BT Highlights

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

BT Highlights

Post by YoWaGoWan »

Hi all,i have just watched the programme of the weekends matches which i thought was about two experts giving us their views on each match,so i was suprised that after the Exeter v Tigers showing there was not one mention of either team,not one mention of any incident,no mention of how good Exeter were or how well we played with 14 men,instead it was yet another debate on Sam Simmonds ( who i do think should be playing for England )but can we leave these debates for Rugby Tonight.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: BT Highlights

Post by RagingBull »

I thought Liebenberg outplayed Simmonds in that game.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:15 pm I thought Liebenberg outplayed Simmonds in that game.
You're not the only one
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

There are two highlights programs. One, I think it’s BT, just has highlights. The one on channel 5 has Flatman and Darden-Smith. They did chat about the game. Pretty sure it’s on Monday
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I’m fed up of the BT commentators. Whinging, chatting absolute nonsense most of the time and acting like petulant teenagers.. ok well mainly just one commentator in particular but bringing in players from opposition clubs to commentate doesn’t half make the chat one sided.

That said I’m enjoying the fact that every match is televised.. would rather be at the match in person but it’s nice to get the option to watch every game so can’t really complain too much
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I turn the sound off
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Post by YoWaGoWan »

northerntiger wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:36 pm There are two highlights programs. One, I think it’s BT, just has highlights. The one on channel 5 has Flatman and Darden-Smith. They did chat about the game. Pretty sure it’s on Monday
BT used to be just highlights but now has two " experts " Hugo & dayglow neither of which as well as Doyle mentioned anything at all about anything that happened in the match.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:29 pm I turn the sound off
I tried putting radio Leicester on for the commentary while I watched BT pictures. Really good value, you get 2 completely different games for the price of one!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

On the subject of BT - why on earth do they keep getting players from one of the clubs to be the assistant commentator?

Max Lahiff in the Bristol Tigers match was awful, it was like a poor mans Austin Healey, nothing more than endless "banter" and no insight whatsoever. Whoever it was in the Chiefs game was just plain dull - I nearly fell asleep every time he spoke, trotting out the usual cliches and offering no insight whatsoever.

If BT are going to have them on, at least give them a proper brief and make sure they add value.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:37 am On the subject of BT - why on earth do they keep getting players from one of the clubs to be the assistant commentator?

Max Lahiff in the Bristol Tigers match was awful, it was like a poor mans Austin Healey, nothing more than endless "banter" and no insight whatsoever. Whoever it was in the Chiefs game was just plain dull - I nearly fell asleep every time he spoke, trotting out the usual cliches and offering no insight whatsoever.

If BT are going to have them on, at least give them a proper brief and make sure they add value.
With Covid impacting travel etc I believe when the fixture is on the extra channel they are requesting the home team provide a commentator.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The assistant commentators being from the home clubs is generally on the Red Button matches and these matches would not normally be televised if it were not due to Covid. The Main commentators are being used on the Main Stream games. This is only a short term provision until fans are allowed into the stadiums.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

I have quite liked the different commentators for a change. There was a lady who was very interesting.

Some are a bit annoying but theres an amazing invention for those called the mute button.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:46 am The assistant commentators being from the home clubs is generally on the Red Button matches and these matches would not normally be televised if it were not due to Covid. The Main commentators are being used on the Main Stream games. This is only a short term provision until fans are allowed into the stadiums.
The input so far has been poor and one eyed but when it is a home player I guess this is to be expected. As said, it is only for the games shown on the 'Extra' channels and I am grateful that the games are being broadcast so all in all it is a small price to pay.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's so bad that they shouldn't televise the games at all - obviously. It's great that all games are being shown, but entirely possible for them to do that without inviting a player to talk nonsense for 80 minutes. I struggle to cope with Healey and, to a lesser extent, Dallaglio, but this is a whole new level of irritating.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the hint BrightonTiger, having been a TV user for a number of years I am actually a bit of a pro with the TV remote and am already proficient in the advanced features such as the mute button. Unfortunately I don't know how to mute one commentator only, or mute both commentators but leave other sounds such as players and ref. I'm sure that's been possible on other channels in the past, so if anyone knows a way to do this I would be eternally grateful, or at least moderately grateful for a few days.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I thought Max Lahiff was hilarious during the Bears game