Next up London Irish - home - 5th March 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Next up London Irish - home - 5th March 2021

Post by BFG »

MCC1964 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:31 pm We must strive to keep 15 on the field for the whole game. From what I can see there has only been one league game where we haven’t had at least on yellow or red. And of course sometimes more than that...
We beat Wasps with a man less for a large part of the game though.
I think what is visible is the improved spirit which shows in defence.
Obviously we missed players like Wiese in attack against Bristol but I assume that the attacking options are something that'll take a bit more time.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

This is a srmtrange season but not just because if Covid! Borthwick has had plenty of time
to try out and find out about his squad but surely it’s now time to select what he believes( whilst the internationals are away) to be his best fifteen to put a run together to aim for top 4-6.
Other teams aren’t “resting” like us and put out similar match day squads each week!
The youngsters have to stay in the 23: Steward(1st name on the backs’ team sheet), JVP is one hell of a threat in the mould of Danny Care and Faf De Klerk, Zac Henry will improve his goal kicking and his kicking to touch is as good as Fords’. George Martin needs game time with us so hope Eddie doesn’t break him.
Beating Irish will be real progress as we have really struggled against their full strength teams( mind you we’ve struggled against most teams).
Away wins at Gloucester and Exeter would be a great launchpad for the New Tigers!
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:29 pm This is a srmtrange season but not just because if Covid! Borthwick has had plenty of time
to try out and find out about his squad but surely it’s now time to select what he believes( whilst the internationals are away) to be his best fifteen to put a run together to aim for top 4-6.
Other teams aren’t “resting” like us and put out similar match day squads each week!
The youngsters have to stay in the 23: Steward(1st name on the backs’ team sheet), JVP is one hell of a threat in the mould of Danny Care and Faf De Klerk, Zac Henry will improve his goal kicking and his kicking to touch is as good as Fords’. George Martin needs game time with us so hope Eddie doesn’t break him.
Beating Irish will be real progress as we have really struggled against their full strength teams( mind you we’ve struggled against most teams).
Away wins at Gloucester and Exeter would be a great launchpad for the New Tigers!
I have thought the same for a while! No other teams seem to be heavily rotating and seem to play similar sides each week. Borthwick should be aiming to win every game and not just target home games by playing a stronger side. We will see what kind of team is put out away at sandy park in a few weeks time...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

tigercub21 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:54 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:29 pm This is a srmtrange season but not just because if Covid! Borthwick has had plenty of time
I have thought the same for a while! No other teams seem to be heavily rotating and seem to play similar sides each week. Borthwick should be aiming to win every game and not just target home games by playing a stronger side. We will see what kind of team is put out away at sandy park in a few weeks time...
Saracens used to rotate their team heavily. They seemed to avoid the injury crisis of other clubs. We've seen Sale rotate their squad this season.

We can't buy a bigger squad for next season so we need to develop one. These games are helping us generate genuine depth. We should have left Bristol with league points. Borthwick wants a team whereby we can go away from home and dig in for league points without the big names. Lessen the fatigue and chance of injury for those key players who when you look at our pack are generally the all action ones. Make it more likely for them to be ready for the business end of the season.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:33 pm
Saracens used to rotate their team heavily. They seemed to avoid the injury crisis of other clubs. We've seen Sale rotate their squad this season.

We can't buy a bigger squad for next season so we need to develop one. These games are helping us generate genuine depth. We should have left Bristol with league points. Borthwick wants a team whereby we can go away from home and dig in for league points without the big names. Lessen the fatigue and chance of injury for those key players who when you look at our pack are generally the all action ones. Make it more likely for them to be ready for the business end of the season.
If anyone thinks that other teams aren’t rotating their squads they are not paying attention. We are probably rotating more because we have a new head coach who has inherited a number of players and needs to decide who he wants to keep. We seem to be targeting our home games which is fine by me and I suspect that once the international circus is finished we will play our strongest side every week.
A2O
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:14 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:33 pm

If anyone thinks that other teams aren’t rotating their squads they are not paying attention. We are probably rotating more because we have a new head coach who has inherited a number of players and needs to decide who he wants to keep. We seem to be targeting our home games which is fine by me and I suspect that once the international circus is finished we will play our strongest side every week.
Agreed. We are also being forced to rotate due to injuries, COVID, International call ups and suspensions so it’s perhaps not surprising to see the squad being rotated
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I think the other teams are certainly rotating - possible a bit less than us but still rotating. See Sale who left a lot of their big guns out for a couple of weeks. Others like Bristol, bath and Wasps are rotating by default due to high injury count....
Less is more....
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

The 'season so far' head to head stats on the premiership website make interesting reading for this match.

