LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by BFG »

I reckon Olowafela just needs to play somewhere.
What does not fit now could fit in the future.
The fact is that the Tigers could not defend and that was more than just one individual.
Defence had to be the starting point, what is going to be interesting to see is how or if that evolves into something much more.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Olowafela under Murphy looked to be severely lacking confidence.

But seeing how our current coaching set up has improved players, I'd love to see Olowafela under Borthwick.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

London Irish have signed Ben White for next season according to The Rugby Paper.

It’s a shame to lose him. I was less disappointed when I saw he’s 24! I thought he was a few years younger than that! I appreciate that’s still young but I’d prefer to lose him than JVP with JVP being 4 years younger
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

TRP said that White was a target for LI rather than having signed I believe.

I think White has a lot of ability but JvP is already the better player. Even if Wigglesworth weren't here that leads to the question of, does White want to be third choice? Personally I think he's good enough to be higher up the pecking order than that elsewhere.

Law and Edwards are in the development squad too. I like what I've seen of Law. He was previously a fly-half and has a big boot on him. Similar to JvP he can hang a lot of height on his box kicks.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

ABClub wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:30 pm TRP said that White was a target for LI rather than having signed I believe.

I think White has a lot of ability but JvP is already the better player. Even if Wigglesworth weren't here that leads to the question of, does White want to be third choice? Personally I think he's good enough to be higher up the pecking order than that elsewhere.

Law and Edwards are in the development squad too. I like what I've seen of Law. He was previously a fly-half and has a big boot on him. Similar to JvP he can hang a lot of height on his box kicks.
I’ve seen a couple of reports. One said Irish were trying to sign him and the other one said they have signed him. I’m trying to find the one where it said they’ve signed him. Maybe it wasn’t The Rugby Paper but whoever it was, definitely said they’d signed him.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Found it! Ruck.co.uk have reported it saying The Rugby Paper have said it

https://www.ruck.co.uk/transfer-round-u ... HmjAZ_9dp0
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:44 pm Found it! Ruck.co.uk have reported it saying The Rugby Paper have said it

https://www.ruck.co.uk/transfer-round-u ... HmjAZ_9dp0
That basically means the ruck have read the rugby paper and sensationalised it and published it themselves...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Ruck is effectively a twitter page that had backing to build a website. Their articles are nothing more than very long retweets. They have no sources, they have no track record of breaking stories, they have very little original content. They just regurgitate stories from other journalists with significantly less eloquence and spread it across separate links to boost 'clicks'.

They are to genuine sports journalism what Peter Jackson's 10 hour Hobbit trilogy is to JRR Tolkeins 300 page children's book. Tripe with too many installments.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Ben White is 22 as well. He turns 23 later this month.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I’m sure White played in the 2018 u20 World Cup Final ?
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

ABClub wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:12 pm Ruck is effectively a twitter page that had backing to build a website. Their articles are nothing more than very long retweets. They have no sources, they have no track record of breaking stories, they have very little original content. They just regurgitate stories from other journalists with significantly less eloquence and spread it across separate links to boost 'clicks'.

They are to genuine sports journalism what Peter Jackson's 10 hour Hobbit trilogy is to JRR Tolkeins 300 page children's book. Tripe with too many installments.
They are a bunch of absolute cowboys.

I used to write a rugby blog, and once put out an article along the lines of “England’s Bizarre Selection XV”. It was tongue in cheek, light hearted and topped and tailed with respectful caveats about how these guys all earned their cap(s) and achieved something I never could. But it did have Joel Tompkins at 13.

5 years later Ruck had copied and pasted half the article on their site, removed all the respectful blurb and added a few names with just downright rude explanations. I called them out on it and they decided to ‘credit’ me, which just led to a bag load of abuse (the way they had presented it, it came across much nastier). I think they have finally taken it down now!
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I personally believe the the contradictions with regard to Ben White in two Ruck articles/stories simply comes from initially misreading and/or misinterpreting The Rugby Paper story when the paper first came out on Sunday morning - nothing to see except bad reporting....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

As it is nearing June 1st and contract renewal time presumably we will hear of leavers/renewals in the next couple of weeks as there seems to be plenty of activity elsewhere.
A2O
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I can see the majority re signing and possibly a couple of outs other than those we know about.
Incomings a little harder to judge.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Is Ben White injured ?

As I can’t remember the last time he played, otherwise there maybe truth in this