LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by RagingBull »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:02 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:00 pm Eli Snyman

Well that was kept quiet.
Not heard of him.. what’s he like?
He's a good player not Lavanini level though.
Could well be Enever replacement though (Who I forget was even in the team) in which case it's a smart signing.

A grafter.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by RagingBull »

so what are we saying
Van staden ----> Taufua
Van Wyk --------> Gigena
Eli Snyman ----> Enever
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Our lineout calls and backline plays being called in Afrikaans then! :smt026
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I've got to say that part of me is a bit dissapointed with the volume of Sout Africans we have signed recently.

I do hope our younger academy lads still get the oportunities they need to progress, as thats where our future is or should be.

Saying all that, I'll be chearing Tigers on in the finals with along everyonge else when we get back there!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://youtu.be/3fKo8C9Y7EQ

His highlights from 2 years ago
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Am I alone in reading all about the forwards' signings and re-signings (8 - 2) that the last one must be a star back new signing????
Hehehehehehehehe
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:07 pm Am I alone in reading all about the forwards' signings and re-signings (8 - 2) that the last one must be a star back new signing????
Thought that was it for today
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:07 pm Am I alone in reading all about the forwards' signings and re-signings (8 - 2) that the last one must be a star back new signing????
Ummmmmm......we’re done? :smt017
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:05 pm so what are we saying
Van staden ----> Taufua
Van Wyk --------> Gigena
Eli Snyman ----> Enever
First two yes, unsure on the third.
Given how little enever played, I’d rather have seen the minutes go to Martin, Henderson and Chessum.
Think we need a like for like replacement for Lavanini in terms of calibre and style. Lavanini appears a couple of stone heavier than Snyman.
Taking into account Van Staden is in the fringes of the Boks squad, I expected a bigger name for the last announcement. That’s said, I don’t know all that much about Snyman, so am open to what he brings.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:07 pm https://youtu.be/3fKo8C9Y7EQ

His highlights from 2 years ago
just watched it and he seems to be an honest player - hope he has progressed over the last 2 years.
Hehehehehehehehe
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:05 pm so what are we saying
Van staden ----> Taufua
Van Wyk --------> Gigena
Eli Snyman ----> Enever
Yes I’d say so although maybe with Green, Chessum, Martin, Wells, Henderson etc we’re covered and he’s another lock option that Borthwick thinks he can mould into a beast. Liebenburg has played lock as well so use the additional money in the backline ?
Last edited by westwinds31 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

ads wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:06 pm I've got to say that part of me is a bit dissapointed with the volume of Sout Africans we have signed recently.

I do hope our younger academy lads still get the oportunities they need to progress, as thats where our future is or should be.

Saying all that, I'll be chearing Tigers on in the finals with along everyonge else when we get back there!!
I think we all felt like that when we saw what happened at Sarries. However the reality is that we need to sign the best available players within our budget, regardless of where they come from.

The massive caveat to that is that we don't shoot ourselves in the foot and let our academy wither, however recent evidence suggests that won't be the case, and we'll basically operate a talented ensemble of players from a variety of threads.

Also, historically, we've had a strong Islander basis, with the Tuilagis, Rabeni, Goneva, etc. so it's perhaps more of a transition to a different source than anything.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

South Africans now total 7 unless I’ve missed anyone: Van Wyk x2, Wiese, Liebenberg, Brink, Van Staden and Snyman
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

We need to remember that the salary cap is decreasing next season, I would expect a couple of the gaps in the squad that would normally be replaced like for like to be replaced with development players
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

If you look at the makeup of our squad for next year, as we know it now, there is a significant volume of players from outside the UK. We know that the employment landscape has changed (South African's no longer being able to use the Kolpak route, for example, in cricket) - the club must have some idea what the situation will be next year for them to invest in bringing these guys in.