Re: Montpellier’s Form - Challenge Cup Final chat

Post by happywomble »

At least we can hope our line out isnt as woeful as Barfs
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

This is a snippet from an article in The Telegraph praising Weise and saying how it's likely he'll be picked for SA this summer:

'Wiese's signature move since arriving in the East Midlands has been open-field charges in the loose, skittling defenders and eating up yardage. Against Ulster, however, other strings to his bow were evident. In the below clip, in which he scores the try which ignited Leicester's comeback, it is his power after contact - his leg drive in the tackle - that takes him through Ulster's tight defence to score. It is a show of fearsome ball-carrying prowess.
There is nothing of a one-trick pony about Wiese, either. Only one player on the Welford Road pitch on Friday evening, Tigers lock Calum Green, made more tackles than Wiese's 15. The South African works as assiduously as an ox but he hits as hard as one, too.'
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:31 pm I also wonder if Weise hasn't been worked out. He was breaking the first tackle every time when people tried to power tackle him. A passive tackle, though, falling backwards and pulling him with the tackler seems to work and take the sting out of his rampages. This risks being trapped on the wrong side but stops a line break. If his charging power is nullified, this surely alters the balance of the argument between 'powerful attacker vs penalty machine'.
I wouldn't say he's been found out just yet, a key difference is when Genge, Montoya, Brink are on the pitch too there's plenty of different power runners being used. Against Ulster they were double tackling him, yet he was still providing quick ball, which in term meant there was a softer hole for the likes of the next strike runner going through.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Without question discipline will be important come the final but Montpellier's victory in the Semi final came as much from Bath repeatedly committing error after error and their set piece disintegrating in full public view. Montpellier gratefully took what they were given and Bath lost the game as much as Montpellier won it.Take nothing away from them - but give them nothing for free either.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Montpelier were terrible under the high balls so Fordy's spiral bombs with Nadolo chasing will cause havoc. They also made a lot of poor decisions under pressure in their 22, our continuity of pressure in that area will again cause them major problems. No silly penalties from us and my money is on a good win!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I hope that the gov rules plan doesn't change and that we can gather indoors as a group of 6 in order to watch the game with some mates and that some can then stay overnight - at mine or theirs. I think a big influence on our chances of winning will be if Montoya is back - SB said recently that he was training well and wasn't far away. Don't expect to see him this week but the Quins game may be a bench spot possibility.
Hehehehehehehehe
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Like others I was impressed with Montpellier's defence but less so with their attack. It has all the ingredients for a good close game but if we get our big runners going well and keep our discipline we have every chance of getting a win.

Not sure what the situation will be like with respect to French supporters but I expect even if some are allowed to travel most support will be for Tigers which may help with out effort.

This could be our first bit of silverware in a long time and get's us a place back in the Champions Cup for next season which is where we belong. Bring it on. :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

on paper they have an amazing squad, but with better handling and competent officials Bath could have won that semi
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We play at home to Quins the Saturday before while Montpellier are away to Stade Francais. These two team selections will be interesting. Will both coaches already know their 15? Is there one last chance for players to force their way in? If I had to guess both coaches will be nearly 100% on their starting XV and both starting XV will be a mix. Thoughts?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:18 pm We play at home to Quins the Saturday before while Montpellier are away to Stade Francais. These two team selections will be interesting. Will both coaches already know their 15? Is there one last chance for players to force their way in? If I had to guess both coaches will be nearly 100% on their starting XV and both starting XV will be a mix. Thoughts?
For the first time in years I have confidence that whichever set of players are selected they won't let us down! Strength in depth we certainly have :smt023
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Old Hob wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:31 pm I also wonder if Weise hasn't been worked out. He was breaking the first tackle every time when people tried to power tackle him. A passive tackle, though, falling backwards and pulling him with the tackler seems to work and take the sting out of his rampages. This risks being trapped on the wrong side but stops a line break. If his charging power is nullified, this surely alters the balance of the argument between 'powerful attacker vs penalty machine'.
This is the key point, if opposition defences start pulling him over with a passive tackle then get the other forwards into the breakdown ASAFP to trap that player in. A breakthrough run and a penalty kick to touch, with our line-out finally firing on all 12, are probably equally positive outcomes.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think we're being a bit harsh on Wiese if we're suggesting he has been found out. I haven't seen his stats from the Ulster game but I'd bet they were still very impressive.

He is a brilliant player who has been a key part of the improvement this season and is exactly the number 8 I have been praying for since about 2010. Probably longer. Ok, so sometimes players make a good passive tackle on him and he only makes 2-5 metres, but who in the world makes 20 yards every single time they carry the ball?

Watch his last couple of games again, count how many times that kind of tackle is attempted on him and then add up how many are successful and how many get brutally swatted away as he rampages onwards...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

DingDong wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 am Montpelier were terrible under the high balls so Fordy's spiral bombs with Nadolo chasing will cause havoc. They also made a lot of poor decisions under pressure in their 22, our continuity of pressure in that area will again cause them major problems. No silly penalties from us and my money is on a good win!
Agree with all of this. I expect to see a lot of spiral bombs and I just hope that Ford stays fit for the final :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Tiglon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:37 pm I think we're being a bit harsh on Wiese if we're suggesting he has been found out. I haven't seen his stats from the Ulster game but I'd bet they were still very impressive.

He is a brilliant player who has been a key part of the improvement this season and is exactly the number 8 I have been praying for since about 2010. Probably longer. Ok, so sometimes players make a good passive tackle on him and he only makes 2-5 metres, but who in the world makes 20 yards every single time they carry the ball?

Watch his last couple of games again, count how many times that kind of tackle is attempted on him and then add up how many are successful and how many get brutally swatted away as he rampages onwards...
Tournament stats show Jasper as the player with most carries (54) (Freddie Steward 2nd with 41), the player with most defenders beaten and the player with most offloads. I think that answers the debate. Incidentally the player with most tackles made is George Martin with 54. Other interesting Tigers players stats also. See link below:
https://www.epcrugby.com/challenge-cup/statistics/
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Let’s hope for once we don’t pick up too many injuries.
Sale away will be a good dummy run for the final as we never, in recent years, have coped with their physicality.
One game at a time as top 6 would be a huge sign of progress.
Hope lots of Tigers’ fans get to Twickers.
Chance to back the team which is what we’ve been waiting to do.