QUINS (H) - ROUND 19 - 15th May 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: QUINS (H) - ROUND 19 - 15th May 2021

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:33 am Just want to add I thought Green was outstanding yesterday,best game in the shirt for me. And Wells and Martin weren’t far behind ,I bet both were close to 20 tackles a piece and both carried well too as well as bossing the maul.
Me too :smt023
We're still waiting on the other debate......
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

thebearisstilldeano wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:48 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:23 pm I often whinge about refs in longlivethecrumbie's earhole during matches. He is gracious enough to correct me now and then. 😉
However I am righteously frustrated by TMO constant interventions and slo-mo replays. I am reminded of Wayne's refusal to take such at Wuss 4 years ago, a free flowing game and one of Shazams best. A polite but firm "no, I'm fine with my view/decision " was his audible commentary.
Well said.
I know we might sound a bit "well in the good old days..." but I'm sure when TMOs were first introduced they could only contribute when asked to do so by the ref.

If the ref wanted to know what had happened they asked and otherwise the TMO stayed silent.

Their constant chirping is spoiling the game now and, I believe, undermining the authority of the referees. There should be one person in charge "Sir" and everyone else is there to support them. The TMOs need to understand they are there to serve the ref - not subvert "Sir's " authority by steering/coaching/or prompting them.

That said I can't imagine Nigel Owens putting up with the level of TMO chat we saw yesterday, so the refs too have a role to play in managing this. After all their jobs are at stake as the logical outcome is to do away with a ref on pitch and just have a jury of TMOs watching and re-watching the game on slo-mo replays. :smt012
I’m afraid the criticism of the TMO misses the point of how the match officials’ roles have developed. They now work as a team of four because, with the speed, intensity and intricacies of the modern professional game it’s impractical for one person to effectively manage it.
Obviously, the final call lies with the man in the middle.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

It should, (Rest with the man in the middle) but the TMO has a habbit of bleating on when he should can it.

Then they get it wrong (Dombrandt offside), Not clear and obvious? Look at the cut lines on the pitch.

I don't mind the team of four as long as they are consistent in their approach with other teams of four and referee off side and forward passes as zealously as the do foul play.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:27 pm Then they get it wrong (Dombrandt offside), Not clear and obvious? Look at the cut lines on the pitch.

I don't mind the team of four as long as they are consistent in their approach with other teams of four and referee off side and forward passes as zealously as the do foul play.
Technology available as per VAR to superimpose lines on screen, would stop any 'guesswork' :smt023
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:43 pm
BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:18 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:15 am

Happy with the two missed forward passes/offloads that led to two of their trys then? Foley like Ridley the night before was awful,whole thing needs looking at again end of season. The ref is in charge not the TMO!
I'm happy, Leicester got a BP win.
I could understand having a bit of a whinge had Leicester lost but blimey you whinge so much that you'll soon need a secretary during matches.
Who are these players who consistently don’t show up anyway? Don’t bottle it! It’s worth a debate I’d say
I'm not able to enlighten you.
Whether you can enjoy watching a game would be more worthy of a debate.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:58 pm

I could understand having a bit of a whinge had Leicester lost but blimey you whinge so much that you'll soon need a secretary during matches.
Who are these players who consistently don’t show up anyway? Don’t bottle it! It’s worth a debate I’d say
No,don’t come out with labelling players that consistently lack intensity and not name them. I and others would,don’t flip it on me. Just name the players please,you could have something.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

:smt017 So, you say there are players who consistently don't show up but can't tell us who they are? I'm damned glad SB is in charge and not you!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Backing up what others said I thought this was Callum Green’s best game for us.

I also reiterate my point, I wish he would run through the contact instead of stopping to brace for the hit, would make a big difference to his carrying game winning the contact and allowing the ruck to have forward momentum
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

fentiger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:11 pm

:smt017 So, you say there are players who consistently don't show up but can't tell us who they are? I'm damned glad SB is in charge and not you!
I'm also glad SB is in charge and not me or you.
I'd rather try and share a bowl with Rottweiler than try and have a sensible debate with you or Scott.
I think the game pretty much speaks for itself and needs no extra commentary.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:20 pm Backing up what others said I thought this was Callum Green’s best game for us.

I also reiterate my point, I wish he would run through the contact instead of stopping to brace for the hit, would make a big difference to his carrying game winning the contact and allowing the ruck to have forward momentum
Noticed that in his carrying too. But other than that very good,and noticed he communicates a lot too
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:23 pm
fentiger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:11 pm

I'm also glad SB is in charge and not me or you.
I'd rather try and share a bowl with Rottweiler than try and have a sensible debate with you or Scott.
I think the game pretty much speaks for itself and needs no extra commentary.
Can’t answer it can you because there ISNT one player who has consistently not shown intensity. Every player has an off game,Wells has been excellent ,dropped off but was superb yesterday. Martin was off colour lately but was excellent yesterday. Our replacement front rows have been fantastic all season but were second best yesterday for a change but as for your statement I,and others,think you are wrong. Don’t make statements if you can’t back them up,I do,even if I’m wrong!
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun May 16, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:26 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:20 pm Backing up what others said I thought this was Callum Green’s best game for us.

Noticed that in his carrying too. But other than that very good,and noticed he communicates a lot too
Saw more of him receiving the restart than I have before too?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fentiger wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:31 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:26 pm

Saw more of him receiving the restart than I have before too?
His takes were superb too!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean for me I thought Green played his usual game...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:38 pm I mean for me I thought Green played his usual game...
Must’ve been better because he stood out for me and he’s usually anonymous 😂