Has Rugby Got a Refereeing Problem?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Has Rugby Got a Refereeing Problem?

Post by Big Dai »

It all went pear shaped when the game went professional. Or should have remained pear shaped and amateur, depending on your view.

What used to be a game for all sizes is now the domain of the ripped body built Adonis. Juggernauts of the athletic world in furious collision on green carpets,rather than a few fat boys ploughing through the mud.

We talk of collision and hit instead of tackle. We cat even set a scrum without instructions from sir and the choreographed farce that is the line out hoists player beyond the reach of a normal stepladder to receive a squint throw.

Full backs leap to heights that would have given Dusty a nose bleed and those poor mortals left on the earth have the responsibility to bring these witless winged wonders back to earth safely.

Referees and TMOs converse in a language more akin to an episode of Perry Mason that a 3 O'clock kick off at Twickers, Itself a rare enough event.

Everything's changed to get a free flowing game for the spectator. Who is this person and is he (she or other asexual pronoun) not wise enough to appreciate the fundamentals of what was once a wonderful amateur sport?

Let's get back to basics and quit the tinkering.

Rant over….. I'm off down the pub. Or at least I would be if it were open.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:52 am Lacey, he is up there with the very worse theres ever been!
Was never a fan of Lacey or Clancy but Frank Murphy has taken Irish refereeing to a consistent new low.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Not a jock wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:50 am Perhaps the question should be posed the other way round ie has refereeing a problem with rugby (union)?

Too many rules and too complicated rules to be applied consistently by refs from different cultures, countries, experience etc.

For example, even Nige and Sir Ian can’t agree if it was, or wasn’t, a knock-on by LR-Z (for what it’s worth, I don’t think it was but was a very fluky punt as it didn’t hit the ground or another player before it hit his leg).
I'd argue rugby as it is now is at odds with professional sport. There are too many rules, the ref can decide what does and doesn't get penalised, there's no standard for time off breaks (hence the weekend uproar), disciplinary hearings are subjective, and I'm sure others can think of more examples. Even the best refs have to use their judgment and players have to adapt.

Players don't go into a football game or NFL game wondering what they can get away with and how to play the ref
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:19 pm Players don't go into a football game or NFL game wondering what they can get away with and how to play the ref
Ironically there was almost the exact same scenario in football on Saturday as Wales first try. Except on this occasion the controversy was the ref disallowed Brighton's quickly taken free kick. Equally you must have missed all the controversies about hand balls, diving, VAR, etc.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:35 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:10 pm Let’s put it this way, if we look back at threads on this forum that has raging debates about the referee I can almost guarantee that it would be following a game that we lost...
Yes well that stands to reason as if you have a number of bad decisions against you then you are more likely to lose particularly if these decisions relate to tries not given or conversely tries for the opposition that shouldn’t have been given. The most annoying thing is that these incidents are looked at multiple times on screen yet still arrive at the wrong decision.
It was obvious to all except the referee and Welsh fans that neither of Wales first two tries should have been allowed
MCC is spot on. There are so many posters on here wearing Tigers tinted glasses who complain about any and every decision given against us, however minor and inconsequential they may be.
I often wonder how they can take in the game and be on the keyboard so much at the same time. Maybe therein lies the answer. They can’t properly take in the game!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Can't believe dodgy refs re being discussed and Bryce Lawrence hasn't been given a dishonourable mention :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 pm Can't believe dodgy refs re being discussed and Bryce Lawrence hasn't been given a dishonourable mention :smt005
Good shout. And also the worst ref from down under, Glen Jackson.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dokie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:32 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:10 pm Let’s put it this way, if we look back at threads on this forum that has raging debates about the referee I can almost guarantee that it would be following a game that we lost...
Yes well that stands to reason as if you have a number of bad decisions against you then you are more likely to lose particularly if these decisions relate to tries not given or conversely tries for the opposition that shouldn’t have been given. The most annoying thing is that these incidents are looked at multiple times on screen yet still arrive at the wrong decision.
It was obvious to all except the referee and Welsh fans that neither of Wales first two tries should have been allowed
MCC is spot on. There are so many posters on here wearing Tigers tinted glasses who complain about any and every decision given against us, however minor and inconsequential they may be.
I often wonder how they can take in the game and be on the keyboard so much at the same time. Maybe therein lies the answer. They can’t properly take in the game!
Such a positive post
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:00 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:32 pm

Such a positive post
Might not be positive but it is accurate. It’s so frustrating that too many have such a one sided and poor understanding of the game.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Dokie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:37 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 pm Can't believe dodgy refs re being discussed and Bryce Lawrence hasn't been given a dishonourable mention :smt005
Good shout. And also the worst ref from down under, Glen Jackson.
No, that is comfortably Bryce Lawrence in my book
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Dokie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:32 pm MCC is spot on. There are so many posters on here wearing Tigers tinted glasses who complain about any and every decision given against us, however minor and inconsequential they may be.
Were you on a keyboard during Wales v England on Saturday?
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:26 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:32 pm MCC is spot on. There are so many posters on here wearing Tigers tinted glasses who complain about any and every decision given against us, however minor and inconsequential they may be.
Only during breaks in play
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Dokie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:41 pm
Wonder no more.
Anyone typing during a break into play might've missed the first Wales try on Saturday.
No matter as there were plenty of replays.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:41 pm

Wonder no more.
Anyone typing during a break into play might've missed the first Wales try on Saturday.
No matter as there were plenty of replays.
That wasn’t a proper break in play. It only lasted long enough to narrow England’s defence.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Big Dai's take on the subject is very much mine. Back to the basics of the game but with empathy to the players..
So much time setting scrums is ridiculous. We simply engaged with the other side of the scrum and didn't push until the pill came in.
The fact that referees do nothing about crooked feeds drives me (and others I know) up the wall.
The opposition hooker has no chance of a strike against the head when the ball is fed at 50 degrees towards the locks.
The set scrum is ruined as a contest , we may as well go the whole hog and start by stepping over the ball.
Reading the reams of pages printed and on line, this weekend discussing the state of refereeing , there is hardly a mention of feeding but it is fundamental to the game. Why aren't the players and the fans screaming for that part of the game to be policed properly?
The number of times you see a scum set, the feed goes straight to the second row and the whistle goes for a penalty to them against the other team? Ignoring the first penalty every time.
I was pleased to see that the referee has admitted getting the first two tries wrong and Nigel Owens's affirmation of them. But let's not let the arrogant little off with a late apology. He was dismissive and rude to the England captain when waving away his more than polite enquiry.
A life long Tiger