LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by MCC1964 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:02 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:53 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:34 pm Edgerton's WRW published today has Van Wyk as signed with us.
That's very good news. Hope it is true, and it does sound like it.
Edgerton's normally on point with Leicester info so it's the strongest thing I've seen so far.

It's likely any delay is to try and coincide with some other announcements, likely Hurd was announced early as he's joined immediately and it's tricky to not have him in Twitter pics and the like.
Also confirmed by the Northampton Chronicle. Is he related to ours (apologies if this has been confirmed) ?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE V: Borthwick Strikes Back

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:20 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:02 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:53 pm

That's very good news. Hope it is true, and it does sound like it.
Edgerton's normally on point with Leicester info so it's the strongest thing I've seen so far.

It's likely any delay is to try and coincide with some other announcements, likely Hurd was announced early as he's joined immediately and it's tricky to not have him in Twitter pics and the like.
Also confirmed by the Northampton Chronicle. Is he related to ours (apologies if this has been confirmed) ?
No relation
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

Do we think Ben White is out of favour or is Wigglesworth just being used this year to bolster the squad and be a guide for the youngsters and then take a coaching role next season? JVP is brilliant but I feel for Ben who has gone from second scrum half to 4th possibly when BY gets back from the 6 nations.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 pm Do we think Ben White is out of favour or is Wigglesworth just being used this year to bolster the squad and be a guide for the youngsters and then take a coaching role next season? JVP is brilliant but I feel for Ben who has gone from second scrum half to 4th possibly when BY gets back from the 6 nations.
I think you’ve answered your own question perfectly.. Wigglesworth has been brought in to add experience and help bring on the youngsters. I expect he will assume more of a coaching role as time goes on but for now with Youngs away he adds a huge amount of experience to our back line. JvP is fast overtaking White for the next spot in the pecking order.

I would imagine Youngs would be first choice if available with JvP as a back up. During the internationals I’d expect Wigglesworth to get a look in with JvP or White taking the spot on the bench. Clearly for European games or injury/rest then I’d expect White to get a little more game time.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:02 pm
Snoopydog68 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 pm Do we think Ben White is out of favour or is Wigglesworth just being used this year to bolster the squad and be a guide for the youngsters and then take a coaching role next season? JVP is brilliant but I feel for Ben who has gone from second scrum half to 4th possibly when BY gets back from the 6 nations.
I think you’ve answered your own question perfectly.. Wigglesworth has been brought in to add experience and help bring on the youngsters. I expect he will assume more of a coaching role as time goes on but for now with Youngs away he adds a huge amount of experience to our back line. JvP is fast overtaking White for the next spot in the pecking order.

I would imagine Youngs would be first choice if available with JvP as a back up. During the internationals I’d expect Wigglesworth to get a look in with JvP or White taking the spot on the bench. Clearly for European games or injury/rest then I’d expect White to get a little more game time.
Agreed. It’s good, healthy competition. Both JvP and Ben know that whenever they get an opportunity they have got to play their socks off. Freddie has shown that if you make the most of your chances when you get them, then you will be rewarded. I know some people or whining that JvP has been ‘dropped’ this week, but for me I think that is fine. He must surely win are confidence in the fact that he is being picked for the bench and starting position ahead of Ben. It’s up to Ben to respond as and when he gets his turn.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:13 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:02 pm

Agreed. It’s good, healthy competition. Both JvP and Ben know that whenever they get an opportunity they have got to play their socks off. Freddie has shown that if you make the most of your chances when you get them, then you will be rewarded. I know some people or whining that JvP has been ‘dropped’ this week, but for me I think that is fine. He must surely win are confidence in the fact that he is being picked for the bench and starting position ahead of Ben. It’s up to Ben to respond as and when he gets his turn.
JVP to the bench may come across as dropped but it may simply be squad rotation to give Wigglesworth some more game time and also manage the game time for JVP.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Suggest we get some peanuts in for the next visit of Chiefs.....

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/hoggy-i- ... terrified/
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Can we try REALLY REALLY hard to get Van Staden here soon, him finishing quarantine even in 2 weeks time would be useful!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
KUSADASI TIGER

Post by KUSADASI TIGER »

Saints prop set to move to Tigers this summer

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/spor ... ZgcAUa6LAc
be happy and save energy a smile uses less muscles than a frown
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Already mentioned on this thread
A2O
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Marco Van Staden listed in Rugby World Magazine's Stars of 2021 list. Full article here:

https://www.rugbyworld.com/in-the-mag/r ... 021-120663

Or for those that just want the short version:

Marco van Staden (South Africa)

While some players have struggled to adapt to the renewed emphasis on the breakdown laws, this flanker has thrived to become a standout performer for the Bulls.

As his coach Jake White says: “His breakdown skills are phenomenal. The way that he understands the role and understands the timing of what he does – whether he goes in, or folds around the corner and waits for the next breakdown – he’s getting better and better at that all the time.”

Van Staden, 25, won three caps for the Boks in 2019 and while he may struggle to usurp Siya Kolisi or Pieter-Steph du Toit if the World Cup-winning pair are fully fit, he’ll certainly be in the selection conversation when it comes to the British & Irish Lions series this summer.

Looks like he could be an outstanding signing. Just imagine Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese with Brink and Reffell on the bench!
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Mamukashvili released...
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

TigerMac3 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:00 pm Mamukashvili released...
A shame but not a surprise, with Montoya, Youngs, Clare and Kerr we still have 4 senior hookers plus Vanes
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Just surprised that it wasn’t Kerr to be honest. Always really liked Kerr but hasn’t had much if any game time under SB and seems behind Clare in the pecking order.
Last edited by TigerMac3 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Kind of been waiting for that tbh. Glad it's not Kerr as he looked really promising a while back. Pitty though as I'd like to have seen Mamu play a bit more.
Did he also fall foul of the foreign player rule?