6 NATIONS 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BengalTiger

Re: 6 NATIONS 2021

Post by BengalTiger »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:06 am Barnes is the best referee in the world, but I do disagree with some of his decisions yesterday evening. Even so, to call his actions "criminal", "disgusting", "biased" and "awful" is just outrageous.

It's not Barnes who needs to have a look in the mirror, it's some of you on here. Either you don't understand the meaning of the words you're using (in which case consult a dictionary before you use them again) or you have a less than firm grip on reality.

I assume this is the hyperbole that you refer to!

Personalty, I turned off after 60 minutes as Barnes was doing my blood pressure no good and it sounds like he was consistent for the full 80, we say we want consistency from the refs so he delivered on that score but I don't think that was quite what we had in mind.
I just want an even contest otherwise the game leaves a sour taste.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

6 Nations Team of the Tournament ( PA Media) :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/from-stu ... ournament/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

The team and player statistics are on the six Nations website:
https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/statistics/
They don't say how many times a team kicked the ball but it does give distance kicked. On that basis England didn't kick more and the the supposed best two teams kicked the most. England very low on the offload numbers and pentalties conceded yet low on cards. perhap a sign of consistently pushing the laws just beyond a referee's limit?
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

I wish people would stop moaning about the referees. Presumably they are the best available and given lots of feedback on their performance. If they aren't the best, who are they and why aren't they being used?

Supposing through some quirk of history the balls were coated in Teflon. None of the players able to consistently catch the ball. Would you blame the players or change the coating on the ball to have a better game?

I think it's more likely that the currents laws are impossible for the referees to referee consistently. One solution might be to simplify the laws?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Anyone else catch Pivac on the Good, the Bad and the Rugby podcast ? Certainly quashed any of the thoughts I had about him. Clearly tough and uncompromising, fearless and direct, he set out his roadmap clearly in the interview process, which seemed to lean towards him wanting to trial some things during the Nations Cup, then come out all guns blazing for the 6 Nations. He spoke about his backroom staff, stacking it with Jones, Jenkins (x2), Williams...ex-players with many caps, experience of the Welsh culture etc and how the current players tick. Not really surprising that it all came together in the 6 Nations, although he did allude to them having some slices of luck, but that they were in good shape before the red cards for the opposition. He also talked about not having to get the Welsh players up during the England match week. AWJ spoke at the beginning of the week about what it means to the whole of Wales and Pivac just sat back and watched the whole squad grow a couple of inches and the intensity in training go through the roof. I wonder if Eddie had the same effect on the English squad ?
Good times ahead for Wales I suspect.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:38 pm Anyone else catch Pivac on the Good, the Bad and the Rugby podcast ? Certainly quashed any of the thoughts I had about him. Clearly tough and uncompromising, fearless and direct, he set out his roadmap clearly in the interview process, which seemed to lean towards him wanting to trial some things during the Nations Cup, then come out all guns blazing for the 6 Nations. He spoke about his backroom staff, stacking it with Jones, Jenkins (x2), Williams...ex-players with many caps, experience of the Welsh culture etc and how the current players tick. Not really surprising that it all came together in the 6 Nations, although he did allude to them having some slices of luck, but that they were in good shape before the red cards for the opposition. He also talked about not having to get the Welsh players up during the England match week. AWJ spoke at the beginning of the week about what it means to the whole of Wales and Pivac just sat back and watched the whole squad grow a couple of inches and the intensity in training go through the roof. I wonder if Eddie had the same effect on the English squad ?
Ah it was his plan all along to lose loads of games in a row :smt002

I wonder if they trot out the patriotic speech every time they face England? Is that really what motivates a group of professionals, or is that just a lovely story for the Welsh fans? "It's all about you, Welsh rugby fans..."
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:35 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:38 pm Anyone else catch Pivac on the Good, the Bad and the Rugby podcast ? Certainly quashed any of the thoughts I had about him. Clearly tough and uncompromising, fearless and direct, he set out his roadmap clearly in the interview process, which seemed to lean towards him wanting to trial some things during the Nations Cup, then come out all guns blazing for the 6 Nations. He spoke about his backroom staff, stacking it with Jones, Jenkins (x2), Williams...ex-players with many caps, experience of the Welsh culture etc and how the current players tick. Not really surprising that it all came together in the 6 Nations, although he did allude to them having some slices of luck, but that they were in good shape before the red cards for the opposition. He also talked about not having to get the Welsh players up during the England match week. AWJ spoke at the beginning of the week about what it means to the whole of Wales and Pivac just sat back and watched the whole squad grow a couple of inches and the intensity in training go through the roof. I wonder if Eddie had the same effect on the English squad ?

