BRISTOL vs TIGERS - Sat 27 Feb 21 (1300)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: BRISTOL vs TIGERS - Sat 27 Feb 21 (1300)

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Acko12 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:25 pm Strongest back line for next week in my opinion is
9 wigglesworth
10 Henry
11 Porter
12 scott
13 Moroni
14 Murivalu
15 steward

Not sure if nadolo is going to be fit so not included him. I think Porter carried very well in the 1st half and was solid in his kick chasing.
I reckon we may see Nadolo but certainly I’d have Van Wyk in there and I would like to see Porter at 12.

9 wigglesworth
10 Henry
11 Van Wyk
12 Porter
13 Moroni
14 Murimurivalu
15 steward
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:29 pm What have learnt today

Moroni and Montoya have the overseas berths in the team nailed on.

Porter needs to be in the 23 more often than not now he's fit, even when all are fit.

We do have good depth in the team and I'm confident in the future!
+1!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Pleased with effort but let’s not kid ourselves Bristol had as many players missing as us. This was an opportunity to get an away win with the right selection.
Nearly all of our tries have come from the forwards so to leave Montoya out and then take Lavanini off meant we’d lost our attacking threat. I’ve still seen nothing from our so called international fly half to suggest he’s ever going to be a Premiership player: yes Zac Henry missed a couple of kicks last week but his touch kicks get us close to the 5 metre line and he can mix up his game.
I too thought Bristol were lucky not to concede both a penalty try and yellow card.
Thought there was a knock on in the build up to one of their tries but could be wrong!
Irish will be far more difficult to beat next week as they play a similar game to Bristol and have no players out.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Promising signs certainly. Impressed by Chessum, Porter, Heyes and Reffell. Moroni was fantastic today, love the niggle he provides and when some more attacking structure is in place I think he will be absolutely class. Whitcombe and White also looked good off the bench.

Not to repeat the point about selection but add Brink into the pack (Tigers clearly lacked a big ball carried up front) and Wigglesworth at scrum half I think Tigers have much more of an opportunity to pick up an LBP or push Bristol further. However, all will be forgotten if the next 2 games are won, which becomes even more important as they have clearly been prioritised.

Bonilla has benefitted from being out of the side and being much discussed, but, based on performances, I certainly see him as behind Henry in the pecking order and battling with Mcphillips for 3rd choice.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

As an extra, Simmons very impressive in a brief appearance on the wing- it would be great to see him get some game time in the Championship this season I think (with Tigers win stocks pretty stacked).
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

12 is a real issue for us, Porter deserves a run there, Moroni probably deserved a yellow but for the first one.
Chessum played well but he certainly isn't an 8, but worthy of starting at 6 next week.
Still think the 9's would be better the other way round & Cole doesn't quite look the same of the bench.
Whitcombe earned the right to more game time, which is a big plus, Reffell proved again he is the best 7 in our squad.
Some big minuses today, some of the substitutions look pre planned, that was always one of Cockers weak points, the pig headedness to keep trying driving mauls was lunacy & I think our backline might be better off practicing back line moves & simple passing than joining driving mauls.
Sir was clueless, but not sure it's very fair on him to ref Tigers.
Result as predicted, scoreline closer than expected
To win is not as important as playing with style!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I agree Cole looks better as a starter, but I wonder if there is a reluctance to have both Heyes and Whitcombe on the bench and finishing together meaning we lack experience, so one has to start, and Heyes is more ready.
I like the look of Porter, I’d be having him and Van Wyk on the wings until Nadolo is back, Steward at 15, and Murimurivalu as the utility option in 23 shirt.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

This new game plan is making us much more competitive. We're not getting hammered.

But we're going to have to develop our attacking game to start winning matches like this. Teams who can score lots of tries will keep getting too far ahead.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Who spooked Díaz Bonilla?

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

He's a bag of nerves...
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Who spooked Díaz Bonilla?

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

He probably read people’s comments on here when he arrived and saw that there’s some people who only criticise players
Last edited by TigerBoy1880 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Looks completely out of form
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:25 pm This new game plan is making us much more competitive. We're not getting hammered.

But we're going to have to develop our attacking game to start winning matches like this. Teams who can score lots of tries will keep getting too far ahead.
Its all about winning sick to death of losing and not being hammered is no consolation.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Does this need a separate thread? All for commenting on a players performance with the match chat but don’t rate this.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:45 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:25 pm This new game plan is making us much more competitive. We're not getting hammered.

Its all about winning sick to death of losing and not being hammered is no consolation.
Exeter, second in the league have lost 4 games.
As have Sale, Quins and Saints. Falcons and Irish have lost 5 and Wasps, 6. Tigers have lost 6.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:45 pm

Exeter, second in the league have lost 4 games.
As have Sale, Quins and Saints. Falcons and Irish have lost 5 and Wasps, 6. Tigers have lost 6.
That’s a crazy stat! Doesn’t feel like it but shows that everyone is dropping points. And we are still a way ahead of bottom placed Gloucester!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!