink

6. Liebenberg, Brink
7. Van Standen, Reffell
8. Wiese

I see that - just going off Brink playing more at 8 for the Lions before coming to Tigers. He has played more at 6 though so can see him playing there more under Borthwick.

Popcorn would be nice this week - but with a Euro semi i can see it waiting at least until after the final.
It's a tricky one. Personally I'd do it before if they're all signed

1- it builds excitement around the club.
2- it could be overshadowed if in the immediate aftermath of a win.
3- it may be a bit bittersweet if we lose

Or I'd leave it a bit afterwards like a week or so..

Bondi if you're reading this, give us popcorn soon!!!!!!!!!
AusTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by AusTiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:49 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:20 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 am

Do we really need another backrower? Thought that’s been our strongest position this season, and that’s before you add in Van Staden joining us.
Maybe only if we are losing one or two and Martin is going into the second row permanently as RB said. I would personally prefer other positions to be added to though.
Could be we wanted a Lavanini replacement but couldn't get one so are forwarding plans to use Martin and Chessum in the row and are bringing in a big bloke for the backrow. An 8 or 6 would make sense as it would facilitate Borthwick's rotation policy further.
Has anything further been mentioned about George Kruis?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AusTiger wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:41 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:20 am
Maybe only if we are losing one or two and Martin is going into the second row permanently as RB said. I would personally prefer other positions to be added to though.
Could be we wanted a Lavanini replacement but couldn't get one so are forwarding plans to use Martin and Chessum in the row and are bringing in a big bloke for the backrow. An 8 or 6 would make sense as it would facilitate Borthwick's rotation policy further.
He's signed an extension in Japan I think
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:42 pm
AusTiger wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:41 pm

He's signed an extension in Japan I think
Found a link

He's agreed an option to extend his contract

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/ ... 30968.html
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't know if I see us announcing signings before June.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Don’t think they are talking about van Staden!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:37 pm I don't know if I see us announcing signings before June.
Agree, surely the next tranche of announcements is leavers (before the Bristol game if there are any suitable for a "goodbye" game, Ben White for instance if we were to beat Montpellier) then "joiners" confirmed after the end of the season for me.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!