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/overvi ... 7#overview

Pretty even in terms of points, tries & penalties but the big differences for me are the metres made, carries and passing stat where LI are way ahead of us and the yellow cards tally which is 8 to 1 against us.

I guess it highlights the difference between the two playing styles. We have a tendency to kick; whether that is box kick and chase or simply kick for territory whereas LI tend to want to keep the ball in hand and run it more, much like Bristol. Aimless box kicking to their dangerous backline will only make for a long evening on Friday night.

Equally the yellow card tally shows that in 11 matches this season we have conceded 8 yellow cards to their 1. We have to keep our discipline and keep 15 players on the field. Yes we played well a man down against Wasps and up until the Bristol match I think we had the least points conceded while playing with a man down but aside from the sin bin period against Bristol the score in the remaining 70 minutes was 3-3 away to the best team in the league.

If we can keep 15 players on the field and not resort to aimless kicking then I fancy our chances in this one :smt023
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:47 am The 'season so far' head to head stats on the premiership website make interesting reading for this match.

Pretty even in terms of points, tries & penalties but the big differences for me are the metres made, carries and passing stat where LI are way ahead of us and the yellow cards tally which is 8 to 1 against us.

I guess it highlights the difference between the two playing styles. We have a tendency to kick; whether that is box kick and chase or simply kick for territory whereas LI tend to want to keep the ball in hand and run it more, much like Bristol. Aimless box kicking to their dangerous backline will only make for a long evening on Friday night.

Equally the yellow card tally shows that in 11 matches this season we have conceded 8 yellow cards to their 1. We have to keep our discipline and keep 15 players on the field. Yes we played well a man down against Wasps and up until the Bristol match I think we had the least points conceded while playing with a man down but aside from the sin bin period against Bristol the score in the remaining 70 minutes was 3-3 away to the best team in the league.

If we can keep 15 players on the field and not resort to aimless kicking then I fancy our chances in this one :smt023
My bold. Feels like this has been the case for a while now - even pre Borthwick. I’m not confident this is factually correct but it feels like discipline has deteriorated more recently, perhaps as a function of a more robust defence?
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:47 am The 'season so far' head to head stats on the premiership website make interesting reading for this match.

London’s Irish are not the drubbing boys that they once were. I read something from BT that the only team to beat them in 2021 was Exeter, so we shouldn’t take this lightly. That being said in the last two games, we have played teams that are know for playing the ball in hand and out wide and we have managed to nullify both of those teams to the point of beating one and pushing Bristol to the last minute. With a more first choice team on Friday night it could end up being a very tasty match.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So I bring good news all round... Man in the middle is Mr Barnes! The TMO from the last few games is not involved neither is CMK... all in all this is great news :smt023

Referee: Wayne Barnes (235th Premiership game). Assistant Referees: Christophe Ridley & Philip Watters. TMO: Stuart Terheege. Citing Officer: Brian Campsall.

:smt026
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:33 pm So I bring good news all round... Man in the middle is Mr Barnes! The TMO from the last few games is not involved neither is CMK... all in all this is great news :smt023

Referee: Wayne Barnes (235th Premiership game). Assistant Referees: Christophe Ridley & Philip Watters. TMO: Stuart Terheege. Citing Officer: Brian Campsall.

:smt026
The citing officer is a worry though...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/tigerslive/status/1 ... 57537?s=19

According to this from the Mercury, Martin may be allowed to play for us this weekend.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm https://twitter.com/tigerslive/status/1 ... 57537?s=19

According to this from the Mercury, Martin may be allowed to play for us this weekend.
Hope he does. Irish are a team who are bang on form and very dangerous, so I want all our top players that we can get our hands on.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

MCC1964 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:55 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm https://twitter.com/tigerslive/status/1 ... 57537?s=19

Hope he does. Irish are a team who are bang on form and very dangerous, so I want all our top players that we can get our hands on.
Exactly, a backrow of Martin, Reffell & Brink would be pretty intimidating!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.