I wonder if they trot out the patriotic speech every time they face England? Is that really what motivates a group of professionals, or is that just a lovely story for the Welsh fans? "It's all about you, Welsh rugby fans..."
Green eyed monster?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:01 pm

Green eyed monster?
Why?! What have Wales done that we havnt? I see this line trotted out often and it means nowt
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:12 pm

Green eyed monster?
Why?! What have Wales done that we havnt? I see this line trotted out often and it means nowt
You’re very excitable today.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:33 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:12 pm
Green eyed monster?
You’re very excitable today.
Just dropping the usual truth bombs as usual Dokie. I'm here all week,make sure you try the veal 😜
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:35 pm Ah it was his plan all along to lose loads of games in a row :smt002

He also capped a lot of new players, and tried to bring a more expansive style to Wales. The year after a world cup is the time to lose games.

To be fair, I don't know how many players Eddie Jones has capped since the world cup. But it does seem like England are at least 12 months behind Wales in the WC cycle. There's a lot of time for things to change though.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If you had seen the Scarlets play under Pivac it was obvious that there would be a period of adjustment with the national side.
As for the next World Cup Wales do have a few who will do well to get there, but so do England, Wales are definitely changing how they are playing, whether England are going to is another matter, but you have to think an opportunity was missed by EJ this 6N to try some other players & leave the rusty players out, but for whatever reason he chose not to.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:54 pm If you had seen the Scarlets play under Pivac it was obvious that there would be a period of adjustment with the national side.
As for the next World Cup Wales do have a few who will do well to get there, but so do England, Wales are definitely changing how they are playing, whether England are going to is another matter, but you have to think an opportunity was missed by EJ this 6N to try some other players & leave the rusty players out, but for whatever reason he chose not to.
Apart from at full back (where ironically England have endless options), we have depth like we’ve never had before. Biggar brings certain attributes that others don’t but I’ve never thought he fits the Pivac model but our best two tens are still out with long term injuries - Anscombe and Patchell.
Of the older players, AWJ will be 38 but every report you read, people say how he’s defies his age. Shaw was still top class at that age. Just hope Jon Davies can avoid another knee injury. The other aged 30+ players will be fine.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Throwing a Remy powered spanner in the works here, the strength of the Welsh isn't anything to do with the individual talent in any position.

You are not fighting a team with a weakness in any one position but a collective. Not the Klingons, but the Borg.

You have to break that collective spirit to win and this is a very difficult thing to do. The strength of the celt is gathered from a collective hatred of English (and other teams) supremacy and arrogance, so what, they've never won a world cup, or a European cup, but they know if they can get under the skin of a bunch of prima donnas who oppose them the collective will win. This is the threat.

Take note Eddie. Clive had it right. Thinking clearly under pressure. This is the way to beat a well organised, focused opposition.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:52 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:54 pm If you had seen the Scarlets play under Pivac it was obvious that there would be a period of adjustment with the national side.
Apart from at full back (where ironically England have endless options), we have depth like we’ve never had before. Biggar brings certain attributes that others don’t but I’ve never thought he fits the Pivac model but our best two tens are still out with long term injuries - Anscombe and Patchell.
Of the older players, AWJ will be 38 but every report you read, people say how he’s defies his age. Shaw was still top class at that age. Just hope Jon Davies can avoid another knee injury. The other aged 30+ players will be fine.
Where’s the depth? Who’s next in line at 1,2,3,4,5,8,12,13 for example. The lock cupboard is bare,after “The Warrior” I wouldnt even take the next in line in the Tigers matchday XV such is the drop off. Who is the next LH after Wyn Jones,hooker after Owens,TH are nothing to write home about either. Massive drop off from Faletau and is North a full time OC? What happens when JD2 retires? Strength in depth is something Wales certainly DONT have,imo of course.
Last edited by Scott1 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.