Progress Under Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Progress Under Borthwick

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Before the season I felt we were likely to start out playing around the standard of a lower mid table, then as the players started to gel and get to know each other that we would end up playing at a top 6 standard of play, I can certainly see our standard of play progressing and as it turns out we're still well within shouting distance of those top 6 places so I'm cautiously optimistic as we approach halfway through the season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:05 pm Before the season I felt we were likely to start out playing around the standard of a lower mid table, then as the players started to gel and get to know each other that we would end up playing at a top 6 standard of play, I can certainly see our standard of play progressing and as it turns out we're still well within shouting distance of those top 6 places so I'm cautiously optimistic as we approach halfway through the season.
Agree fully, and if someone can't see the improvement, they are being wilfully difficult.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It's a slightly odd situation now, do we use the rest of this season with an eye on the future, not to the extent of the end of last season, but regardless of my personal view on Wigglesworth, what do we gain bar (potentially) short term from playing him, we need to see White playing with a better performing pack to see if it's a position we need to recruit in.
We are fitter, the pack is more competitive but still not great at converting chances, the farce of the lineout (touch wood) has gone away.
For all the talk of the Old Leicester coming back, the "Old" Leicester (the press & SB hark on about) played a 15 man game & the team I first watched were an enjoyable thing to see at 3pm on a Saturday or 7.30 on a Tues or Weds, we weren't all 5m lineout drives.
What has certainly not improved, in fact the opposite, is communication from the club, practically criminally in the current climate.
I don't want to be a copy of other clubs success, in the pro era, the other clubs to a large extent copied the Tigers way anyway.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Why not go for top 6?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I’m just enjoying us winning a few games if I’m honest ! Style of play is one thing, but seeing the desire and passion of the squad is a real joy. I’m even enjoying the losses, when you can see the players putting a shift in.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:05 pm I’m just enjoying us winning a few games if I’m honest ! Style of play is one thing, but seeing the desire and passion of the squad is a real joy. I’m even enjoying the losses, when you can see the players putting a shift in.
Yep, this is where I am at.

And looking forward to more layers going, as Wiggy said in his interview :smt028 :smt030
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

"PROGRESS UNDER BORTHWICK" .... For me a statement of fact.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

We have progressed massively under Mr Borthwick. If you look back to a couple of seasons ago, when we got thrashed by Exeter on the first day of the season under MOC, when a Baxter said we were blowing after 10 minutes and knew they would win. Now we have that fitness edge back. There is likely to be a slight drop off in performance as a game goes on but it’s not as noticeable as even last season. If we had a player sent off last season we would have capitulated but although the natural worrier in me was starting to rear it’s head, we didn’t look like losing against Wasps.
There is a mental toughness coming through.
I take your dislike WRFC of Wigglesworth, but that has been an astute signing. JVP must be learning heaps off him so not all Wars are won in the first battle. We have beaten the teams around us, save for that Irish debacle, so in a good place.
For what my opinion is worth, we are building up from the ground, once we are back at the top you can start to just add onto it. We need that solid base and having a few Tigers old boys and a coach who has no previous affiliation to us is a great blend.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

There has been a definite improvement

There is a recognisable game plan which has been matched by squad recruitment and performance

It will take time and long may this evolve and continue

Our ability to identify then judge on what we see on a game to game basis, to then comment positively should be our benchmark and challenge for ourselves as supporters-to test our ability to see, accept, appreciate and understand change and indeed the game itself

I’m sure SB and his team will see any deviations from this new strategy better than us

Our ability to see Tigers philosophy for our style of play emerge through our match day strategy, tactics and selection should, I believe form the basis of our comments and views as true supporters for the weeks ahead

In my opinion random negative comments about players errors and decisions add nothing to our much needed and significant contribution to the team and club. If we all truly believe that we are a valued part of the club as genuine supporters and I count myself in that number, then I will try and do my best to add value to this journey ...and I’m not saying that’s going to be easy either :smt005

“Rome wasn’t built in day” (but as Brian Clough famously said “I wasn’t on that job”
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

We’re on a journey. We’re not the finished article yet, and will no doubt take some losses yet this season, but we are headed in the right direction. Still a bit too much kicking for my liking, but that’s happening with England too. I am seeing a more aggressive and competitive pack starting to take shape, and my hope is as that continues to progress, it will give us the confidence to start to unleash the backs a bit more, move away from the ultra pragmatic approach.
Tigers of my lifetime have historically had a grizzly pack, but still knew how to run the ball. Be that cultured vision of Greenwood/Murphy/Mauger/O Smith, or cutting angles and footwork of Hipkiss/Goneva or outright smash brute power of Rabeni/Tuilagi(s).
One thing is becoming very clear, Borthwick is being very decisive and proactive on the squad. Those not in his plans are being cut loose quite ruthlessly. He is actively shaping the squad, not waiting it out. That is promising, and given the number of departures, announced and impending, I expect some incomings shortly.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:25 am
One thing is becoming very clear, Borthwick is being very decisive and proactive on the squad. Those not in his plans are being cut loose quite ruthlessly. He is actively shaping the squad, not waiting it out. That is promising, and given the number of departures, announced and impending, I expect some incomings shortly.
This 100%.
We can all have individual opinions, what's attractive and what's not, who's quick enough and who's not, who's strong enough and who's not, who's consistent enough and who's not, who might develop and who might not, but the opposition arent messing about playing for time and neither is Borthwick.
They might not win every game and they might make mistakes but to be honest I'm just enjoying being competitive again.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

As results go, last season we finished on 29pts, we're halfway through this season and already on 24pts - a good indicator as to how generally the squad are performing. We've also not had a proper hiding like we had last season on far too many occasions to mention, so i'm confident we're on the right road to where we finally want to be competing.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Borth's is clearly doing a good job, that is measured by the smiles on the players faces, they are enjoying playing in the side and the wins are helping with that. I don't expect to be at the top in one season, but looking at other results, no reason why this squad cannot make top 6 and get back in the top European Cup.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

DingDong wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:07 am As results go, last season we finished on 29pts, we're halfway through this season and already on 24pts - a good indicator as to how generally the squad are performing. We've also not had a proper hiding like we had last season on far too many occasions to mention, so i'm confident we're on the right road to where we finally want to be competing.
I was just gathering similar stats to show the same and whilst not wanting to speak too soon, the numbers do tell a story. Not sure how the tabulation will work on here but comparing last season to this so far we can see:

19/20. 20/21
Won. 6. 5
PF. 374. 203
PA. 609. 197
P diff. -235. +6
Tries for. 35. 79
Tries at. 20. 21
Pts. 29. 24

To me this shows better overall, a small improvement in ability to score points and a significant improvement in defence and stopping the opposition scoring. That to me is progress.

Hope this helps
As Good As It Gets
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

The tabulation didn’t work but hope you get the drift.....
As Good As It Gets