Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Injury/Suspensions List

Post by loretta »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:03 pm
loretta wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:57 pm Well I'm glad KVW will get a month to reflect on his, all too frequent, stupid decisions. The great shame is, if he'd made that tackle at chest/lower chest area, it could have been far more effective. Probable turn over in that position on the field. Maybe he should go and study the technique of Dave Lougheed.
Lougheed would of gone straight through the bloke.
Yep. Still can’t remember the name of the Richmond winger (a bit Italian sounding IIRC) who took a high ball half a second before Lougheed arrived. Perfectly legal tackle, delivered to the chest, with typical full lumberjack force. Poor bloke had to go for a lie down for the rest of the game.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The four week ban is not exactly out of the blue - we have to learn from this and adapt.The deterrent aspect of the ban must be noted.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

It might be either Spencer Brown or Dominic Chapman. Loretta 1997 season game away which I remember us loosing. I think Lockheed was a14 so Chapman as 11 is more likely. Hope this helps.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

The development of a quick saliva test for concussion is interesting. Depending on the level of sensitivity it may pick up a lot more incidents than the current HIA protocol.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Noggs wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:02 am The development of a quick saliva test for concussion is interesting. Depending on the level of sensitivity it may pick up a lot more incidents than the current HIA protocol.
Certainly from my understanding current HIA's are along way short of the 94% claimed in the testing. Number who come back from a HIA only to be missing the following week due to delayed concussion symptoms is a LOT higher than 3 in 50. Plus you could swab all players at halftime, even if no impact has been seen and it can help reduce brain injuries etc it's a win win for the sport
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

My apologies Loretta it was the Tetley’s Cup Q/F lose to Richmond in 98/99 season. Now I’m struggling to find the name. The quest continues.
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

Spencer Brown and Chapman are still listed as Richmonds main wingers in the 1998/9 season.
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

I believe World Rugbys approach at the minute is just a cop out, wiping their hands of the whole issue and putting the blame back on the players.

"Well the Laws are in place, its the players fault that its happening they just don't learn".

Neuroscience has shown that it takes 6/10 ths of a second to have a conscious reaction. A lot of these head contacts are happening in split seconds where the player doesnt have time to process the information and react.

How many times do you see players instinctively stick out an arm to try to intercept the ball. Conscious thought is incredibly slow so most of the time they are acting on instinct.

Premeditated high tackles should be severely punished but punishing players for every head contact wont change a thing.

Concussion is an incredibly complex issue and they are trying to fix it with a sticking plaster.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

BrightonTiger wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:56 pm I believe World Rugbys approach at the minute is just a cop out, wiping their hands of the whole issue and putting the blame back on the players.

"Well the Laws are in place, its the players fault that its happening they just don't learn".

Neuroscience has shown that it takes 6/10 ths of a second to have a conscious reaction. A lot of these head contacts are happening in split seconds where the player doesnt have time to process the information and react.

How many times do you see players instinctively stick out an arm to try to intercept the ball. Conscious thought is incredibly slow so most of the time they are acting on instinct.

Premeditated high tackles should be severely punished but punishing players for every head contact wont change a thing.

Concussion is an incredibly complex issue and they are trying to fix it with a sticking plaster.
So what would you have World Rugby do that wouldn't be a cop out and that will help reduce the number of concussions in the game?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 am
Noggs wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:02 am The development of a quick saliva test for concussion is interesting. Depending on the level of sensitivity it may pick up a lot more incidents than the current HIA protocol.
Certainly from my understanding current HIA's are along way short of the 94% claimed in the testing. Number who come back from a HIA only to be missing the following week due to delayed concussion symptoms is a LOT higher than 3 in 50. Plus you could swab all players at halftime, even if no impact has been seen and it can help reduce brain injuries etc it's a win win for the sport
My worry is that it’ll find a lot more concussive impacts outside of what we already know and basically render the game unplayable.

By that I mean if the saliva test was used on all players at half time, how many forwards would pass? does that mean they all get subbed?

I know it may sound ridiculous but I do worry that the head impact of many tackles is greater than we currently think and the game will be irrevocably changed as a result.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

BrightonTiger wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:56 pm I believe World Rugbys approach at the minute is just a cop out, wiping their hands of the whole issue and putting the blame back on the players.

I think they’ll go hard this season, to make a point and instigate the change to style of play, but then ease off.

That appeared to be what happened with the high tackle a season or two ago. Loads were getting sent off, now not so many do and I believe that is two fold. The style of play changed to accommodate but there was also a significant relaxing of the decisions the season after.
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

Crofty wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:42 pm

So what would you have World Rugby do that wouldn't be a cop out and that will help reduce the number of concussions in the game?
I think the first thing they should do is admit that it is a definate link between playing Rugby and long term brain damage, which is what the ex players want.

Orher than that look at other sports perhaps. American football are stopping attackers lowering their heads when going into contact. This is to prevent huge forces going through the top of the head and down the spinal column.

Their is evidence that have full contact blows as a child could be a problem. Looking at neck strengthening.

To be honest I don't know. If I had the answers I would be making a fortune and not driving patients to hospital. But the current approach isnt working.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Carreras has got 9 weeks for the eye contact which he admitted was intentional. I was a mid range offence with a starting point of 18 weeks reduced by 50% for the admission, contrition and good disciplinary record.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Noggs wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:57 am Carreras has got 9 weeks for the eye contact which he admitted was intentional.
My bold. And wow!

He's got some serious issues if he's deliberately trying to rip someone's eye out. If he was a Tigers played I'd hope to not see him in the shirt again.

I thought this was a thing long past... when was the last player to be found guilty of intentional eye gouging I wonder?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ourla wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:11 pm
Noggs wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:57 am Carreras has got 9 weeks for the eye contact which he admitted was intentional.
My bold. And wow!

He's got some serious issues if he's deliberately trying to rip someone's eye out. If he was a Tigers played I'd hope to not see him in the shirt again.

I thought this was a thing long past... when was the last player to be found guilty of intentional eye gouging I wonder?
The really crazy thing about it was there was absolutely no provocation that I could see. He just made a tackle then for no apparent reason decided to stick his fingers in the blokes eye - not just a silly reaction, he even looked around first to see if anyone was watching, had a think about it and then did it. Bizarre.