LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by TheTigerKing »

Know little about Snyman but highlights suggest he's useful if not spectacular.

Little disappointed that was the headline signing...

That said, a great day's business and can see the DNA of this Tigers side now.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by RunTigerRun »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:16 pm South Africans now total 7 unless I’ve missed anyone: Van Wyk x2, Wiese, Liebenberg, Brink, Van Staden and Snyman
Jaco Taute in there
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:05 pm so what are we saying
Van staden ----> Taufua
Van Wyk --------> Gigena
Eli Snyman ----> Enever
Like for like as far as quality with possibly more potential than Gigena and Enever could give. Grunt up front, extra power in the second row engine room, and more mobility in the back row, great signings. Our youngsters no doubt will be mixed in when and where necessary to build the long term future.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:19 pm We need to remember that the salary cap is decreasing next season, I would expect a couple of the gaps in the squad that would normally be replaced like for like to be replaced with development players
Agreed, my expectation was something like this
Gigena - Van Wyk
Bower - (Whitcombe)
Lavanini - Kruis?
Enever - (Martin/Henderson/Chessum)
Taufua - Van Staden
Coghlan - (Lewis/T Smith)
Etc etc
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=ads post_id=770891 time=1615208803 user_id=997]
I've got to say that part of me is a bit dissapointed with the volume of Sout Africans we have signed recently.

I do hope our younger academy lads still get the oportunities they need to progress, as thats where our future is or should be.

Saying all that, I'll be chearing Tigers on in the finals with along everyonge else when we get back there!!
[/quote]

We are not up to the number that Sale have, but it's quite a collective. Just got to hope that the Kolpak rules don't change so as to adversely affect their playing status.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:19 pm We need to remember that the salary cap is decreasing next season, I would expect a couple of the gaps in the squad that would normally be replaced like for like to be replaced with development players
Agreed, my expectation was something like this
Gigena - Van Wyk
Bower - (Whitcombe)
Lavanini - Kruis?
Enever - (Martin/Henderson/Chessum)
Taufua - Van Staden
Coghlan - (Lewis/T Smith)
Etc etc
I think after his name was mentioned in WRW we the fans hung on to it, however enticing a player who has only just moved over to Japan, at a time where they are being linked to the likes of Farrell, Itoje, AWJ & Cipriani was always unlikely...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

As long as the academy pathway is not blocked off by it, then the addition of RSA players is fine for me. Honest, abrasive, hard working; and Wiese, Hanro and Van Staden add an element of class also.

With the strength of the pound Vs the weakness of the Rand, and the cap coming down, we need to box clever; Martin, JVP, Steward, Heyes all don’t seem to have been harmed. Long may it continue.

One thing I did notice, no Tom Youngs on the renewal list. Isn’t he out of contract end of this season?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

As RB said there will be more re-signings and signings, I think we just need to temper expectations a little bit
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:31 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:28 am Got to say, with all these signings my working from home productivity is pretty low...
:smt002 Glad to hear I’m not the only one......
Hope your bosses are not reading this. :argue:
Last edited by LE18 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:06 pm Our lineout calls and backline plays being called in Afrikaans then! :smt026
The backline won't be getting by if the calls are coming in Afrikaans the lineout might work though currently I don't think any of the hookers know any of the language. Still time to acquire some more though.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The biggest ones of that list for me are Chessum, Whitcombe & Kelly.

Great that Polar Bear is staying & Nemani will be able to play in front of a crowd at WR.

The SA's whatever...but if they block the progression of our homegrown players it's madness.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I have no issue with the strong South African contingent. Previously we probably had a similar balance but with Pacific Islanders instead. I think having a settled core of talented players is the key, if they are all South African, so be it, it may provide the players more stability and an easier settling in period. The key is how you supplement that core with homegrown/local lads to enhance the tie in with the club. The extensions of the younger lads seem to hint that is being taken into account.
Sarries managed it well, they had a strong SA presence originally with the likes of Brits, Barritt, Joubert, Visagie, Du Plessis, Botha, Burger (Namibian but came from SA rugby) etc etc, then steadily introduced a conveyor belt of academy talent. I look past the salary implications because that was mismanagement outside of players control, and probably outside of coaching staff continue. Were they complicit, maybe.
Exeter have also gone down a similar path. They did seem to lean originally towards a core of Australian players, Mumm, Dennis, White, Turner, Holmes, added to by a constant stream of local talent.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Agree that the development of academy players should be a priority however I feel that is the case with Heyes, Martin, Reffel, JVP and Steward that will still be the case.
Given Martin is with England he is clearly going to play a big part moving forwards and I would prefer him developing rather than having a big name lock. Snyman looks like a ‘lineout’ forward, his height and range in that area is something we lack with Green and Wells. It gives us more balance in the second row.
The depth in the back row is now excellent. Multiple options and far cry from where we were 18 months ago. The high injury attrition rate in these areas means its crucial.
The number of SA players is due to the quality that we can get for a certain price. It is something SB will have to manage within the squad but it is not something that I am unduly worried over. Borthwick has shown that if you are good enough and you are old enough. Martin, JVP and Steward (along with Heyes) have emerged under his tutelage and that is a comforting thought.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:33 pm As long as the academy pathway is not blocked off by it, then the addition of RSA players is fine for me. Honest, abrasive, hard working; and Wiese, Hanro and Van Staden add an element of class also.

With the strength of the pound Vs the weakness of the Rand, and the cap coming down, we need to box clever; Martin, JVP, Steward, Heyes all don’t seem to have been harmed. Long may it continue.

One thing I did notice, no Tom Youngs on the renewal list. Isn’t he out of contract end of this season?
Last time I spoke to Tom before Christmas, he told me he had 2 years left on his contract, so this year and next I assume, but its obviously getting near?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Can’t see Tom Youngs carrying on after the end of next season as Montoya will clearly be first choice
A2O