Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Away vs Bath 18th April

Post by ourla »

On the positive side...

We have highly experienced current English half backs so if we have a platform to work off they should be able to control the game. And they should both be fit and firing for this one.

I think our bench looks a tad stronger.

A game to look forward to anyhow and as long as we play well I can live with losing by a smallish margin.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I'm glad Priestland won't be banging over kicks from left, right and centre that's for sure.

Could actually be the difference.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The selection of WW on the bench is very strange, I have a feeling we aren't going to be trying to play any rugby on Sunday.

The lack of a genuine 10 for Bath in the starting XV is a bonus.

Seeing how Weisse does against that back row will be interesting, Underhill doesn't miss many tackles.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

Wigglesworth on the bench is an interesting one.

Agree that JVP is a lot more dangerous and dynamic than Wigglesworth, and if we need to up the tempo then he would have been the man for the job.

But, if we are up by a few points and its very tight with 15 minutes to get then Wigglesworth will give us a bit more control and experience. not saying JVP cant control the game but just that wigglesworth has been there and done it many times before.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Rob18C wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:02 pm Wigglesworth on the bench is an interesting one.

Agree that JVP is a lot more dangerous and dynamic than Wigglesworth, and if we need to up the tempo then he would have been the man for the job.

But, if we are up by a few points and its very tight with 15 minutes to get then Wigglesworth will give us a bit more control and experience. not saying JVP cant control the game but just that wigglesworth has been there and done it many times before.
Also may have something up his sleeve vis a vis Spencer? :smt017
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:08 pm I have a feeling we aren't going to be trying to play any rugby on Sunday.
Have a little faith.. lots of people (myself included) questioned the selection before the Connacht game and how we were wrong.

Borthwick has the best win % of any Tigers manager in the last 15 or so years! Ok so he's only been in charge for 17 matches but Pat Howard was the last manager to have a higher win % so I say let's give him a chance, trust his selection and his methods and see where we are after the next few games or perhaps at the end of the season. After 2 seasons propping up the bottom of the table and playing some absolutely terrible rugby we are turning a corner. We have won 9 out of 11 at home, are in a European Semi final (which we have a great chance of winning) and we are sat in 7th not far off 5th place. This is an incredibly tough fixture so let's see how we go first
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

There will be hiccups on the road but I'm loving the performances so far. Possibility of a fearsome squad next season.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:21 pm There will be hiccups on the road but I'm loving the performances so far. Possibility of a fearsome squad next season.
I know right! I really can't wait to see how Van Staden, Van Wyk and Snyman fit in.. a side with Genge, Montoya, Liebenberg, Van Staden, Wiese, Nadolo in is pretty exciting!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 15, 16, 18.... all academy graduates. 11 of 23, not bad in a professional sport.
Super User
Super User

What definitely would be a step forward would be for a change of tactics during the game if Plan A isn't working, that we are still to see.

I acknowledge we are in a better position than we were, but part of that is others coming down to our level as much as us being vaguely competent again, much like Weise being touted by some as the best thing since sliced bread, where we are in 12 months time will be a better time to judge.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:50 pm What definitely would be a step forward would be for a change of tactics during the game if Plan A isn't working, that we are still to see.

I acknowledge we are in a better position than we were, but part of that is others coming down to our level as much as us being vaguely competent again, much like Weise being touted by some as the best thing since sliced bread, where we are in 12 months time will be a better time to judge.
Plan A is defend better than the other team, if that ain't working what else would you suggest?

Warburtons tiger bloomer, top sliced bread in my opinion. :smt023
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:33 pm 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 15, 16, 18.... all academy graduates. 11 of 23, not bad in a professional sport.
That is outstanding
I'm not cynical just experienced
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:50 pm What definitely would be a step forward would be for a change of tactics during the game if Plan A isn't working, that we are still to see.
But Plan B can be to execute Plan A better :smt003

I also think sometimes games take on a bit of a life of their own. I remember someone saying that in commentary (not a Tigers game) that sometimes a game just opens up - one side goes for it a bit and then the other seems to abandon their tight game plan and joins in. I also remember some band members saying that about gigs - that there isn't always a rhyme or reason to it, some gigs the crowd is just up for it a bit, the band feeds off that and away you go. You always need a plan of course. But in essence a lot of teams are trying to do the same thing with perhaps a subtle difference here and there. Also sometimes your forced to play a certain way. If a couple of your most innovative/quick backs are out of action, your going to have tone things down a bit by default. If you think of most of the top teams at their best they'll combine similar elements.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Looking forward to Genge and Stuart fronting up. This is another good test to see where the Tigers are at.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Super User
Super User

The blindly sticking to Plan A regardless was a feature of Cockers reign.