Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Montpellier lost this weekend 32-10 away to Stade Francais. Granted they fielded a much changed weakened side as they rested their squad ahead of the final
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
bendy

Post by bendy »

When are we expecting team news? Weds lunchtime, or will it be pushed to Thursday?

Tigers are competing for a major honour this week, in a Twickenham final! Feels a long time since I've been able to say that. The countdown is very much on...!

COYT!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

bendy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:29 am When are we expecting team news? Weds lunchtime, or will it be pushed to Thursday?
Usually midday Thursday for a Friday game.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... 19269?s=19

Awesome news that Wiese confirmed fit for the final!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:09 pm https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... 19269?s=19

Awesome news that Wiese confirmed fit for the final!
I'll believe it when I see him run out at Twickenham.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Montpellier are currently lying 10th in the Top14 and have been close to the relegation zone and are certainly beatable.
They've played 23 matches, won 9 and lost 14. Points for 522 and against 498.
However, they've found some form over recent months and have notably won at Toulouse (albeit against a weakened Toulouse side) and at home against Clermont, and this month have beaten Toulon and La Rochelle (many first choice players were rested)) at home.
They've some experienced players in their ranks; hookers Springbok Bismarck du Plessis and former French captain Guilhem Guirado; current French prop Mohamed Haouas; current French 2nd row Paul Willemse; ex Saints scrum half Cobus Reinach; fly halves Springbok Handré Pollard and Alex Lozowski on loan from Saracens; France winger Vincent Rattez, fullback Anthony Bouthier and centre Arthur Vincent.

Tigers will certainly have to work hard to win and all will depend on their forwards gaining the upper hand. Discipline too, will be key as Pollard can kick goals from a long way out.
It could be a close game that Tigers should just be able to win.
Semper in excretia
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Again it will be down to fine margins, sensible refereeing and who wants it more.
Hope its us. 90 min not 80 min performance please and accuracy in the red zone.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Can’t add much to the excellent comments above.

Only thing I’ll say is having missed just one home game in the low points of the 18/19 and 19/20 (up to the COVID 19 stuff prevented us from going to WR), and watched the steady decline for many seasons before, I cannot express how delighted with Andrea Pinchen, Steve Borthwick and their teams on and off the pitch for starting to turn the good ship Tigers around. Even if we don’t win on Friday (and I think we will), the very fact we are in a final at Twickers in Steve’s first full season despite the state of the team and club they took over, is reward enough for this fan. Its pretty plain to even the biggest critics that we are getting better almost every game , the self improvement culture and squad identity is outstanding and the ground up rebuild of the pack in such a short time is exceptional. We are now back to a team that the other team knows they are going to have an unpleasant afternoon. A team that will never say die and are committed to the Shirt and each other. Aled Walters deserved a particular mention - the first stone laid in the Squad was fitness.

I am so so SO proud to be a Tigers Fan at the moment, have full belief that Tigers will be at the top again in a season or two, and can’t wait to be at Twickenham.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

We have to be thankful to have reached a final so have a chance to win.
Fans need to be realistic though as Montpellier had an injury crisis until the last few games: some of the major players in the pack and backs are back.
Looks like Ben Youngs and George Ford will get a chance to play against
Fly-half Handré Pollard and scrum-half Cobus Reinach!
We should be underdogs and so like others have said which team wants it most and keeps their discipline will win.
It’s the discipline that’s my main worry as we just don’t seem to learn from costly yellows/ reds or unnecessary penalties!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Will we play in our red,white and green kit?
Whatever happens, well done Tigers.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Have heard that they are struggling with injuries to their props? Could only have a senior and an inexperienced academy player.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Robespierre wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:48 am Montpellier are currently lying 10th in the Top14 and have been close to the relegation zone and are certainly beatable.
However, they've found some form over recent months and have notably won at Toulouse (albeit against a weakened Toulouse side) and at home against Clermont, and this month have beaten Toulon and La Rochelle (many first choice players were rested)) at home.
They've some experienced players in their ranks; hookers Springbok Bismarck du Plessis and former French captain Guilhem Guirado; current French prop Mohamed Haouas; current French 2nd row Paul Willemse; ex Saints scrum half Cobus Reinach; fly halves Springbok Handré Pollard and Alex Lozowski on loan from Saracens; France winger Vincent Rattez, fullback Anthony Bouthier and centre Arthur Vincent.

Tigers will certainly have to work hard to win and all will depend on their forwards gaining the upper hand. Discipline too, will be key as Pollard can kick goals from a long way out.
You are frightening me with that lot! Hope Reinach has lost some of his form he used to show for Saints, he was a really lively SH then and a very frequent try scorer.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Is it on BT, if so does anyone know if Tigers will be doing the BT Link as I have to watch on my computer? Thanks.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Coops wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:59 pm Have heard that they are struggling with injuries to their props? Could only have a senior and an inexperienced academy player.
Think they have one in front of the citing panel this evening, reckon they may be trying to overturn that one, may consider it worth the gamble for the final.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

LE18 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:42 pm
Robespierre wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:48 am Montpellier are currently lying 10th in the Top14 and have been close to the relegation zone and are certainly beatable.

You are frightening me with that lot! Hope Reinach has lost some of his form he used to show for Saints, he was a really lively SH then and a very frequent try scorer.
I’ll be honest, the previews of the game so far have focused on the so called ‘rockstars’ of the Montpellier team,not taking into account our own rockstars. We have the first choice England halfback pairing, one of the best young and experienced english props around, a back row filled with x-factor and hard work, one of the best full backs in the league and a world class Fijian on one wing.
Yes Montpellier are nothing to take lightly, but i’m sure they are looking at us the way we are looking at them!